Author Topic: Playing an extra keyboard through the TRS MS05 Speakers  (Read 1722 times)

Mikeonkeys

Playing an extra keyboard through the TRS MS05 Speakers
« on: November 28, 2022, 10:09:50 AM »
Hi there,

I am considering buying a Korg Nautillus 61 key keyboard which as no on-board speakers.  I am wondering if there's a way that the Korg could be played together with my Tyros 5 through the TRS MS05 speakers and if so how do I set this up?  Thank you. 
« Last Edit: November 28, 2022, 11:45:00 AM by Mikeonkeys »

Online overover

Re: Playing an extra keyboard through the TRS MS05 Speakers
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2022, 01:17:09 PM »
Hi Mike,

You can connect the second keyboard to the Tyros5's AUX IN jacks to play it over the TSR-MS05 speaker system. To control the AUX IN volume, go to page 2 of the Balance display. (Press the BALANCE button multiple times if needed.)

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2022, 02:44:04 PM »
Question for Chris...
As I only have one keyboard, I never used MIDI connections. So, related to Mikeonekey's question: if Korg would be connected into Tyros via MIDI, I assume Tyros would additionally play whatever is coming from Korg... Am I wrong in my thinking?

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

Online overover

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2022, 05:33:15 PM »
Question for Chris...
As I only have one keyboard, I never used MIDI connections. So, related to Mikeonekey's question: if Korg would be connected into Tyros via MIDI, I assume Tyros would additionally play whatever is coming from Korg... Am I wrong in my thinking?

Bogdan

Hi Bogdan,

No "sound" (audio) is transmitted via MIDI, but only control commands, e.g. which note number is pressed when, with which playing strength (velocity), and when is the key released again.

For example, you can use a MIDI connection to play the sound generator of your SX700 from another keyboard. Many users do this to use an 88-note hammer weighted keyboard. You could also connect a computer to your SX700 via MIDI or USB-MIDI in order to control certain parts of the keyboard from there (with suitable computer programs).

In order to reproduce the SOUND of an instrument through the speakers of another keyboard, however, an AUDIO connection is always necessary, as already mentioned.

By the way, the AUX IN of the SX700 is designed as a 3.5 mm mini jack. To connect the main outs of another keyboard to it, you need a special cable (2 * 6.3 mm mono jack plug to 3.5 mm stereo mini jack plug).

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: November 28, 2022, 05:34:35 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2022, 05:44:36 PM »
Thank you Chris, I get it now -I realized my brain was in hibernation when I asked the question  ::)

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

Online overover

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2022, 06:12:40 PM »
:)

Best regards,
Chris