Author Topic: limiting key range for voices  (Read 1509 times)

Offline lmederos

limiting key range for voices
« on: May 09, 2022, 09:04:25 PM »
Still trying to find my bearing on this keyboard.

Is there a way to limit the range of active keys for voices, e.g., limit the keys where a guitar voice will play to approach the actual range of a guitar?

I know other keyboards, e.g., MODX, can do this, but have not been able to find if the SX900 can.

Thanks!
-- Luis

PSR-SX900

Offline DerekA

Re: limiting key range for voices
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2022, 10:36:59 AM »
No, you can't do this on the keyboard itself without some creative use of split points, but then that limits layering options.

If you create a new voice using YEM you can limit the key ranges (by only assigning samples to the relevant ranges) but YEM brings a whole lot of other issues with it.
Genos

The following users thanked this post: lmederos

Offline lmederos

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2022, 11:25:42 PM »
Thanks Derek
-- Luis

PSR-SX900

Offline mikf

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2022, 12:05:20 AM »
Wouldn’t you just do this when you play?
Mike

Offline lmederos

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2022, 04:26:14 AM »
Yes but with multiple voices, easier to configure it in the voices to control which ones sound for which keys.

Kind of having multiple splits.
-- Luis

PSR-SX900

Offline mikf

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2022, 04:49:03 AM »
Yes, but if that happened one of the voices would just disappear, it wouldn’t play an alternative suitable note. Don’t see how that would sound right and I can’t see any advantage in this.
Mike

Offline lmederos

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2022, 06:56:38 AM »
Ranges would overlap as appropriate.  Yes some voices would disappear if the key is outside appropriate range for the instrument
-- Luis

PSR-SX900

Offline mikf

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2022, 01:27:30 PM »
So you are saying voices randomly dropping in and out is more desirable in a layered voice than sound continuity if one of the layers happens to land outside the “real” range for that instrument? I can’t see that. Layered voices is not even a “real instrument” simulation in the first place. I think layered voices dropping in and out would make little sense.
Mike

Offline Enildo

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2022, 04:15:46 PM »
Sorry, but it sounds like you're looking for functionality that you don't really need. You can limit the scope to your own liking.
Honestly, I don't see any reason to limit anything, if you can select how far you want to play.

Enildo
When word fail, Music speaks!

Offline DerekA

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2022, 10:26:41 AM »
To be fair, this is a fairly standard function on a modern synth such as MODX which the OP referenced. Splits and layers are set up by defining key ranges for the different voice parts. So if you are coming to an arranger from that kind of keyboard, you might be surprised to find it doesn't work that way.
Genos

The following users thanked this post: lmederos