Author Topic: Microphone?  (Read 2545 times)

Offline Michael Trigoboff

Microphone?
« on: May 08, 2022, 06:33:49 AM »
I’m getting ready to start experimenting with the vocal input features of my Genos. I currently have a Shure SM58S dynamic microphone.

Are there better choices? Would a condenser microphone work better? Any suggestions on particular makes/models?

Thanks…

retired software developer and Computer Science instructor
Grateful Deadhead emeritus

"He had decided to live forever or die in the attempt."
-- Joseph Heller, Catch-22

Online ckobu

Re: Microphone?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2022, 10:47:15 AM »
Hi Michael
The Shure SM58S can be used, but for home work a condenser microphone like Shure Beta 87A or Rode NT1 is a better option.
Regardless of the microphone, the most important thing is to set the basic settings well. You can see my instructions in the first video of this playlist.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7D3uE76oiLYidba12o8F7IQZXPW5i7YK
Watch my video channel

The following users thanked this post: Michael Trigoboff

Offline acparker

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2022, 10:54:20 AM »
I used a Shure SM58 for a couple of years, and it was fine, although I had to turn the gain almost to full to get it to pick up my voice.  I have since switched to a cheap(ish) lapel condenser microphone.  The problem was not with the Shure, but with the mic stand I was using for it.  I had a boom stand, and I found that no matter how I placed it, it blocked my view of the keys ... or the buttons, ... or cut across the display ... or I banged my hand against it when trying to turn the page.  And since I have to move it to the Church and back every week, one less piece of kit was appealing.

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2022, 01:37:52 PM »
I use a Sure SM58 Beta. It's a good mic but like its predecessor, the SM58, I find you have to place it right next to your tonsils to get decent pickup. I too am plagued with the issue of a boom. My guitarist and lead singer, Bob uses a headset mic by Sony. It's old but it works very well. He uses an old Electrovoice mic as a backup. It has a much farther pickup range than the SM58 series.

Try out a mic that lets you stay back 6 inches or so and you may be able to still use your boom. The headset is better, but then there's batteries. I can't tell you how many shows Bob and I have done where his batteries were brand new but died in the middle of a song >:(!
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

keynote

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2022, 07:21:06 PM »
I currently use the Shure Beta 87A vocal condenser mic. You pay quite a bit more compared to the Shure SM-58 but in my opinion, the extra cost is well worth it. But what is nice about the SM-58 is that it's really a rugged microphone. It can take a licking and keep on ticking as they say plus it's a very decent vocal mic that many professional singers will use on certain occasions. The Genos of course also has phantom power built-in which makes using a condenser mic like the Beta 87A a snap plus the Genos has the Neutrik (XLR) mic connection which helps improve the signal.

Here is an example of the Beta 87A in action which I recorded several years ago on my Tyros. I also employ the Vocal Harmony during parts of the song.

Don't Be Cruel

Offline MarkF_48

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2022, 12:22:14 AM »
The Beta series mics suggested are decent mics, but be aware that they have a 'supercardioid' pickup pattern. If you tend to move around a bit in front of a mic and move off center, you may lose some of the recorded signal level. A cardioid mic is more forgiving in this respect. It may take some practice to stay centered on the grille of a supercardioid mic, but they do work well. The narrower pattern may pick up less sounds from playing of the keys as well if you tend to play a bit harder.

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2022, 03:34:01 AM »
I also use the Shure SM58 for live performance connected to the back of the Genos with more or less satisfactory results . . . . . as long as I am kissing the mic while singing.

It looks like several people here use the Shure Beta 87A with probably better results . . . . so, I might get it.

One question. . . . . . can this model: Shure Beta 87A  be connected to the back of the Genos just like that ? I mean with no additional adapters ?   This for live performance. 

Thanks in advance.
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Offline MarkF_48

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2022, 06:55:43 PM »
The Beta 87A will need 48v phantom power from your keyboard and an XLR connection.  I don't have a Genos, but I think it has these requirements(?)
The mic will not come with an XLR to XLR cable. You may have a cable from your use of the SM58(?)

Evidently the Beta 87A is on sale at a few places for $207(US)
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Beta87A--shure-beta-87a-handheld-condenser-microphone

Mike2

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2022, 08:44:26 PM »
I have had for 20 years, and still use the Sennheiser e 945 Supercardioid Dynamic Vocal Microphone. It's a great microphone.

Offline Michael Trigoboff

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2022, 09:29:21 PM »
I ordered the Shure Beta 87A from Sweetwater. It’s on its way!
retired software developer and Computer Science instructor
Grateful Deadhead emeritus

"He had decided to live forever or die in the attempt."
-- Joseph Heller, Catch-22

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2022, 12:44:33 AM »
Thanks for the responses.

I really do not know about mics so it is good to have people on this forum that know about this.

Mark
Thanks for your response, it seems that the Genos meets the requirement to support the Beta 87A.

Michael T
You indicate you ordered the Beta 87A, and that you have a Genos. when you get the new mic, can you please share your experience with it . . . . like does it plug and play straight to the back of the Genos ? does it need some kind of adapter ? or power supply ?  etc.

Mike2
thanks for your report on the Sennheiser e945 . . . . it seems to be in the same price range as the Beta 87A  . . . . .. same questions . . . do you have a Genos ?  does it plug and play straight to the back of the Genos ? does it need some kind of adapter ? or power supply ?  etc.  it seems that this mic requires XLR-3 is that compatible with Genos ?

Thank you all

« Last Edit: May 13, 2022, 12:47:42 AM by Al Ram »
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Offline MarkF_48

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2022, 02:11:55 AM »
Al,
If you were using an XLR to XLR cable with your SM58, you would just plug the Beta 87A in the same, no adapters, no extra power supply. Then just enable the 48v phantom power on the Genos which will power the mic. The Beta 87A can not use an XLR to 1/4" if that might be what you have.

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2022, 03:12:47 AM »
MarkF

Thanks a lot.  that makes sense.   have a great evening.
AL
San Diego/Tijuana