Author Topic: Crossfade Registrations/Voices  (Read 1539 times)

Offline tyrosrick

Crossfade Registrations/Voices
« on: February 07, 2023, 09:06:17 PM »
Well, I finally have a Newbie question I've not been able to navigate even after reading and experimenting, so here goes: I want to gently crossfade one registration into the next so that the rhythm and voices 'linger' from the first reg, then slowly 'meld' into the second reg when I select it. Also, can this be done with voices so they do the same? Hope I explained this okay? 

Offline BogdanH

Re: Crossfade Registrations/Voices
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2023, 09:24:11 PM »
You explained that perfectly well. I'm not using registrations much, but to my knowledge, that's not possible.
I can only imagine this could be done only within a style, when switching from one variation to another (by using complex fill-in). That still wouldn't be real crossfade, but could sound like it. And of course it would also depend on style itself.. some simple rhythm could be crossfaded that way, I think. I never tried that, though.

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

The following users thanked this post: tyrosrick

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2023, 11:31:35 PM »
I agree with Bogdan.

The only way I can imagine it being done is to use the Volume knob as a crossfader. At the tale end of Reg 1 bring the volume down, push Reg 2, and then restore the volume. Only problem is, you may need to make a chord change on the left hand. If that's the case, use an FC7 expression pedal. It's not a true crossfade because there would normally be a crossover between the two Regs - both playing at the same time.

Anyone else have an idea about this?
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline DerekA

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2023, 09:45:24 AM »
It's not possible to do this.

The closest I can think of it having different voices on parts R1, R2 and R3. Then you could assign the volumes of these parts to the sliders, and manually crossfade between them.

As for the rhythm, you can crossfade between 2 MIDI songs which are playing back but that doesn't do what you are asking for either.

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2023, 11:52:14 AM »
Ideally you would need to be able to load 2 different registrations or Styles + OTS's simultaneously into 2 different "players" so you can crossfade.
But Genos/ PSR's only have the one player (unlike Korg who provide 2 players for such tasks).

John
« Last Edit: February 08, 2023, 12:19:03 PM by jwyvern »

Offline tyrosrick

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2023, 12:13:31 PM »
Thx everyone. Looks like it's not possible, but for all the other myriads of astounding functions Genos DOES do, and do well, I'm very happy.

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2023, 12:43:57 PM »
Probably the only features where something like the Pa5X would have you covered: seamless sound switching and being able to crossfade between styles.

However when you get used to registrations and practice I've found you can switch to another sound JUST before you start playing with it and almost perceivably negate the lack of seamless sound-switching on the Genos. If your timing is off you can otherwise end up with some ugly sound glitches it seems.

Multipad audios allow you to sometimes do a few things as well that might solve issues, so you can consider those.

I had to create a sort of end chord into silence in my Lonely Shepherd recording that the style didn't support. I used a multipad audio for that as you can hear/see at around 1.18 into the music here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IMvRI44NC4&ab_channel=AndrewKeyz
I had the registration trigger the multipad.
My timing was in fact not perfect on that particular recording, but I stuck with it for the video.
Without Music, Life would be a Mistake.

Check out my Genos recordings & performances: http://www.youtube.com/andrewkeyz

Offline tyrosrick

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2023, 01:03:19 PM »
Andrew: Good workaround and your video is most appreciated.

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2023, 01:28:24 PM »
Andrew...brilliant 👍!!
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.