Author Topic: Thinking about selling it?  (Read 3854 times)

Offline intheword

Thinking about selling it?
« on: October 05, 2021, 03:22:32 PM »
Hello forum friends,

I purchased my Genos last summer here in the U.S.  My job has had me very busy and I am having trouble finding the time to devote to learning this amazing keyboard.  I am starting to wonder if I should sell it because I probably only have spent 10 hours playing it since I got it.  It kind of reminds me of how people pay lots of money for a piece of exercise equipment, put it in their exercise room, don't use it much, and every time they walk past the exercise room they feel guilty because they are not using it.

Do you ladies and gentlemen have any idea what kind of market there is for a slightly used Genos?  This seems like the best place to ask that kind of question.

Thanks,
Robert

Offline Fred Smith

Re: Thinking about selling it?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2021, 03:36:26 PM »
Hello forum friends,

I purchased my Genos last summer here in the U.S.  My job has had me very busy and I am having trouble finding the time to devote to learning this amazing keyboard.  I am starting to wonder if I should sell it because I probably only have spent 10 hours playing it since I got it.  It kind of reminds me of how people pay lots of money for a piece of exercise equipment, put it in their exercise room, don't use it much, and every time they walk past the exercise room they feel guilty because they are not using it.

Do you ladies and gentlemen have any idea what kind of market there is for a slightly used Genos?  This seems like the best place to ask that kind of question.

There is a good market for Genos keyboards. New ones are hard to get. You won't have any trouble selling it.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline Toril S

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2021, 04:50:51 PM »
I would keep it!
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline intheword

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2021, 05:26:28 PM »
Fred, I thought the market might be good, but wasn't really sure.  Do you have any suggestions for a good place to advertise it for sale?  I'm not a big fan of Ebay or Craigslist.

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2021, 05:30:00 PM »
Fred, I thought the market might be good, but wasn't really sure.  Do you have any suggestions for a good place to advertise it for sale?  I'm not a big fan of Ebay or Craigslist.

Best place to start is here.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2021, 05:40:17 PM »
It depends on your locale. If you're close to major centers, you'll move it quickly. I'm with Toril. Only sell it as a last resort. Even playing it occasionally will be worth the investment. If you have time to get back at it in the future, you'll regret unloading it on impulse. It's of course, your call. Good luck with your decision ;).
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline mikf

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2021, 06:42:52 PM »
I would keep it!
I think that parting with a keyboard is against Toril’s religion ;D

Offline Toril S

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2021, 07:06:12 PM »
Excactly Mike!😀
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2021, 09:13:41 PM »
Robert
This is a really good time to sell it . . . . . because Genos is in short supply and there is demand. 

I would post it here on this forum.  Indicating condition, location, price, shipping, contact, etc. 

You should be able to sell quick if the price is good . . . . .

Thanks
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2021, 10:17:41 PM »
I fully agree with Toril unless you absolutely need the money for other urgent priorities …
 but who am I ? 🤪

JH

« Last Edit: October 05, 2021, 10:26:25 PM by Jeff Hollande »

Offline rattley

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2021, 11:47:42 PM »
Hello!

In the past 6 months I have had 3 unsolicited offers for my Genos.  They were $1000 to $2000 more than I paid for it when it was just released.  It's never been for sale. If I didn't love it so much I might have been tempted!  You should have no problem selling it.  -charley

Offline intheword

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2021, 12:30:55 AM »
Thanks everybody for your thoughtful replies.  This is hands down the best forum I have had the pleasure to join.

Offline mikf

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2021, 07:06:13 AM »
I know they are hard to get but really find it hard to believe anyone is so desperate for a Genos they would pay much more than the new price for a used one. I think I would be very suspicious of those kind of offers.
Mike

Offline intheword

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2021, 01:58:03 AM »
I would never try to sell it for more than I paid for it.  I don't believe in trying to take advantage of other people no matter what the "market" may bear.  If I decide to sell it I will definitely put a discount on it since it is no longer brand new, but it is very lightly used.  Still trying to decide.   :-\

Offline MarkF_48

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2021, 02:13:19 AM »
Besides posting it for sale to members here, if you're a member of Facebook, the FB  'Market Place' has been a good way for me to sell items locally. Unlike Craigslist, you can usually see who a potential buyer is which helps instill a bit of confidence of who you may be meeting up with. So far as eBay and Reverb, the fees, shipping costs, and sales taxes have pushed me away from those places.
Not an easy decision to sell gear sometimes and perhaps in the future you may find time to play with the keyboard more.

Offline intheword

« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2022, 05:46:27 PM »
Last week my company decided to do layoffs and I have lost my job after 10 years there.  Since I am 68 it is not easy to find a good job.  I have decided to sell my Genos and it is listed in the "For Sale" section of this forum.  Please let me know if you are interested.  The keyboard has been played VERY LITTLE since I bought it a little over a year ago and it is in excellent condition.

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2022, 05:59:35 PM »
intheword,

Now you will have all the time in the world to play it. I would give it serious thought about selling it.

Where are you located?

Rick D.

Offline intheword

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2022, 08:51:54 PM »
I have made up my mind.  I will miss it, but need to move on any pay off some debt.  I live in Maryland, half way between Washington D.C. and Baltimore.

tyrosman

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2022, 11:52:25 PM »
Last week my company decided to do layoffs and I have lost my job after 10 years there.  Since I am 68 it is not easy to find a good job.  I have decided to sell my Genos and it is listed in the "For Sale" section of this forum.  Please let me know if you are interested.  The keyboard has been played VERY LITTLE since I bought it a little over a year ago and it is in excellent condition.
if you are 68 i wish i was i would Retire ;)

Offline mikf

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2022, 08:11:08 PM »
Tyrosman, retiral is a much more complicated decision in the USA, as fewer and fewer people have the old fashioned final salary company pension schemes, and health care is not free. Here you mostly have to provide and manage your own retiral fund and have to be sure you don’t have the danger of running out of money if you live too long or the stock market goes into recession! Beware, that is coming in the UK as well!
Mike b