Author Topic: Update on recording and sending to Genos  (Read 1708 times)

Offline ugawoga

Update on recording and sending to Genos
« on: April 29, 2022, 05:58:49 PM »
Hi

After a long time learning and getting frustrated i have slowed down and worked on each stage going over and over until happy. Totally self teaching myself.
So far i am getting happier after a million and one  mistakes.
I have found out to get anywhere near a good level for recording to send to Cubase for editing, you need the Genos volume up to Three Quarters on the dial.
In Cubase i still have to raise the gain 10 to 15 db.
Convert each track to wave file.
After that using the Klanghelm VU meters is the best way to go for gain staging and what a difference it makes. ( Klanghelm Meter is only $15 or £11 roughly.).
Get everything to 18 Luf's and you are in the ballpark.
Now it is up to each and everyone to mix your song the way you like it and whatever you use.
I use Neutron and Ozone 9 with Tonal Balance to get the full spectrum for your sound.
I must admit that using Neutron to improve Strings is great. There is a lot of unwanted artifacts in Genos sounds which i think is all down to what genre the song is intended for.
If you use certain Styles for a song, things do not always go musically  perfect so to speak. Still quite a bit of EQ is needed in certain areas.
For an example i had a cymbol crash that had a thump at the beginning and ringing. Pull the low end off and find the frequency of the ring and pull out of the mix.
The more you mix , the more you hear mistakes and unwanted gremlins. Once you have done all of that unmask instruments so they do not occupy the same frequency and low and behold things start to stand out just nice.
Another big help for me is Gulfoss EQ, a secret weapon.
I am not perfect yet, but having a go. ;D
I now have four songs  mixed to what i hope is ok and then go slowly over the mastering part.
That is the final challenge
It's not over until it's over!!! :P

All the best
john :)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2022, 06:14:16 PM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Re: Update on recording and sending to Genos
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2022, 12:49:24 PM »
Hi John,

Good for you! It would be great if you could upload a finished song or two. We’d love to hear what you created.

I gave up recording Genos voices and went for VST voices instead. The Genos is a very expensive toy to be used just as a MIDI controller but that’s how I see it. One little trick I found was to use the Genos drum styles but re-map the drum voices to VST drums – although some of the Genos drum sounds are very usable as well. I downloaded some drum programs’ trial software. I really found them clunky to use and not worth the money. Besides, so many of them cater to the hip hop, dance, trance, metal, or some other music genre I have no use for. The Genos patterns are well thought out.

Another trick I discovered when deciding to use a voice from the Genos or VST banks is, when you audition the voice, it may sound terrible on its own but when used in the mix, it sounds great. I don’t fully understand why that is but a lot of voices are like that. Even the new strings on the Genos are sort of okay when played just by themselves but when used in the Genos mix or with a band, they really sound good.

Anyway, keep plugging away at it, John. I think recording the Genos into a DAW is fairly rare among our users. It's good to hear your stories and hints.

- Lee
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2022, 01:48:12 PM »
Hi Lee
Just taking my time to get things as i want to perceive them.
I will load all tunes when done.
Got four songs almost there.
Big tip though Lee, Gulfoss and for drums you cannot go far wrong with the Melda drums.
Melda drums are over $200 but wait for things like Black Friday and you can get for $120. The same with Gulfoss, wait for sporadic discount sales.
I have just gone though having a look at the possibilities with Melda Drums and it is unbelievable.
Also even with VST  Lee , for $14 Klanghelm VU  meters are the best thing for gain staging. Very accurate.
Still having minor problems with Cubase 12 as there is something wrong with the Control Room whch makes certain VST's Peak on the Average and the peak meter causing coughing and spluttering.
Lucky to find another with the same problem and Steinberg are now on the case. The workaround is to disengage the output sound driver and re- engage which for me is monitor 1 and monitor 2. A pain every time you open a new instance of Cubase.
The midi side with Genos is 100% at the moment.

All the Best
John :) 
    Ps Big football game in Uk Division 2 today  and looks like a sellout  Swindon v Barrow. Sounds great does'nt it, Not like New York or Boston etc They sound more important.
We could get promoted to Division 2 if we reach the play-offs. The league we are in is very tight and only two games left, so this is our last match at home.
  Above that is the Coca Cola leauge (div 1) and then the massive Premier League.
We are in the bottom league!! :P Just hope we do not get any Oxford supporters chimeing in ::)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2022, 11:54:50 PM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2022, 03:14:58 PM »
Great info again. Thanks, John.

Now that Covid is less of a problem, my gigs are picking up. There's little time for recording. Perhaps this coming winter?

I'm in four bands at the moment and am busy learning all their new tunes and how I can enhance their sound with the Genos. One band plays mainly Country music. I've worked with them for about eight years and have only played piano parts. I'm now adding pedal steel guitar, acoustic guitar, and strings. Just as registrations are a powerful tool, so are the four parts. The only thing I'd like to see improved is the selectable octave range for each part. Sometimes, I'll devote the upper octave to a harmonica or some other seldom used instrument. Problem is, it's sits too high in the register. With a +3 or -3 octave choice, it would open things up even further.

Nuts! I drifted off topic again, John. Sorry 'bout that mate. There's yet another pint I owe ya. Getting to your place is the challenge though ;D!
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2022, 07:46:31 PM »
For me, I always enjoyed playing with a band using my arranger as a stand alone instrument, most guitars, piano, and sometimes, a drum machine.

Cheers,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...