Author Topic: Transposed Chord not showing in Display  (Read 1576 times)

Offline brucerez

Transposed Chord not showing in Display
« on: April 28, 2022, 05:47:48 PM »
Hi,

When I transposed for example +2 and I play C chord in style mode, left hand, ACMP is on, the display shows still C instead of D.
Is there any setup to correct this?

Thank you

Offline Fred Smith

Re: Transposed Chord not showing in Display
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2022, 06:29:24 PM »
When I transposed for example +2 and I play C chord in style mode, left hand, ACMP is on, the display shows still C instead of D.
Is there any setup to correct this?

This has been discussed before, and there was no fix identified.

Personally, I like the way Yamaha does it, but I can understand why others don't.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline Toril S

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2022, 07:49:06 PM »
Yes, a little confusing. But you are in fact still playing a C chord on the keyboard. So I guess it is logical for Yamaha do do it this way.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline Gunnar Jonny

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2022, 07:49:22 PM »
..... Personally, I like the way Yamaha does it, but I can understand why others don't.

Right now I have a Roland BK9 on top of the rack, and Genos underneath.
When press the transpose up or down, Roland shows the chord transposed (sounding), while Genos shows the fingered one. If I remember it correctly, Korg and Ketron also shows the outgoing chord / sound.
If Yamaha implemented an option where you could choose between fingered or transposed chord to be visible in display, it would add something that the competitors don't have..  :) :D
Cheers 🥂
GJ

Offline Toril S

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2022, 09:28:05 PM »
That would be nice, yes!
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline brucerez

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2022, 06:05:59 PM »
Thank you all for your replies.
In my Korg arranger when I use the transpose, it shows the transposed chord in the display.
It would be great if Yamaha add this feature in the future firmware.

Offline mikf

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2022, 08:59:44 PM »
Does anyone really sit there watching the chord name come up on the screen to check if it’s right. Surely you know which chord you are playing, and if it’s wrong it will sound wrong. I just can’t believe that someone is reading music which calls for D chord, plays an F chord by mistake, didn’t know they played the wrong chord till they see on the screen they played an F chord, makes a correction to a D chord - all in real time while playing???
So why would this actually matter??

Mike

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2022, 09:20:07 PM »
Does anyone really sit there watching the chord name come up on the screen to check if it’s right. Surely you know which chord you are playing, and if it’s wrong it will sound wrong. I just can’t believe that someone is reading music which calls for D chord, plays an F chord by mistake, didn’t know they played the wrong chord till they see on the screen they played an F chord, makes a correction to a D chord - all in real time while playing???

The chord display is useful for practice, Mike. And helpful when you’re playing complicated chords like Dm7b5 to make sure you got it right.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

The following users thanked this post: p$manK32

Offline brucerez

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2022, 10:39:10 PM »

Mike

In some situation it could be helpful to have this feature.

For example, I perform with different singers and sometimes different musicians at the same time like a guitarist.
Depending of the singer's key, if I don't know how to play the song on her/his key I can easily transpose and don't need
to monitor the transposed chordw in the display. But it helps to find the transposed chords quickly and give them to the guitarist.
Different situation, different usage.