Author Topic: USB: PSR SX 900  (Read 1705 times)

Offline chax

USB: PSR SX 900
« on: April 27, 2022, 01:22:51 AM »

I am using  USB1 and USB 2.Quite often on switching on, the Contents of USB 1 is shown as USB 2 and vice versa in the KB display. Is it a defect or is a default feature?
Chax

BOAC

Re: USB: PSR SX 900
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2022, 02:45:36 AM »
The quick answer is I dont know, but experiment, note the socket labels and only PLUG 1 USB Stick in and see what it comes up as, then do the same in the other socket.

The reason I chipped in is something odd with the Yamaha Operating System happens when you have 2 USB Sticks in at the same time, I have some memory registrations from John Beesley called Classical Magic, If there is only 1 plugged in you read them normally, if you have 2 plugged in at the same time you have to read the SAME information but from a different part of the USB, his instruction read as follows:

Insert the USB into the slot at the
right hand side of the keyboard panel.
If you have a second USB stick attached
to your instrument, the ‘Classical Magic ’
USB stick will be mounted as USB2 rather
than USB1. If this is the case, where available,
please select ‘USB2’ and ‘USB2
Version’ first for each of the steps below.

Someone here will know why this is !!
Cheers

Offline Toril S

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2022, 11:01:58 AM »
It is not a defect. Same with agenos.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline hans1966

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2022, 03:37:46 PM »
I am using  USB1 and USB 2.Quite often on switching on, the Contents of USB 1 is shown as USB 2 and vice versa in the KB display. Is it a defect or is a default feature?
Chax

I tried this on my sx900, and had no problems.

I think the reason may be that USB devices are constantly being removed and inserted.

In my case they remain fixed, since I have previously saved what I need

Cheers

Hans
"Enjoying my SX600, and moving step by step through the journey of life"

Offline EileenL

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2022, 03:57:47 PM »
You have two USB ports at the back of the SX900. I plug one stick directly into socket and that reads as USB1. I then plug a small extension lead in the other socket that I can bring to the front of the keyboard which makes it easier to plug in a second one. That reads USB2. The trick is to always leave the first USB plugged in but only use the second one after you have switched on the keyboard and remove it before you switch of. This way the keyboard will always read the one that is permanently plugged in as USB1 and the one you use on the extension lead will always read USB2.
  I use a 32 Gb stick to store everything I need just as I would on a hard drive. The other stick I used for things I have downloaded to transport from computer to keyboard and save onto my USB1 stick. This keeps things nice and tidy.

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively, donegal

Offline DerekA

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2022, 04:11:14 PM »
The first USB that the keyboard detects is allocated USB1, the second is allocated USB2, etc.

If you plug them in one at a time after powering one, you get to control the order.

But unfortunately, it seems when you have more than one USB connected at power up, you can't tell in advance which one the keyboard will detect first. It does seem to be a bit random. I remember quite a bit of chat about this when Genos first came out.

Personally I think this is a design flaw - I would prefer that each port had a dedicated 'name'. But I guess there is some technical reason why it isn't so.