Author Topic: SX900 accessories – stand, expression and sustain pedal  (Read 9490 times)

Offline Lije Baley

SX900 accessories – stand, expression and sustain pedal
« on: April 26, 2022, 06:13:16 PM »
Hello!

I have a couple of questions regarding using the PSR-SX900 with an expression and sustain pedal. In preparation for this thread, I read the appropriate topics in the owner’s manual and the reference manual. I own the SX900 but have not yet had opportunity to unpack it as I have not been feeling well for last week or so. During this time of being “out of touch”, I am doing research on what accessories I need.

These are my questions:

1.   Do I even need a sustain pedal? I am not an experienced piano player but I would like to become decent at it. I have had formal musical training but with other instruments.
2.   What is the difference between a “footswitch” and a sustain pedal? They are both switches in a way, are they not?
3.   In reference to question #2, can I use a footswitch as a sustain pedal?
4.   Is there a particular footswitch or a sustain pedal you would recommend for the SX900? I have been looking at the Yamaha FC-4A and FC-3A. The -4A is a Classic “ON/OFF” sustain pedal while the -3A has “half-press” functionality but according to my research, this function isn’t supported by the SX900 anyway. However, the -3A can be used as two separate switches with the SX900.
5.   Do I even need an expression pedal? Reading through the manuals, I can see that an expression pedal can be used to control various parameters, like effects, filters and voice articulations within “Super Articulation Voices”. But, can all of these parameters be assigned to the control knobs and used like that or do you think an expression pedal is how it should be done and doing it any other way will only lead to teaching myself the wrong technique?
6.   Which expression pedal would you recommend for the SX900? I have been looking at the Yamaha FC-7. It is a bit expensive but it also seems to have received good reviews and I assume it is high quality because it says “Made in Japan” on the bottom.
7.   Is there a particular brand of keyboard stand I should look at? It seems that the K&M brand is very popular but also pricey.  When I had the Roland GW-8, I owned a Proel stand and was not really happy with it. The stands I have been looking at in the same store I bought the SX900 didn’t impress me either. What concerns me is the top surface on which the keyboards rests on. All of them have hard plastic and I’m afraid it will scratch the bottom surface of the keyboard. I would be really heartbroken if that happened.
8.   In reference to question #7, do you have any experiences with K&M “Omega” stands, namely the 18820 and 18810?

I welcome any suggestions you may have, thank you!

Cheers,
Antun

Divemaster

Re: SX900 accessories – stand, expression and sustain pedal
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2022, 07:17:21 PM »
Hi Antun

Once you are feeling better, and have had the chance to unpack your new PSR-SX900 I would spend some time getting familiar with its many functions before buying any pedals. Then you will be in a better position to decide whether or even 'if' you need a pedal.

My previous instrument was a Yamaha Tyros, and although I sold it, I kept the Genuine Yamaha stand which is their L-7B model
which you can look up online. I've found it to be a very firm platform on which to fit my SX-700 which is the pretty well the same size as your new keyboard.

Although quite pricey as a new item, there are now plenty of them around on the second hand market, and I'd highly recommend this stand. It has adequate padding for the keyboard, but you can always add more.

I would, personally, avoid Scissor Type stands. they are never very stable, especially the cheaper ones, and the last thing you want is your expensive new keyboard ending up on the floor if you are playing something lively.

The only other item you'll need is some kind of stool. Again, choose carefully. some are as hard as rocks, with cheap foam construction, and some are very flimsy and uncomfortable to sit on.  You want to be comfortable when you are playing.

Your keyboard will come with the Instruction manual as standard, but if you look on the Yamaha website, there is another manual for your keyboard, (The REFERENCE Manual), which has a lot of information that you will need. You can download it as a pdf for reference. Here's the link, and it's right at the bottom of the screen.

https://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/musical_instruments/keyboards/arranger_workstations/psr-sx900/downloads.html#product-tabs

Hope that helps you to get started, and hope you feel well soon.
Keith
« Last Edit: April 26, 2022, 07:19:36 PM by Divemaster »

The following users thanked this post: Lije Baley

Offline lmederos

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2022, 07:26:11 PM »
I second the advice about avoiding the "x-shape" stands.

I prefer the "z-shape"; another highly rated option and cheaper than the Yamaha is this one:  https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ZStd--on-stage-stands-ks7350-pro-heavy-duty-z-stand

Agree on the Reference Manual as being priceless.

-- Luis

PSR-SX900

The following users thanked this post: paulman, Lije Baley

BOAC

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2022, 02:36:32 AM »
Hmm Pedals. I too a year back was a new user to Yamaha let alone the SX900.
Like you I have had formal training (5 decades ago) on another instrument, the piano, and thought it would be essential to have pedals. I still do but not for the actions that the default settings the SX900 gives them.
I firmly believe that when playing music hands should be on the notes, same place as the concentration.
Therefore I wanted a pedal for OVERALL VOLUME (I call that expression) and that can only be the FC7 (I chose YAMAHA because of quality) Google the ££
After a while playing I decided the other pedal was to be for REGISTRATION and that the FC4A was fine for that again Yamaha, again Google the ££

Having decided those would be my pedals and their 100% function you need to go into the menu and change the settings, that bit is easy, saving them so that they never change,, hmmm teachers out on that one,, some say it can be done,, some say not,, I'm still looking !
You asked what the difference was, look at it this way
The FC7 is a linier device its the same as a knob 0 -100%
The FC4 is a momentary switch, no contact / contact. (Ideal for single functions) (It is NOT an on/off switch)
Cheers Good Luck

Offline mikf

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2022, 05:04:25 AM »
If you want these settings saved for your pedals set them up that way in a registration. Then you hit that registration at start up and you have it. And if you ever decide to change one pedal to another setting, (and no matter what you think now, that will happen at some point)  just hit that registration to get back to your start up setting.
In fact you can include other preferred settings in your ‘start up’ registration - like for example fingering mode. Most of the experienced arranger players have a start up registration which sets the keyboard to their preferred set up.
Piano type sustain pedals are nice and heavy and don’t move around so they are good even to use for simple contact switch purposes. Like start/stop accompaniment for example.
BTW, you seldom would want to use an expression pedal to control the whole volume of the keyboard, because then you would be also changing volume of the accompaniment. Typically people would use expression on the lead voice rather than the whole keyboard volume. Total volume is not actually something you should need to alter very much when playing, so the volume knob on the keyboard is usually fine for that.
Another point is that the accompaniment chord can be set to hold until you change chords, so with experience you will have time to move your lh to change settings between chord changes. Those hands don’t need to be anchored to the keys.
Mike

Offline DerekA

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2022, 11:01:18 AM »
If you want to play solo piano I would definitely recommend using a sustain pedal. A 'footswitch' will do the same job. You don't need anything expensive, I use a Stagg model which is just fine for me.
Genos

Online EileenL

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2022, 03:36:04 PM »
You can specify which parts you want the volume pedal to control. Just tick the boxes in the set up of volume pedal to what you want.

Offline Lije Baley

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2022, 06:20:49 PM »
Hi Antun

Once you are feeling better, and have had the chance to unpack your new PSR-SX900 I would spend some time getting familiar with its many functions before buying any pedals. Then you will be in a better position to decide whether or even 'if' you need a pedal.

My previous instrument was a Yamaha Tyros, and although I sold it, I kept the Genuine Yamaha stand which is their L-7B model
which you can look up online. I've found it to be a very firm platform on which to fit my SX-700 which is the pretty well the same size as your new keyboard.

Although quite pricey as a new item, there are now plenty of them around on the second hand market, and I'd highly recommend this stand. It has adequate padding for the keyboard, but you can always add more.

I would, personally, avoid Scissor Type stands. they are never very stable, especially the cheaper ones, and the last thing you want is your expensive new keyboard ending up on the floor if you are playing something lively.

The only other item you'll need is some kind of stool. Again, choose carefully. some are as hard as rocks, with cheap foam construction, and some are very flimsy and uncomfortable to sit on.  You want to be comfortable when you are playing.

Your keyboard will come with the Instruction manual as standard, but if you look on the Yamaha website, there is another manual for your keyboard, (The REFERENCE Manual), which has a lot of information that you will need. You can download it as a pdf for reference. Here's the link, and it's right at the bottom of the screen.

https://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/musical_instruments/keyboards/arranger_workstations/psr-sx900/downloads.html#product-tabs

Hope that helps you to get started, and hope you feel well soon.
Keith

Thank you so much for the kind wishes, Keith! It is much appreciated!

You are absolutely right – I can get the pedal if I need it. I’d like to learn to play the keys properly, first and foremost and for that I guess I don’t need a pedal.

The advice on the stand is much appreciated as well – I will look for a Tyros stand, even though I must tell you I live in Croatia and I don’t think many people could have afforded a Tyros. I will look all the same. If I may ask, why did you sell your Tyros and which version was it? I still have a Tyros 2 poster and ever since I got it, I’ve always wondered if I will ever own such a beautiful thing. It just struck me – while others had posters of supermodels and Lamborghinis, I had a poster of a Yamaha Tyros! Also, is the PSR-SX700 you own now an improvement on your Tyros? Sorry for the slight derail of the thread.

I don’t like the “X” stands either. I have had one when I owned the Roland and though I was always careful not to tip the keyboard, the contact surface was quite simply hard plastic that offered very little friction between the stand and the keyboard so I was not at ease. In addition, it wasn’t a very cheap stand at the time and I always found it surprising those contact surfaces weren’t rubber. I was surprising because I own a guitar case from that same manufacturer and it is really quite excellent. The best one I’ve seen actually.

I haven’t even considered I’ll need a keyboard chair! I will look what’s available and report back.

As for the reference manual, I downloaded it and you are right – it goes much more in depth than the owner’s manual. I printed it out and am reading it while I’m in bed.

Thanks again, Keith! You are very kind.

All the best,
Antun

Offline Lije Baley

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2022, 06:26:25 PM »
I second the advice about avoiding the "x-shape" stands.

I prefer the "z-shape"; another highly rated option and cheaper than the Yamaha is this one:  https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ZStd--on-stage-stands-ks7350-pro-heavy-duty-z-stand

Agree on the Reference Manual as being priceless.

Hi Luis and thanks for your contribution!

Right, the “X” stands are out. One thing I found unusual when I owned the Roland and a stand like this was that there was no room for legs! I mean, I had some Roland pedal at the time and it had to be in front of the stand which meant that I had to move away from the instrument to use it which, in turn, certainly didn’t help me use it.

Thanks for welcoming me so warmly the other day, mate. It is much appreciated 😊

Cheers,
Antun

Offline Lije Baley

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2022, 06:42:08 PM »
Hmm Pedals. I too a year back was a new user to Yamaha let alone the SX900.
Like you I have had formal training (5 decades ago) on another instrument, the piano, and thought it would be essential to have pedals. I still do but not for the actions that the default settings the SX900 gives them.
I firmly believe that when playing music hands should be on the notes, same place as the concentration.
Therefore I wanted a pedal for OVERALL VOLUME (I call that expression) and that can only be the FC7 (I chose YAMAHA because of quality) Google the ££
After a while playing I decided the other pedal was to be for REGISTRATION and that the FC4A was fine for that again Yamaha, again Google the ££

Having decided those would be my pedals and their 100% function you need to go into the menu and change the settings, that bit is easy, saving them so that they never change,, hmmm teachers out on that one,, some say it can be done,, some say not,, I'm still looking !
You asked what the difference was, look at it this way
The FC7 is a linier device its the same as a knob 0 -100%
The FC4 is a momentary switch, no contact / contact. (Ideal for single functions) (It is NOT an on/off switch)
Cheers Good Luck

Hello!

Interesting points indeed! So, basically you have a Yamaha FC-7 for expression and FC-4A for registrations. I am still not clear on what an actual “registration” is but am intensively reading the manuals so I’ll get to it. My guess it’s an “image” of all of keyboard’s settings that can be recalled instantly to accommodate a certain song. I think!

I see – so the expression pedal is like a “resistor” In that it can change a parameter gradually, from minimum to maximum, while the sustain pedal or a switch is simply a “button” that makes contact once you press it and loses contact once you release it. I am “as bright as the night” as they say but I think I’m getting the hang of it now! 😊

Cheers,
Antun

Offline Lije Baley

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2022, 06:57:33 PM »
If you want these settings saved for your pedals set them up that way in a registration. Then you hit that registration at start up and you have it. And if you ever decide to change one pedal to another setting, (and no matter what you think now, that will happen at some point)  just hit that registration to get back to your start up setting.
In fact you can include other preferred settings in your ‘start up’ registration - like for example fingering mode. Most of the experienced arranger players have a start up registration which sets the keyboard to their preferred set up.
Piano type sustain pedals are nice and heavy and don’t move around so they are good even to use for simple contact switch purposes. Like start/stop accompaniment for example.
BTW, you seldom would want to use an expression pedal to control the whole volume of the keyboard, because then you would be also changing volume of the accompaniment. Typically people would use expression on the lead voice rather than the whole keyboard volume. Total volume is not actually something you should need to alter very much when playing, so the volume knob on the keyboard is usually fine for that.
Another point is that the accompaniment chord can be set to hold until you change chords, so with experience you will have time to move your lh to change settings between chord changes. Those hands don’t need to be anchored to the keys.
Mike

Hi Mike and thanks for the contribution!

From your post I can tell you’re an experienced user!

OK, a sustain pedal, due to its construction is somewhat better than a simple switch because, like you said, it’s heavier and doesn’t move around. I’ll keep that in mind, thanks!

Also, I understand what you mean regarding the volume. Of course, there would be no point, at least for me, to control the volume of an entire mix (the style and the melody being played) with an expression pedal but rather just the melody being played, in-between the lyrics for example.

Also, dynamics and volume are a somewhat difficult thing to judge, especially if you’re in an unknown venue, though this is not something I intend to do anytime soon. However, I have often found that it’s a pretty good sign you’ve messed up the volume if you need to adjust it in-between the songs.

That’s some good advice, Mike! Thank you!

Cheers,
Antun

Offline Lije Baley

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2022, 07:00:57 PM »
If you want to play solo piano I would definitely recommend using a sustain pedal. A 'footswitch' will do the same job. You don't need anything expensive, I use a Stagg model which is just fine for me.

Hi Derek!

Sure, no need to go overspending on the sustain pedal. I can always buy a higher quality one if I get better (I hope I do!).

Cheers,
Antun

Offline Lije Baley

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2022, 07:06:34 PM »
You can specify which parts you want the volume pedal to control. Just tick the boxes in the set up of volume pedal to what you want.

Hi Eileen!

That was going to be my next question, thank you!! It makes sense for a keyboard of this type to allow for that.

It’s so fascinating an instrument like this can look so simple and yet be so complex at the same time. Yamaha looks “funky” to me but it utterly inspirational. Of course, I am looking at mine online – I haven’t unpacked it yet!

Cheers,
Antun

Offline mikf

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2022, 09:07:21 PM »
Derek - I understand about saving cost, and if you are happy, that’s fine. But realistically there is no comparison for piano playing between a Stagg type on /off foot switch and a real sustain pedal. These on/off pedals are designed for occasional switching by guitar players whereas a pianist will have is foot on the pedal almost all the time. The simulated piano pedals have built in springs and a lever action so you can ‘feel’  the pedal on your foot. I believe you have a DGX so you probably play piano a lot. If so, do yourself a favor and invest in a real sustain pedal, the difference is huge for piano playing.
Mike

Offline Lije Baley

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2022, 12:25:47 PM »
Derek - I understand about saving cost, and if you are happy, that’s fine. But realistically there is no comparison for piano playing between a Stagg type on /off foot switch and a real sustain pedal. These on/off pedals are designed for occasional switching by guitar players whereas a pianist will have is foot on the pedal almost all the time. The simulated piano pedals have built in springs and a lever action so you can ‘feel’  the pedal on your foot. I believe you have a DGX so you probably play piano a lot. If so, do yourself a favor and invest in a real sustain pedal, the difference is huge for piano playing.
Mike

Hi Mike!

Can you please recommend a good sustain pedal? What do you think about the FC-3A and FC-4A from Yamaha and which one would you choose for the PSR-SX900?

I am asking about these two because that's what I can buy here. I find it odd that the FC-3A costs the same as the FC-4A when it also allows for half-press so I would have expected the FC-3A to cost more than the FC-4A, unless it is lower in quality in some way

Cheers,
Antun

Divemaster

« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2022, 12:59:19 PM »
Quote.....The advice on the stand is much appreciated as well – I will look for a Tyros stand, even though I must tell you I live in Croatia and I don’t think many people could have afforded a Tyros. I will look all the same. If I may ask, why did you sell your Tyros and which version was it? I still have a Tyros 2 poster and ever since I got it, I’ve always wondered if I will ever own such a beautiful thing. It just struck me – while others had posters of supermodels and Lamborghinis, I had a poster of a Yamaha Tyros! Also, is the PSR-SX700 you own now an improvement on your Tyros? Sorry for the slight derail of the thread.

Hi again Antun

I had an original Tyros (Tyros 1) that served me well for many years. The Tyros keyboards are superb, and I enjoyed playing it and learning  from its many features.

But like every musical instrument, especially electrical ones, technology moves ever on, and the Tyros was getting older......2008....That's 14 years old now.....With age comes possible unreliability, component failure and even complete failure of the keyboard itself.

The SX range is superb. The technology is worlds apart and so much more advanced than the Tyros, but the greatest thing, as far as I am concerned is that it is a One Piece keyboard.  Much as I loved my Tyros, they are heavy keyboards, and also need separate speakers systems. The touch screen on the SX700/900 series is wonderful.

There is NO comparison between a new SX900 and an ageing Tyros. The technology is amazing, the sounds are amazing, and it is, without doubt, the best keyboard I have ever owned.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2022, 01:01:48 PM by Divemaster »

Offline mikf

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2022, 01:11:54 PM »
When I had an electric piano attached to my arranger I used the Yamaha, which is perfectly fine. Over here the 3A generally does cost more as you would expect. I think they are identical build quality. I am sure there are alternatives which are also fine, but I have never tried them and over here the Yamaha costs under $30, so not much to be saved looking for an alternative. Currently I don’t need one because the CVP has the pedals built in.
I agree with the point about the X stand not giving much knee room. It’s even more of an issue when you use pedals.
Mike
« Last Edit: April 28, 2022, 01:13:10 PM by mikf »

Offline Lije Baley

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2022, 01:42:46 PM »
Hi again Antun

I had an original Tyros (Tyros 1) that served me well for many years. The Tyros keyboards are superb, and I enjoyed playing it and learning  from its many features.

But like every musical instrument, especially electrical ones, technology moves ever on, and the Tyros was getting older......2008....That's 14 years old now.....With age comes possible unreliability, component failure and even complete failure of the keyboard itself.

The SX range is superb. The technology is worlds apart and so much more advanced than the Tyros, but the greatest thing, as far as I am concerned is that it is a One Piece keyboard.  Much as I loved my Tyros, they are heavy keyboards, and also need separate speakers systems. The touch screen on the SX700/900 series is wonderful.

There is NO comparison between a new SX900 and an ageing Tyros. The technology is amazing, the sounds are amazing, and it is, without doubt, the best keyboard I have ever owned.

Hello!

That's really interesting! I still have the original Tyros brochure and I remember seeing it for the first time. Man, that was one sexy-looking instrument! I just wish they paid more attention to the aesthetic design. Not that the SX900 isn't pretty but it doesn't have the "flare" of Tyros IMHO.

The Tyros was quite a departure from the PSR-9000 Pro in terms of design and looks much better to me.

Cheers,
Antun

Offline Lije Baley

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2022, 01:57:12 PM »
When I had an electric piano attached to my arranger I used the Yamaha, which is perfectly fine. Over here the 3A generally does cost more as you would expect. I think they are identical build quality. I am sure there are alternatives which are also fine, but I have never tried them and over here the Yamaha costs under $30, so not much to be saved looking for an alternative. Currently I don’t need one because the CVP has the pedals built in.
I agree with the point about the X stand not giving much knee room. It’s even more of an issue when you use pedals.
Mike

Hi Mike!

Sure, X-stands are very inconvenient.

Well, if the Yamaha pedal costs 30 dollars in your area, you're lucky! Over here it costs 80 Euros!

OK, so would you then say the FC-3A is a better choice than the FC-4A to use with the SX900?

Cheers,
Antun

Offline mikf

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2022, 02:15:42 PM »
Not for me because I have never used half pedaling. And probably neither will you or most other arranger players.
$80 for a simple pedal - that’s a bit crazy.
Mike

Offline Lije Baley

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2022, 03:27:32 PM »
Not for me because I have never used half pedaling. And probably neither will you or most other arranger players.
$80 for a simple pedal - that’s a bit crazy.
Mike

Hi Mike!

Sure, I agree, the prices are crazy. But because Euro is higher than a dollar, that actually amounts to 90 dollars! You have two choices - to buy it or not to buy it.

The half-pedalling feature though, if you se the pedal as a switch, you can control two parameters instead of one with a pedal like this, right? I noticed it has a TRS jack instead of a TS jack.

Cheers,
Antun

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2022, 06:59:20 PM »
There is little point getting an FC3; the PSRsx900 doesn't support half pedalling. (At least my PSRs970 didn't, so I assume the same applied to the sx900. I haven't actually tested it on the sx900, but even if it has it, how often do you use half damper?) However, you *could* use it to control pitch bend via a pedal, so you could keep both your hands on the keys (as seen in my Bohemian Rhapsody video during the guitar solo). It is incredibly inconvenient to use an FC3 as a volume pedal, so I don't recommend it for that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlS6Hbs6aKA

Having only 2 pedal ports (unlike the Tyros/Genos with 3) requires you to know beforehand what the focus is. I would only purchase an FC7 volume pedal *if* I were using it for organ volume control (although it would also be convenient for string swells, too). At home I use and FC4 and an FC5; the FC5 is used to trigger either registration program changes (as seen in all my youtube videos) or, when I'm playing the guitar, the FC4 is sustain and the FC5 is body tap.

Mark

Offline mikf

« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2022, 10:47:08 PM »
I don’t believe you can control more one function with the FC3 and as the other poster says, SX900 doesn’t support half pedaling anyway. No big loss.
Mike

Offline Toril S

« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2022, 11:01:35 PM »
I use x stands for all my keyboards, good quality ones. They take little space, and are easy to use on gigs. The downside is that there is not so much room underneath. If you want to play piano you will need a sustain pedal. I have a volume pedal too, but must admit I have not used it much. Another thing, I have always wondered why musicians usually use stools/benches without a back rest! I think it is essential to be able to rest your back against a good back rest, but that is me.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

The following users thanked this post: YammyFan, Lije Baley

Offline YammyFan

« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2022, 06:58:02 AM »
Another thing, I have always wondered why musicians usually use stools/benches without a back rest! I think it is essential to be able to rest your back against a good back rest, but that is me.

I agree totally Toril    I tried a stool  30+ years ago and hated it. I would NEVER play without a back rest. Thanks for raising this issue. I'm glad I'm not alone. Yammyfan.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2022, 06:59:13 AM by YammyFan »

Offline Lije Baley

« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2022, 08:47:39 AM »
There is little point getting an FC3; the PSRsx900 doesn't support half pedalling. (At least my PSRs970 didn't, so I assume the same applied to the sx900. I haven't actually tested it on the sx900, but even if it has it, how often do you use half damper?) However, you *could* use it to control pitch bend via a pedal, so you could keep both your hands on the keys (as seen in my Bohemian Rhapsody video during the guitar solo). It is incredibly inconvenient to use an FC3 as a volume pedal, so I don't recommend it for that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlS6Hbs6aKA

Having only 2 pedal ports (unlike the Tyros/Genos with 3) requires you to know beforehand what the focus is. I would only purchase an FC7 volume pedal *if* I were using it for organ volume control (although it would also be convenient for string swells, too). At home I use and FC4 and an FC5; the FC5 is used to trigger either registration program changes (as seen in all my youtube videos) or, when I'm playing the guitar, the FC4 is sustain and the FC5 is body tap.

Mark

This is valuable advice Mark, thank you!

You are right, I "should" know what I'd be using it for beforehand and that's what makes it so difficult. For a beginner, it's not easy.

I will check out your videos, thanks for the link!

Cheers,
Antun

Offline Lije Baley

« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2022, 09:02:10 AM »
I use x stands for all my keyboards, good quality ones. They take little space, and are easy to use on gigs. The downside is that there is not so much room underneath. If you want to play piano you will need a sustain pedal. I have a volume pedal too, but must admit I have not used it much. Another thing, I have always wondered why musicians usually use stools/benches without a back rest! I think it is essential to be able to rest your back against a good back rest, but that is me.

Hi Toril!

Yes, I agree that I will probably want a proper sustain pedal because learning to play a piano is something I really want to do.

I suppose one of the reasons they piano benches don't have back rests is because piano players like to "move along with the music". But it's strange there are NO piano benches with a back rest, at least not that I have seen. I definitely agree that for someone who sits in front of an instrument for hours on end, whether practicing or trying to compose something, a back rest could be useful. Definitely!

I think I should probably buy a sustain pedal, for now. Then, as I (hopefully) progress, I will likely be more able to make a decision whether I need something else.

Cheers,
Antun

Offline Lije Baley

« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2022, 08:16:29 AM »
I agree totally Toril    I tried a stool  30+ years ago and hated it. I would NEVER play without a back rest. Thanks for raising this issue. I'm glad I'm not alone. Yammyfan.

Hello!

So, you too would recommed a back rest? Is there a particular bench you would recommend today?

Cheers,
Antun

Offline Bernie9

« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2022, 09:28:33 AM »
For what it's worth, I just bought a Soroco sustain pedal from Amazon and it made a world of difference on my SX900 piano sounds. I am not a piano player per se, but used an old square box to get sustain.  I agree that a proper pedal is definitely needed.

Offline Lije Baley

« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2022, 04:58:41 PM »
For what it's worth, I just bought a Soroco sustain pedal from Amazon and it made a world of difference on my SX900 piano sounds. I am not a piano player per se, but used an old square box to get sustain.  I agree that a proper pedal is definitely needed.

Hi Bernie!

Thank you for your comment! I look at it this way - a real piano has a sustain pedal so if my goal is to actually learn how to play a piano, then I should probably buy a sustain pedal.

There is no Amazon in Croatia so I am somewhat limited to the very few music stores left or online stores within EU because of high taxes and shipping expenses. Lucjily, Thomann has a vast selection of products even though it isn't the cheapest.

For now, my top contender for a sustain pedal is the Yamaha FC-4A because of good reviews and "guaranteed" compatibility with the SX900. It's 80 € though so again, not cheap but I hope it's also high quality and lasts a long time. But I will certainly look at others as well and read more reviews (I usually read reviews with the least  number of stars i.e. negative reviews).

Cheers,
Antun

Offline Toril S

« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2022, 08:02:22 PM »
I would go for a good quality sustain pedal, that is heavy, so it doesn't slide around all the time. Stay away from the flimsy ones. A sustain pedal is a must have, the other pedals you can wait and see if you need them. But keep in mind that, if you use registrations, you can set up a pedal to move forward in the registration sequence so you don't have to take your hands of the keyboard. Many fun things to do with pedals, but take it step by step.
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2022, 01:02:14 AM »
sorry, didn't reply sooner: yes, just start with a sustain pedal. I said FC4, but the current version is FC4a; they should still know what you mean (that's a nice heavy on/off sustain without half pedaling).

Offline Lije Baley

« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2022, 06:10:51 PM »
I would go for a good quality sustain pedal, that is heavy, so it doesn't slide around all the time. Stay away from the flimsy ones. A sustain pedal is a must have, the other pedals you can wait and see if you need them. But keep in mind that, if you use registrations, you can set up a pedal to move forward in the registration sequence so you don't have to take your hands of the keyboard. Many fun things to do with pedals, but take it step by step.

Hi Toril!

Yes, it seems to me that a good quality sustain pedal is something that should be on my shopping list and right quick. But the high fever is still lurking like a shadow so for the moment, my poor SX900 is still in its box, waiting to be unpacked for the first time.

I am slowly but surely familiarising myself with the layout of the controls and their meaning by reading through the manials. I must say, I had no idea it had so many features. It's overwhelming! I started laughing when I read about the "Virtual Circuit Modelling" effects engine and how it can be used in conjunction with the guitar input on the back of the instrument. I mean, how could I have been so stupid not to know it's only logical it has that capability when 1) it has an instrument input and 2) it probably has some higly-spec'ed out CPU somewhere in there! I laughed because I thought "Oh, it has that too? Why not? It seems to have every other feature under the Sun anyway!" This is one crazy instrument, I'm not sure I deserve it.

Cheers,
Antun

Offline Lije Baley

« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2022, 06:17:37 PM »
sorry, didn't reply sooner: yes, just start with a sustain pedal. I said FC4, but the current version is FC4a; they should still know what you mean (that's a nice heavy on/off sustain without half pedaling).

Hello! Please don’t apologise for delays, I’m like the “British railways” myself! Thank you for the advice, the Yamaha FC-4A is the pedal I will be looking at first since it comes recommended from you guys at PSR Tutorial Forum 😊

Cheerio!
Antun

Offline Enildo

« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2022, 12:36:11 AM »
I prefer p FC5. It's more compact, lighter, better to carry, cheaper and solves the problem.
I use two FC5, one for sustain and one for general functions, mainly to turn vocal harmony on and off.

Hug,
Enildo
When word fail, Music speaks!

Offline lmederos

« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2022, 08:15:51 PM »
I also have a very nice custom sized dust cover for my SX900.
https://dustcoversforyou.store/product/yamaha-psr-sx900-music-keyboard-dust-cover-by-dcfy/
-- Luis

PSR-SX900

Offline Toril S

« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2022, 10:08:38 PM »
A dust cover is a good investment!! Last year my S975 started to sound funny on one note, and I had to contact a service center. The man sent me a message. "your keyboard is ready to go, how many dogs do you have?" It turned out that dog hair had gotten into the keyboard and caused the problem. I had a dust cover for it, but didn't use it all the time. Now I do :)
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline Lije Baley

« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2022, 05:15:21 PM »
I prefer p FC5. It's more compact, lighter, better to carry, cheaper and solves the problem.
I use two FC5, one for sustain and one for general functions, mainly to turn vocal harmony on and off.

Hug,
Enildo

Hi Enildo!

The FC-5 does look nice and compact! It's also a lot cheaper than the FC-4A (35€ vs 80€). I assume you're using the vocal harmony a lot. That's why you have one pedal assigned to it, right?

That's the thing that fascinates me so much about this instrument - everything is "adjustable"!

Cheers,
Antun

Offline Lije Baley

« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2022, 05:17:08 PM »
I also have a very nice custom sized dust cover for my SX900.
https://dustcoversforyou.store/product/yamaha-psr-sx900-music-keyboard-dust-cover-by-dcfy/

Hi Luis!

I sent you a PM a few days ago. Have you received it?

Cheers,
Antun

Offline pedro_pedroc

« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2022, 05:20:09 PM »
Well,

I can't see me playing without a sustain pedal. For me, it's absolutly necessary - the sustain button helps, but it's not the same as using the pedal, when you choose the right time to activate the sustain.

I also have an express pedal, but I only use when playing with a band. Playing solo, I don't use it at all.

Take care,
Pedro

Offline Lije Baley

« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2022, 05:24:02 PM »
A dust cover is a good investment!! Last year my S975 started to sound funny on one note, and I had to contact a service center. The man sent me a message. "your keyboard is ready to go, how many dogs do you have?" It turned out that dog hair had gotten into the keyboard and caused the problem. I had a dust cover for it, but didn't use it all the time. Now I do :)

Hi Toril!

I actually bought a dust cover alongside the keyboard. It's a Gator GKC-1540, meant to be used with 61-note keyboards, so hopefully it will fit fine.

But hey, it's not the dog's fault! After all, dogs are just as musical as we are and in most cases, a lot more!!

Cheers,
Antun

Offline Lije Baley

« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2022, 05:31:28 PM »
Well,

I can't see me playing without a sustain pedal. For me, it's absolutly necessary - the sustain button helps, but it's not the same as using the pedal, when you choose the right time to activate the sustain.

I also have an express pedal, but I only use when playing with a band. Playing solo, I don't use it at all.

Take care,
Pedro

Hi Pedro and thanks for commenting!

Which sustain pedal are you using?

Given the fact you're using a sustain pedal a lot, I assume piano voices are on your daily repertoire. Are you playing a PSR-SX900 as well and are you using the factory piano voices or custom ones?

Cheers,
Antun

Offline mikf

« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2022, 06:38:28 PM »
Antun
If you are genuinely interested in piano voices, read through and listed to this thread from a while ago.
Bottom line conclusion was piano voices don’t vary all that much between models, and key feel and how well it is played are much, much more important.
BTW, the piece used for the comparison was played using a proper sustain pedal. I had one of those FC5 type pedals on my original  arranger about 20 years ago. It lasted about 5 minutes as a sustain pedal before I changed it, that’s how good it was!
Mike
https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,57649.msg447907.html#msg447907

Offline Lije Baley

« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2022, 07:12:54 PM »
Antun
If you are genuinely interested in piano voices, read through and listed to this thread from a while ago.
Bottom line conclusion was piano voices don’t vary all that much between models, and key feel and how well it is played are much, much more important.
BTW, the piece used for the comparison was played using a proper sustain pedal. I had one of those FC5 type pedals on my original  arranger about 20 years ago. It lasted about 5 minutes as a sustain pedal before I changed it, that’s how good it was!
Mike
https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,57649.msg447907.html#msg447907

Hi Mike!

Yes, I am genuinely interested in learning to play a piano. So much so that I would like to buy a digital piano with hammer graded action at some point

Thank you very much for the link, I will certainly read the topic.

Cheerio!
Antun

Offline pedro_pedroc

« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2022, 12:23:18 PM »
Hi, Lije.

I use the (basic/default) Yamaha FC5 sustain Pedal.
I use piano voices, but the sustain pedal help me with every single voice I use - with guitars / sax / string - It's also important to sustain a note to release your right  hand to press keyboard buttons (to control style, actvate multipads, regsitrations, and so on). I use the sustain pedal with all right voices everytime.

I play with a Genos and I use only buint-in voices. No custom voices needeed. In fact, if you know the Genos features, you can adjust any voice to become any sound you want. Never needed a single custom voice. I'm almost sure you'll not need any custom voices too in the SX900.

However, I create a lot of custom styles - this ones are needed to play certain songs - I sell them at www.styles4k.com. I also have tutorials about how to create styles, and I have my YouTube channel with the tutorials and my live performances. Please, take a look at: https://www.youtube.com/user/pedromseleuterio

Regards from Brazil,
Pedro

Hi Pedro and thanks for commenting!

Which sustain pedal are you using?

Given the fact you're using a sustain pedal a lot, I assume piano voices are on your daily repertoire. Are you playing a PSR-SX900 as well and are you using the factory piano voices or custom ones?

Cheers,
Antun

Offline Lije Baley

« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2022, 04:37:59 PM »
Hi, Lije.

I use the (basic/default) Yamaha FC5 sustain Pedal.
I use piano voices, but the sustain pedal help me with every single voice I use - with guitars / sax / string - It's also important to sustain a note to release your right  hand to press keyboard buttons (to control style, actvate multipads, regsitrations, and so on). I use the sustain pedal with all right voices everytime.

I play with a Genos and I use only buint-in voices. No custom voices needeed. In fact, if you know the Genos features, you can adjust any voice to become any sound you want. Never needed a single custom voice. I'm almost sure you'll not need any custom voices too in the SX900.

However, I create a lot of custom styles - this ones are needed to play certain songs - I sell them at www.styles4k.com. I also have tutorials about how to create styles, and I have my YouTube channel with the tutorials and my live performances. Please, take a look at: https://www.youtube.com/user/pedromseleuterio

Regards from Brazil,
Pedro

Hi Pedro!

I listened to your performance of “Time after time” which is my personal favourite song by Cyndi Lauper. Man, I have to tell you, it’s really amazing. I never knew you could create such sound just with a keyboard, albeit a top-end one. Great playing, of course, but also, the audio quality is exceptional – crystal clear and with plenty of depth, if that makes sense. Well done! Had no choice but to subscribe to your channel.

I realise it’s mostly down to the playing and “tuning” of the voices but if my SX900 sounds as half as good as your Genos, I will be over the Moon!

The thing is, “Time after time” is a simple tune but to me, the complexity is in its subtlety and atmosphere. Playing the right notes is one thing but capturing the spirit is another and you did it so well.

So, the Yamaha FC-5 pedal fulfils all your needs?

Best wishes from Croatia!
Antun

Offline pedro_pedroc

« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2022, 08:27:31 PM »
Antun,

Thank you so much for your kind words. Please, take a look at my other videos - I'm sure you'll like them!!

For sustain pedal, FC-5 works very good for me!! And it is reliable, I have it for more than 10 years now... And still working great!

Pedro

Online Jeff_M

« Reply #47 on: May 11, 2022, 01:16:47 PM »
Antun,

I've been using keyboards for 13 years.  I formerly played organ (with pedals) where use of the expression pedal is an essential part of the instrument.  I also played piano where the sustain pedal is essential.  I have an FC4 sustain pedal for my SX900 which I use all the time.  Only downside from using a button is that it occasionally squeaks so I hit it with electronics cleaner periodically.  I don't miss having an expression pedal even though I use organ registrations extensively.  My X stand (On Stage brand if memory serves me) has worked fine for two different keyboards for 13 years; I tightened up the bolts once.  It has ribbed hard plastic covers on the upper ends which hold the instrument in place and do not scratch it.  I've used two different stools, or seats I guess, and haven't been crazy about either one.  I've had three different Yamaha keyboards and the SX900 is the best so far, as well as it should be.  Best of luck!  ....Jeff

Offline Lije Baley

« Reply #48 on: May 11, 2022, 05:41:17 PM »
Antun,

Thank you so much for your kind words. Please, take a look at my other videos - I'm sure you'll like them!!

For sustain pedal, FC-5 works very good for me!! And it is reliable, I have it for more than 10 years now... And still working great!

Pedro

Hi Pedro!

My pleasure, Sir! Have no fear, I will watch all of your videos! I kind of have to now!

I am really taken aback by the reception here – you guys are like a welcoming committee!

From what I’ve gathered so far, it seems that “any” pedal will do, as long as it’s high quality and serves my needs. I will investigate what options are available to mde and then report back, with the prices.

Cheerio!
Antun

The following users thanked this post: TheBitfiddler

Offline Lije Baley

« Reply #49 on: May 11, 2022, 06:25:08 PM »
Antun,

I've been using keyboards for 13 years.  I formerly played organ (with pedals) where use of the expression pedal is an essential part of the instrument.  I also played piano where the sustain pedal is essential.  I have an FC4 sustain pedal for my SX900 which I use all the time.  Only downside from using a button is that it occasionally squeaks so I hit it with electronics cleaner periodically.  I don't miss having an expression pedal even though I use organ registrations extensively.  My X stand (On Stage brand if memory serves me) has worked fine for two different keyboards for 13 years; I tightened up the bolts once.  It has ribbed hard plastic covers on the upper ends which hold the instrument in place and do not scratch it.  I've used two different stools, or seats I guess, and haven't been crazy about either one.  I've had three different Yamaha keyboards and the SX900 is the best so far, as well as it should be.  Best of luck!  ....Jeff

Hi Jeff!

Thanks very much for the feedback!

Yes, I have actually read that Yamaha FC-4A (and FC-3A) sometimes squeaks! I assume it’s the spring inside the mechanism. Actually, now that you’ve mentioned it, I had a Roland sustain pedal with the GW-8 and it too would sometimes squeak. It can’t say it bothered me though.

I will likely buy a sustain pedal and wait with the expression pedal. The thing is, I am so far behind in all of this that I get easily overwhelmed. By reading through both the owner’s and reference manual, I realised that some of these functions were available on the Roland GW-8 that I used to have. I was probably undeserving of such an instrument and didn’t know how to appreciate it. I hope to do much better with the SX900. Unless I stumble across a heavily discounted and nice expression pedal, which isn’t likely to happen in Croatia where discount = blasphemy, I will first make sure I actually need one, once I am more familiar and I guess, comfortable, with the instrument.

The thing is, there’s very little over here that I can try before I buy. The stool for example – how does one even go about choosing the “right” one? I mean, like others have pointed out, the stool is quite an essential part of the “setup”! You had two and weren’t happy with them and you’ve been playing keyboards for more than a decade. What chance do I have of buying something good? Perhaps I could have one custom-made as there are lots of woodwork shops around here (the comforting part is that they’re all owned by relatively young people so the craft has a future). What do you think?

Cheers,
Antun