Author Topic: Greetings from Croatia!  (Read 6606 times)

Offline Lije Baley

Greetings from Croatia!
« on: April 23, 2022, 03:27:55 PM »
Hello everybody!!

I am very pleased and excited for having found a place with so many knowledgeable people who make up for an entire world of knowledge!

I hope that, as I learn, I will be able to contribute something to this amazing community.

To say a little about me... I'm a structural engineer by trade but one of my passions is music and things surrounding it. It has always been of interest to me how different instruments can produce the same tone and yet sound completely different at the same time. I have had formal musical education and even played in an orchestra. I was quite serious about it and during the 1997-2000 period, our orchestra won every major contest, both domestic and international music festivals here in Europe. We also managed to record three compact discs, all recorded, mixed and mastered in professional studios and to a very high standard. It is these recordings that I sometimes relate to as “my reference recordings”.

Then I went to college and just like that, I no longer had the time for the music as college classes took precedence. It wasn't until I finished college that my poor old dad bought me an acoustic guitar. I've been playing it for years but was never really able to master it properly. Playing for friends at dinners and parties - sure! But anything else is way too much for me. At around 2009 I bought my first synthesizer, a Roland GW-8. I never received formal education for piano, you see, but my music professors told me my hearing was “pitch-perfect” and that I should apply for music academy but even though I didn’t go that route, I guess it made it somewhat easier for me to play the right keys on first attempt. Despite that, too much work prevented me from ever really learning to play the Roland, even though I have been so looking forward to owning such an amazing instrument. I regret selling it even today although at the time, it seemed like the thing to do, to financially help my parents.

Since then, I've been working most of the time. Realising that work isn’t – shouldn’t be everything in life, I started thinking about music again. I own a nice HIFI system and often buy CDs, but there is a big difference between “consuming” music and actually making music. So, I've been intensely reading and trying to decide which instrument would bring me the most satisfaction and would also serve as a “vehicle” to drive me to places I have not yet been to – if that makes sense. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I feel inspired to do some composing like I used to twenty years ago. Obviously, I have no intention of winning any awards and I'll leave that to the people with talent. But perhaps I could compose a theme for an independent movie or arrange a section for strings in a pop/rock song. I have some friends who are professional musicians (one of whom is a really terrific singer-songwriter) and it would be interesting to see if I can create something they’d like.

This introduction is turning into an essay – I get carried away!!

In any case, through my reading and investigation, I concluded that the best instrument for me is the Yamaha PSR-SX900. After careful consideration of its facilities and how to actually afford it as it hardly affordable in this day and age, I bought it last weekend. As luck would have it, or the lack thereof, I've fallen ill and have not yet been able to unpack it. I am really looking forward to doing so the following week.

In the end, I'd like to say that I listen to and enjoy all kinds of music, from Classical to metal, including jazz. Once I took a nephew to a concert – some Iron Maiden tribute band. My nephew was really into this sort of a thing at the time and while I wasn't, I ended up enjoying the concert more than he did.

I apologise for all the typos (English is not my mother tongue, not even close) but I hope that despite my lack of knowledge and apparent illiteracy, I can make some friends here and contribute to this forum which isn’t likely to be soon because, well, I don’t actually know anything!! ;)

Cheers everyone!
Antun

The following users thanked this post: tyrosrick

Offline lmederos

Re: Greetings from Croatia!
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2022, 07:44:06 PM »
Antun

Dobro Došli !!

We've visited beautiful Croatia and BiH many times as we have many friends there.

I think you will like and learn a lot from this forum.

Regards,

-- Luis

PSR-SX900

The following users thanked this post: Kobus, Lije Baley

Offline Roger Brenizer

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2022, 08:38:15 PM »
Hi Antun,

Welcome to the forum and thank you for becoming a member.  I’m sure you'll learn a lot about your new PSR-SX900 keyboard here on our forum and will experience many pleasurable hours playing it.

You’ll want to be sure to visit the Home page and check out some of the tutorials you will find links to there.  The following link will take you to the Home page of the website:

https://psrtutorial.com/

Should you later decide to become a supporting member, which will include lifetime membership, other forum boards will become available to you, as well as a wealth of additional musical knowledge; however, there is absolutely no obligation to do so.  You may also use the following link to discover the full benefit of becoming a Supporting Member of the PSR Tutorial.

https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,15536.0.html

You’ll also gain access to an Excel Song Index database, made available to supporting members by our good friend, Peter (XeeniX) and maintained by another good friend, Runner4Fun, which presently contains 104,272 song titles in 2,720 indexed books.  This index is updated often.

In lieu of making a donation only, you may also order any of the websites resources, which can be found at the following link:

https://psrtutorial.com/cdrom/productsum.html

Joe Waters updated “Supporting the PSR Tutorial”, on August 27, 2017, which can be found here:

https://psrtutorial.com/cdrom/index.html

We’re so glad you've decided to become a member and very happy you've decided to become a part of this great forum family.  If you have any questions, then please just ask.  Many of our members are always very willing to help you.
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

(The older I get...the better I used to be...LOL!!!)
Roger’s PSR Performer Page

The following users thanked this post: Lije Baley

Offline Lije Baley

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2022, 11:09:14 PM »
Antun

Dobro Došli !!

We've visited beautiful Croatia and BiH many times as we have many friends there.

I think you will like and learn a lot from this forum.

Regards,

Hi Imederos and thank you for the warm welcome!

I am very impressed to see that someone here speaks some Croatian and has visited our little country! Out of interest, which parts of Croatia have you visited?

You are right, I am liking the forum already! :)

Živjeli! (Cheers!)
Antun

Offline Lije Baley

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2022, 11:21:01 PM »
Hi Antun,

Welcome to the forum and thank you for becoming a member.  I’m sure you'll learn a lot about your new PSR-SX900 keyboard here on our forum and will experience many pleasurable hours playing it.

You’ll want to be sure to visit the Home page and check out some of the tutorials you will find links to there.  The following link will take you to the Home page of the website:

https://psrtutorial.com/

Should you later decide to become a supporting member, which will include lifetime membership, other forum boards will become available to you, as well as a wealth of additional musical knowledge; however, there is absolutely no obligation to do so.  You may also use the following link to discover the full benefit of becoming a Supporting Member of the PSR Tutorial.

https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,15536.0.html

You’ll also gain access to an Excel Song Index database, made available to supporting members by our good friend, Peter (XeeniX) and maintained by another good friend, Runner4Fun, which presently contains 104,272 song titles in 2,720 indexed books.  This index is updated often.

In lieu of making a donation only, you may also order any of the websites resources, which can be found at the following link:

https://psrtutorial.com/cdrom/productsum.html

Joe Waters updated “Supporting the PSR Tutorial”, on August 27, 2017, which can be found here:

https://psrtutorial.com/cdrom/index.html

We’re so glad you've decided to become a member and very happy you've decided to become a part of this great forum family.  If you have any questions, then please just ask.  Many of our members are always very willing to help you.

Hi Roger and thank you for welcoming me to this wonderful place!

I am very pleased with how well everything is organised . It's a textbook example of organization and efficiency and I have no doubt I will learn a great deal. My hope is that I will, after a while, be able to give something in return.

I will, of course, check out the links you so kindly provided. I think it is very important that I do.

Thank you again and best of wishes,
Antun

Offline ckobu

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2022, 11:42:23 PM »
Hallo Antun,
welcome to the forum. Here you will find a lot of useful information and you will get answers to questions that interest you.
I am also from Croatia, I hope that my videos will be useful to you.
(I ja sam iz Hrvatske pa se nadam se da ćete u mojim videima naći korisne informacije.)

regards, ckobu
Watch my video channel

Offline Toril S

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2022, 11:59:33 PM »
Hello Antun and a big welcome from Norway😀 You made a wise choice of keyboard. Hope you get well soon so you can enjoy it! Have fun😀
« Last Edit: April 24, 2022, 12:03:44 AM by Toril S »
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline Michael Trigoboff

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2022, 02:06:43 AM »
Quote from:  Roger Brenizer

Can you tell me where to find this Excel file?
retired software developer and Computer Science instructor
Grateful Deadhead emeritus

"He had decided to live forever or die in the attempt."
-- Joseph Heller, Catch-22

Offline Roger Brenizer

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2022, 02:37:50 AM »
Can you tell me where to find this Excel file?

Yes, Michael, but I'll send you a link via email.  If I were to post a link here, all members, with the exception of Supporters and Senior members, would receive an invalid link notification, because they don't have access to the Charter Member's boards, which only causes confusion.
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

(The older I get...the better I used to be...LOL!!!)
Roger’s PSR Performer Page

Offline Lije Baley

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2022, 11:22:29 AM »
Hallo Antun,
welcome to the forum. Here you will find a lot of useful information and you will get answers to questions that interest you.
I am also from Croatia, I hope that my videos will be useful to you.
(I ja sam iz Hrvatske pa se nadam se da ćete u mojim videima naći korisne informacije.)

regards, ckobu

Hi ckobu and thanks for welcoming me to the forum!

It’s so nice to meet someone from Croatia! Let me tell you, when I spoke to some people about which arranger/synth manufacturer I should look at, their immediate response was “Korg”! They said I should forget Yamaha and that I would never find a resource because everyone in these spaces uses only Korg and everything else is a waste of time. I see now that I have been talking to the wrong crowd! 😉

I will certainly check out your videos, thank you!

Puno pozdrava! 😊
Antun

Offline Lije Baley

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2022, 11:28:16 AM »
Hello Antun and a big welcome from Norway😀 You made a wise choice of keyboard. Hope you get well soon so you can enjoy it! Have fun😀

Hi Toril and thank you for the warm welcome!

Thank you for the kind wishes and may I also say that Norway is a beautiful country I have had a pleasure of visiting in 2000 (the European youth music festival in Trondheim).

Best wishes, kind Sir!
Antun

Offline Toril S

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2022, 01:48:29 PM »
I live in Trondheim!😀 You are welcome back😀
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline Lije Baley

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2022, 02:09:59 PM »
I live in Trondheim!😀 You are welcome back😀

Wow, that is really cool! I've never seen such scenery before - wild and beautiful. The hosts were very hospitable and friendly. It was interesting because it is said that Norwegians are somewhat shy but my experience was that they treated us as the main attraction. All the girls wanted to hug and kiss!! I must say, you are a very nice bunch of people! :)

Offline Toril S

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2022, 03:31:24 PM »
Thanks😀
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline Lije Baley

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2022, 03:34:06 PM »
Thanks😀

Oh, the girls were pretty so - Thank You Norway! :)

Offline overover

« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2022, 04:59:34 PM »
Welcome to the PSR Tutorial Forum, Antun!

All the best from Germany,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline Lije Baley

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2022, 06:13:16 PM »
Welcome to the PSR Tutorial Forum, Antun!

All the best from Germany,
Chris

Hi Chris and thank you for the warm welcome!

All the best to you as well!
Cheers!
Antun

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2022, 09:53:56 PM »
Zdravo, Kako si!

I have no idea if that's spelled correctly, I'm going phonetically. But greetings from Canada, Hrvatski,

Mark
« Last Edit: April 25, 2022, 06:27:49 PM by Amwilburn »

Offline Lije Baley

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2022, 04:39:56 PM »
Zdravo, Kako si!

I have no idea if that's spelled correctly, I'm going poenetically. But greetings from Canada, Hrvatski,

Mark

Pozdrav Mark!

Dobro sam, hvala na pitanju! Kako si ti? :)

Your Croatian is excellent, Mark! It isn't the easiest of languages (seven scales) so well done!

Really, folks, I am overwhelmed! Thank you SO MUCH!!

Best wishes,
Antun

Offline Kobus

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2022, 01:12:15 AM »
 Thank you, what a heart warming letter our hearts go out to you and your people. It shows you music does not have boundaries.
Regards
Kobus
« Last Edit: May 05, 2022, 07:44:15 AM by Kobus »
Kest, my acronym

Offline Lije Baley

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2022, 05:56:07 PM »
Thank you, what a heart warming letter our hearts go out to you and your people. It shows you music does not have boundaries.
Regards
Kobus

Hi Kobus!

I don't know if your comment is meant for me or not but I thank you for welcoming me!

Cheers,
Antun

Lofty(dave)

« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2022, 09:32:07 AM »

Hi Antun hope you get well soon . i to have the sx900 its a lovely keyboard and hope you can get your hands on it and make beautifull music soon take care lofty from mid wales

Offline Lije Baley

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2022, 04:05:01 PM »
Hi Antun hope you get well soon . i to have the sx900 its a lovely keyboard and hope you can get your hands on it and make beautifull music soon take care lofty from mid wales

Hi Lofty!

Thank you so much for the kind wishes! Given everything I’ve read about the SX900 and of course, your comment, I’ve no reason to doubt it is a very fine instrument!

We’re sending greetings up north to mid Wales! 😊

Cheerio!
Antun

Offline Richard Kent

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2022, 11:45:53 PM »
Welcome to the fabulous Forum, Antun.

Richard Kent

Offline Lije Baley

« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2022, 06:21:20 PM »
Welcome to the fabulous Forum, Antun.

Richard Kent

Hi Richard!

Thanks for the warm welcome, Sir! Much appreciated!

I haven't been around much but it isn't by choice. I hope to be back soon!

Thanks again and best wishes,
Antun

Offline Lije Baley

« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2023, 02:49:04 PM »
Hello everyone!

It is not my intention to revive an old thread but rather to say it’s been a difficult year and that’s the reason I couldn’t visit the forum as much as I wanted. I bought a PSR-SX900 exactly one year ago and I was able to unbox it only several days ago, on Easter Monday morning to be exact. I guess that now officially means “I am back” and I must say, I am very happy for it!

It may be a cliché but no matter how many times we make fun of old sayings, to be able to say “you still have your health” is a luxury and a blessing. So, in the spirit of that, I hope you folks are doing well! All the best and I’ll see you in the forums!

Cheers!
Antun

Offline overover

« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2023, 03:20:10 PM »
Welcome back, Antun!

I wish you lots of fun and joy with your SX900!

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline Lije Baley

« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2023, 04:59:35 PM »
Welcome back, Antun!

I wish you lots of fun and joy with your SX900!

Best regards,
Chris

Thank you very much, Chris! It is good to be back!

Cheers,
Antun