Author Topic: Controlling Pitch Blend With a Pedal on a Genos  (Read 3193 times)

Offline jdup

Controlling Pitch Blend With a Pedal on a Genos
« on: January 12, 2024, 01:30:42 PM »
What is the best pedal to control Pitch Blend on a Genos, if I do NOT have an FCB1010 or an MFC10? I would be grateful for any suggestions or recommendations.

Thanks.

Jim Duprey
Jim Duprey
Genos, Bose S1 Pro (2)
Former Keyboard: PSR-S770

Offline Rick D.

Re: Controlling Pitch Blend With a Pedal on a Genos
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2024, 09:01:59 PM »
Hi Jim,

I use an Yamaha FC7 Volume Pedal, and it works great!

Rick D.

Offline mikf

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2024, 10:05:33 PM »
Yes the FC7 or almost any compatible expression pedal will work. But it’s important to set it up properly for easy control. You normally want to set it so pedal full up is full pitch, and depressing it drops the pitch which is opposite to normal setting for volume control. And I like the span to be about 2- 3 semi tones but you need to find what suits you best.
I depress the pedal a bit just a little a millisecond before hitting the note I want to bend, then back the pedal up to full. Takes practice to get feel for foot movement speed and amount that works for different instruments and effects. But most people trained on piano and used to using a sustain pedal or experienced organ players used to expression pedals will have the required coordination quite easily. Others may need more practice.
You can also get a nice vibrato effect by moving the peas more quickly up and down.
Mike

Offline jdup

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2024, 10:10:28 PM »
Thanks, Rick.

Any tips on how best to use it? Does it just move up and down, or can you depress it on the side, for a wah-wah sound?

One other question..........do you mainly use it for guitars?

Thanks.

Jim
Jim Duprey
Genos, Bose S1 Pro (2)

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2024, 11:53:27 PM »
Jim,

You can set what the pedal will do by hitting the Direct Access button and stepping on the pedal. From there you can choose whether to bend down or up and how many octaves either way, and also what parts you want to bend. You can set this pedal to do many things, not just volume and pitch bend. There is no side pedal with this one. I had some years ago that had buttons on the sides that did different things but I think they were on Lowrey organs.

I think the FC7 will do what you want and it won't break the bank.

Rick D.

Offline jdup

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2024, 03:38:38 AM »
Thanks, Rick and thanks, Mike.

I am grateful.

Jim
Jim Duprey
Genos, Bose S1 Pro (2)

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2024, 08:31:45 AM »
I have FC7 expression pedal and here's my opinion (side note: I'm not experienced expression pedal user).

As already mentioned, it can be used for variety of effects, but because the idea comes from organ, it is mainly used as volume pedal. I need to point out, that although it seems to be simple to use it, it's not: it requires a lot of practice. Keep in mind, that it's controlled by movement of ankle, which is not that quick & precise as fingers are. That is, you can do guitar pitch bend, but that will only be for relative slow bending (i.e. slow country or hawaii guitar), but I can't imagine it can be done seccussfully for typical electric guitar (quick short bends) -I think joystick is much better suited for that.

I'm telling that just so you won't be disappointed.

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

Offline ton37

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2024, 09:03:34 AM »
In addition: there is also a fc5(a). Also works with slide effect (easier to 'handle' than the FC7 with slide effect) The 'ideal' combi is tmho.: 1x volume/expression pedal , 1 sustain and 1 for 'other' effect (whatever brand). Fc7, fc5(a) of Yamaha are just fine. ;)
My best regards,
Ton

Offline mikf

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2024, 11:27:25 AM »
When set to control pitch bend I use it mainly on guitar, sax, steel guitar. Most commonly you slide up to the full pitch from a slightly depressed pitch. How much depends on you but slide up about a semi tone. That’s why I set span to a couple of semi tones so the ankle movement is enough to control but not so much it’s difficult on the ankle. I found the only feasible way to keep control of pitch is full pitch is full up, it matches your natural tendency, move up to move note up. That means you can’t slide/bend down from above pitch but that is the trade off.The hardest part is the correct timing, ankle speed. You need to experiment to get the feel for different effects, and don’t overuse it.
We are all different, I not only play piano, but guitar with pedals, and a bit of drums, so got the hang of it in a minute, and actually find it much easier than using left hand on the keyboard controls, but some people can’t do it at all. You have to try for yourself. You might also have to play around with the physical set up of the pedal …resistance, pedal angle etc ….for comfort.
Here is an example using a pedal to get that “hank Marvin” sound.
https://app.box.com/s/mv78f0klsu8wkrlz2o0sol958neyq2q5
Mike

Offline ton37

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2024, 01:44:29 PM »
@MikeF, that was on the keyboard, I guess? Well done! Allow me to add my version on a real guitar to explain/let hear what I meant, to comparise  ;)
https://soundcloud.com/myguitarsong/wonderful-land

Sorry, I thought I was in another post and responded to that. That was also about slide effect..: https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,68397.msg516273.html#msg516273
A bit confusing, just skip pls. ;)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2024, 02:37:59 PM by ton37 »
My best regards,
Ton

Offline jdup

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2024, 06:28:50 PM »
Thanks, everyone, for sharing your thoughts and tips.

This is exactly what I was seeking.

Jim Duprey
Jim Duprey
Genos, Bose S1 Pro (2)

Offline mikf

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2024, 08:17:13 PM »
I agree with ton, that’s a good combination. One of the advantages of the CVP is that it already has three built in pedals, and you can add one more, which is necessary because none of the built in pedals is any use for volume/expression.
Mike

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2024, 09:50:32 AM »
Ton37,

Isn't the FC5 pedal an on off pedal with no ability to control the speed of the on and off?

Rick D.

Offline mikf

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2024, 04:54:00 PM »
Yes, but as the third pedal,  that is typically all you need because it’s unlikely you need to control three functions simultaneously that need more the on/off.

Offline ton37

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2024, 07:28:47 PM »
Ton37,

Isn't the FC5 pedal an on off pedal with no ability to control the speed of the on and off?

Rick D.
Adding: you can use it for the slide in a guitar or violin etc. because the slide is a 'typical' effect (Slide=on; how deep or how short or quickly is how you play the pedal) and the dept (adjustable in the effect/slide menu) or speed can adjust by the way you touch the pedal with your feed.  ;) (like bending with the joystick)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2024, 07:30:54 PM by ton37 »
My best regards,
Ton