Author Topic: PSR SX900 Saving Operating Settings  (Read 3649 times)

BOAC

PSR SX900 Saving Operating Settings
« on: April 14, 2022, 11:58:51 AM »
Is there a GLOBAL ONE TOUCH way of saving EVERYTHING re the OPERATION of the instrument IN ONE GO.

The reason I ask is once I have mastered all my personalised menu settings, that include
Pedals (what they each do and which direction max vol is)
Keyboard Split (none, on either)
Midi  (second keyboard settings)
Live control knobs (both to volume 1 top, 2 bottom keyboards)

I don't want anything (more important ANYONE) changing them but if they do I can recall that setting instantly before I start playing.

The only thing I want to happen AFTERWARDS is the sound and style to change depending on the music registration I choose.

Thanks

Offline Denn

Re: PSR SX900 Saving Operating Settings
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2022, 01:09:08 PM »
Hello, You have the very reason why my SX900 went into the bin!
I now have an SX700 and have the same problems. I posted something about this on another post.

Making the pedal setting stay where I want it
« on: March 07, 2022, 06:14:03 AM »

I thought I had solved it but there is NO WAY you can save settings globally. You have to register them to EVERY BUTTON. Pressing the Freeze button will show that the pedals box is ticked, that make no difference to the kbd, it reverts to the default every time.
It is a pain. On my T4 I set the volume pedal (FC7) and the registration step up (FC5) just once. It stays there ALL the time. Press the Direct access and a foot pedal and you will see the default is Sustain and Articulation. You have to change these for EVERY button and register them, There is NO save for that. 
I have over 200 registrations on my T4. Just imagine having to set the buttons for the pedals for ALL that lot individually!
Sorry to be a wet blanket but that's the way it goes.
Kind regards, Denn.  :'(  :'(
« Last Edit: April 14, 2022, 01:12:24 PM by Denn »
Love knitting dolls

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2022, 02:27:40 PM »
Create a registration that sets the keyboard up the way you want. Call it something like 00Setup, so it will appear first in the list.

Load this registration every time you power on.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively

Offline DerekA

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2022, 02:55:17 PM »
Fred is 100% correct.

When you save a registration you get to choose what goes in it.

So, create one that just includes e.g. assignment setups. Then, if something knocks it out, just recall that registration and it will reset them.

You don't need to update all the other registrations, unless you managed to save them including the current assignment settings. If you did that, it was probably a mistake. I would recommend you only include e.g. assignment settings in a registration if you have a special need for them to be different in that particular case.
Genos

BOAC

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2022, 05:23:38 PM »
Hi Fred
This is exactly (I think) what I thought I had been doing it.
I had an excellent tutorial on the phone with Yamaha UK and we went through ending with me making a saving in my own directory.

BUT, even using FREEZE if I choose any of the 1000+ registrations, I loose me settings and have to set it all up one by one.

AND if I UNTICK STYLE in the Freeze window then selecting a registration (sound) then i lose setting again.

Is it possible as Denn said It can't be done ? ?  Is this the 900's Achilles' heel ?

I love it's sound but DRIVING it the way I WANT is a nightmare.
I purchased V Console
https://www.tyrosmagic.com/v-console
to get round this but it doesnt seem to help either.

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2022, 05:54:09 PM »
Hi Fred
This is exactly (I think) what I thought I had been doing it.
I had an excellent tutorial on the phone with Yamaha UK and we went through ending with me making a saving in my own directory.

BUT, even using FREEZE if I choose any of the 1000+ registrations, I loose me settings and have to set it all up one by one.

AND if I UNTICK STYLE in the Freeze window then selecting a registration (sound) then i lose setting again.

Is it possible as Denn said It can't be done ? ?  Is this the 900's Achilles' heel ?

I love it's sound but DRIVING it the way I WANT is a nightmare.
I purchased V Console
https://www.tyrosmagic.com/v-console
to get round this but it doesnt seem to help either.

It definitely can be done, so don't give up hope.

First, create your Setup registration properly.
Second, a midi configuration can't be stored in a registration, so make sure you have a user configuration for this.
Third, go to Parameter Lock (in Menu>Utility), and turn on Split Point, and probably Fingering and Master Eq
Fourth, don't use Freeze: it gets in the way of designing your registrations properly.
Fifth, take one of your song registrations, and ensure it sets only the parameters you want, and doesn't set what you don't (ie, Pedals). Re-memorize each registration and save the file.

Now, turn off the keyboard, power it on, load your setup registration, then your song. It should be set up properly.

When this works, you will need to determine what your song registrations are setting that you don't want changed (likely pedals and assignables). If it's just these two, you could permanently use Freeze for them, or use Murray Best's Registration Manager to fix the registrations.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2022, 06:17:12 PM »
Fred, there are some items that cannot be saved in Parameter Lock (I found this out the hard way.) Mic Setting reverts to default even after checking the box in Parameter Lock, once the keyboard is powered off. Fortunately, you can save it in a registration and mic setting user area.

However, after firing up the keyboard, then selecting your setup registration with the mic settings, you can then place a check in Parameter Lock, and it will be locked in place throughout the performance. I talked with Yamaha about this and they said they would address this in upcoming OS updates, but they never seemed to get around to doing it. :)

Gary
Love Those Yammies...

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2022, 07:52:11 PM »
Fred, there are some items that cannot be saved in Parameter Lock (I found this out the hard way.) Mic Setting reverts to default even after checking the box in Parameter Lock, once the keyboard is powered off. Fortunately, you can save it in a registration and mic setting user area.

However, after firing up the keyboard, then selecting your setup registration with the mic settings, you can then place a check in Parameter Lock, and it will be locked in place throughout the performance. I talked with Yamaha about this and they said they would address this in upcoming OS updates, but they never seemed to get around to doing it. :)

I agree more parameters should be available in Parameter Lock (especially assignables), but once you’ve set the items you want locked, the keyboard remembers them forever. So at least they’ve fixed that.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline Denn

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2022, 10:41:03 PM »
No matter which way you do it, standing on your head or jumping on the ceiling, the moment you change the style you loose your pedal settings!
I made a Base registration which I thought solved the problem. Sure, bring that in and overlay the voices. Change the style when you are playing and the kbd reverts to default.
Because of the way I play I always have the touch OFF. I have assigned this to button 'F'. Seems to work some of the time but very unpredictable.

Denn.
Love knitting dolls

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2022, 01:28:21 AM »
No matter which way you do it, standing on your head or jumping on the ceiling, the moment you change the style you loose your pedal settings!

This is simply not true, Denn. A registration can change pedal settings, but manually changing a style will not.

I made a Base registration which I thought solved the problem. Sure, bring that in and overlay the voices. Change the style when you are playing and the kbd reverts to default.

Upload your registration so we can take a look at it. We'll help you figure out what's going wrong.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline EileenL

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2022, 01:53:32 PM »
When you make a set up registration you will have all the boxes ticked for the functions you need included in your set up. You must then make sure that you remove those ticks when making further registration banks. If you don't and then use a registration that has been saved using other things the keyboard will then not react to your choice but change to those other settings.

BOAC

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2022, 05:22:20 AM »
Hi all, thanks for the suggestions. I think I am defeated.
Maybe what I want to do is out of the norm too much
I only play with Registrations sent to me on USB, I have about 1200 + 20 or more from V Console.
I only want to do ONE thing,
SETUP my PREFERENCES, which I mentioned in my first post.
and then SELECT and PLAY, ANY of the PRESET registrations on the USB, I can set up the operation the way I want, I can Freeze the 900 BUT in doing so I can’t recall part (the style) of the SOUNDS I want, because if I release STYLE from the FREEZE Setting I loose keyboard split, and pedal settings + Live Control.
Which I then have to set up manually
With a live orchestra waiting on me this is not acceptable. 50 or so people waiting for me to fiddle around with unlit knobs in semi darkness !
I do have an ELS02X where I work that does all I want, but not at home where I'm stuck with the 900 that has better voices anyway AND people prefer

Ive been playing with a Genos but its at another level of learning and seems to suffer from the same software problem, very dissapointed.

Come on YAMAHA its a small change to the software ONLY and wouldnt affect anyone.

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2022, 05:56:35 AM »
Hi all, thanks for the suggestions. I think I am defeated.
Maybe what I want to do is out of the norm too much
I only play with Registrations sent to me on USB, I have about 1200 + 20 or more from V Console.
I only want to do ONE thing,
SETUP my PREFERENCES, which I mentioned in my first post.
and then SELECT and PLAY, ANY of the PRESET registrations on the USB, I can set up the operation the way I want, I can Freeze the 900 BUT in doing so I can’t recall part (the style) of the SOUNDS I want, because if I release STYLE from the FREEZE Setting I loose keyboard split, and pedal settings + Live Control.
Which I then have to set up manually
With a live orchestra waiting on me this is not acceptable. 50 or so people waiting for me to fiddle around with unlit knobs in semi darkness !
I do have an ELS02X where I work that does all I want, but not at home where I'm stuck with the 900 that has better voices anyway AND people prefer

Ive been playing with a Genos but its at another level of learning and seems to suffer from the same software problem, very dissapointed.

Come on YAMAHA its a small change to the software ONLY and wouldnt affect anyone.

Or, your other option is to follow the advice you’ve been given. What you want to do can be done on your existing system. No changes from Yamaha are needed.

Whether you want to stay mad at Yamaha, or have your problem solved, is your choice.

Cheers,
Frdd
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

BOAC

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2022, 03:21:04 PM »
Hi Fred. I thought I had, but I suspect the rub in your advice is

"Fifth, take one of your song registrations, and ensure it sets only the parameters you want, and doesn't set what you don't (ie, Pedals). Re-memorize each registration and save the file"

That means I have to go to over a 1000, nearly 1345 registration and alter each one, one by one, NO.
The whole point of my post was to set up some sort of paremeter lock so I can enter anyone elses registration WITHOUT it altering my operational settings.

I have NO registrations of my own, I select what is given to me or I have purchased and if its the sort of sound I like I compose, using that setting, back to square one, selecting that sound that I like ERASES all / most of my operational settings.

If someone would like to write a stage by stage proceedure I would be happy to donate to their charity or even PAY them for the instructions. Say $200 for a step by step guide ?

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2022, 04:05:35 PM »
Hi Fred. I thought I had, but I suspect the rub in your advice is

"Fifth, take one of your song registrations, and ensure it sets only the parameters you want, and doesn't set what you don't (ie, Pedals). Re-memorize each registration and save the file"

That means I have to go to over a 1000, nearly 1345 registration and alter each one, one by one, NO.
The whole point of my post was to set up some sort of paremeter lock so I can enter anyone elses registration WITHOUT it altering my operational settings.

I have NO registrations of my own, I select what is given to me or I have purchased and if its the sort of sound I like I compose, using that setting, back to square one, selecting that sound that I like ERASES all / most of my operational settings.

If someone would like to write a stage by stage proceedure I would be happy to donate to their charity or even PAY them for the instructions. Say $200 for a step by step guide ?

OK. Let me modify my advice:
-- Use Parameter Lock for Split, Fingering and Master EQ
-- Use Freeze for Pedals and Assignables

And, ensure you have the latest version of the operating system.

Your problem can be solved. You just have to be interested in solving it.

Cheers,
Fred
« Last Edit: April 16, 2022, 04:13:56 PM by Fred Smith »
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2022, 04:12:33 PM »
The problem is in your registrations - not the keyboard. Once you have created that startup registration, the next step would be to go to your registrations and uncheck PEDAL! Now, the pedal settings will be retained when that new registration is created. It's that easy! I've been doing this for a lot of years and it works just fine.

Good luck,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2022, 09:32:52 PM »
The problem is in your registrations - not the keyboard. Once you have created that startup registration, the next step would be to go to your registrations and uncheck PEDAL! Now, the pedal settings will be retained when that new registration is created. It's that easy! I've been doing this for a lot of years and it works just fine.

Gary,

The OP has 1345 registrations that would have to be changed, which is why your route is problematic. Thus my recommendation to use Freeze.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline murrayb

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2022, 10:18:27 PM »
You can modify the 1345 registrations in batch mode using my YRM program.

You can remove the sections of the registrations (pedals, midi, text) that you don't  want changed.  On split point you can update every registration to contain the same settings.

When you're  finished, you can create reports of the actual contents of all those registrations.

Cheers

Murray
One can do without most things, but not without the pleasure of music.

Check out my Registration Manager at:  http://psrtutorial.com/util/best.html