Author Topic: Registration Folder/File Recall - clarification  (Read 2277 times)

Offline dlepera

Registration Folder/File Recall - clarification
« on: April 13, 2022, 05:56:11 PM »
Hello.  I hate to bring this topic up again after what I thought I had a good understanding of and things have been working fine according to my understanding. It relates back to my first post on this topic

https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,57981.msg449514.html#msg449514

Like others when I created a RGT file save it, then moves voice, pads and style files and folders around on the USB , I could not longer play the Bank as it lost all connections to voices, pads & styles.

However today I took a folder that is on this forum T5 FB registrations(2016-09-04) and put just that folder on a usb and connected to my SX700, and all rgt files played well. I then decided to do the same with all the rgt files that I had created in a couple folders on my loaded USB.  Copied them to the USER memory and removed the UCB.  Again everything worked. I powered off the keyboard with no USB just to make sure nothing would reside in some kind of cache.  I took a blank USB also copied over the file from the forum with nothing else on it, connected it to the keyboard and it played everything well. 

So know, sorry I have to ask why does this approach work and the first approach from last year where I sorted files, voices and pads "AFTER" creating my registration files did not work?  Not exactly sure what is stored in the rgt file and/or what if anything is searched when the file is read to be able to play.

I know that I am getting older but hope that my memory is not failing me too badly yet!

Best Regards! dom
« Last Edit: April 13, 2022, 06:00:43 PM by dlepera »
Life is a learning experience and sharing it is it's biggest reward!

Offline travlin-easy

Re: Registration Folder/File Recall - clarification
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2022, 06:06:29 PM »
Dom, don't worry about the mind - my wife told me it was the second thing to go. ;)

Now, each of those entries to the registration has a number and location assigned to it when the registration is created. Everything has to match 100 percent or the registration will not function. When you try to use a registration created on different model keyboard, and if it used onboard style files, all bets are off - different numbers and different location.

I know it's a lot of work, but you may have to go through all those that do not function properly and edit them one by one and re-save them.

Good luck,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

The following users thanked this post: dlepera

Offline dlepera

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2022, 06:17:22 PM »
Hi Gary.  Thanks for the quick reply.  Well this is the problem I have tested all of them yes all of them and what I find mind blogging is that they all work. (took some time to verify them all of course) but I can not find one that does not work. Not sure who created the registrations from the forum or what keyboard was used but I am sure it was not an SX700 at the time.
  dom
« Last Edit: April 13, 2022, 06:30:55 PM by dlepera »

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2022, 07:59:32 PM »
The problem with moving files between folders (or drives) is when external files (like external styles or Multipads) are used. If all referenced styles, voices and Multipads are internal, which do not require a filename to be stored in the registration record, then you can move them around to your heart's content without any issues.

Yamaha is very consistent keeping the numerical identifiers (used in the registrations for styles, Multipads and voices) consistent across all the keyboards. So, when using registrations from older keyboards, it is very probable that the used styles, Multipads and Voices will be available (not always, but most of the time). There are lists comparing what is available on different keyboards to make it easy to determine if a given resource is available or not.

To reiterate: issues only arise when using external styles (or Multipads or Voices).

Regards!

Offline dlepera

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2022, 08:22:13 PM »
Hi Andres.  Some of what you say is making sense for those that I got from the forum and maybe all use the onboard sytles, voices and pads, however I know that the ones I created I used non-onboard styles. They were from the USB and they work without the USB connected.  So then I took that same USB and just shuffled folders and files around, connected and the rgts did not play properly.  So restored in the user area the working Folder before the shuffle, pulled the USB and they those worked.  Appears to me and I can be off base here, that if a USB is connected it thinks(paths to files) behave differently than when there is  no USB.  Some kind of a path override(just guessing). 

I am just very curious that is all, else I know how my keyboard is behaving now, and frankly I kind of like this way.   Have not played the Playlists to see if they are affected but that may be my next step.

Thanks for your time.      All the best!  dom
« Last Edit: April 14, 2022, 01:25:54 AM by dlepera »

Offline EileenL

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2022, 11:22:31 AM »
Playlist uses on board styles and voices so there will be no problem.
  If using third party styles and multi pads you must make sure they are never moved from where you linked them from or your registration will not find them.

Offline dlepera

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2022, 03:55:53 PM »
Eileen, good to know about the 3rd party stuff.  I just ever use what I got from the Forum and the packages I purchased from Joe. I suspect there are no 3rd party content(could be wrong).

I am still wondering however, how moving things around after I save a registration on the USB with the USB plugged in where they do not play after the move. Yet when I remove the USB and play the regts which do contain voices, pads, styles that came form other Keyboard models and not stock on my keyboard play fine which prompted this whole conversation.  I came across this when I started loading registrations and working fine and then noticed that my USB was not connected/plugged in.  My expectation was that they should not play since those things needed for the registration can only be obtained from the USB based on the links that you mentioned and previous conversations on this topic of registration. Apologize if I sound redundant with my question.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2022, 03:58:07 PM by dlepera »

Offline ticktock

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2022, 04:49:56 PM »
Hi Gary.  Thanks for the quick reply.  Well this is the problem I have tested all of them yes all of them and what I find mind blogging is that they all work. (took some time to verify them all of course) but I can not find one that does not work. Not sure who created the registrations from the forum or what keyboard was used but I am sure it was not an SX700 at the time.
  dom
Hi Dom,
Use Yamaha Registration Manager from Murray Best. It will tell you what keyboard the RGT was created. It also provides path to styles, voices,..using in the RGTs.
Ted

Offline dlepera

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2022, 05:36:59 PM »
Ted, I will download it and give it a whirl.  Thanks..
     dom

Offline dlepera

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2022, 02:41:21 AM »
Ted. just FYI... I did load down the Registration Manager from this site V5.1.1  and the only thing whirling at the moment is my head.  lol.   I searched Yamaha's site but did not see anything, a few other sites but in different languages and versions are older than 5.1.1  The one from the forum seems rather straight forward.  However, This version had the Genos as the closet keyboard to the SX700 so not sure if this is why I am getter the message " Failure to Load Critical Tables ".  Never a dual moment when it comes to software. 

Offline Bissig

Offline dlepera

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2022, 05:09:02 PM »
Hello Bissig, this link works perfect. No issues now.  Appreciate the support from you and everyone.

Best Regards! 

dom