Author Topic: Open Text vs other sheet music readers  (Read 2737 times)

aprilla

Open Text vs other sheet music readers
« on: March 26, 2022, 01:05:45 PM »
I was planning to use Open Text for opening sheet music, it's available here https://psrtutorial.com/MB/volbragt.html. I did use it for a short time 10+ years ago so am vaguely familiar with it, though might as well be new to it.

There were many posts about it 'way back' but they are gone, and it is seldom mentioned lately so I am wondering if it is not the best choice today. Is there much support for it now? I don't remember any real problems with it when I did use it, but my memory isn't to be 100% relied on, seems I played better then too  :(

Perhaps there is a good reason to use other software, but I haven't read anything about other software that makes me think it's a better solution, so I'm a bit undecided.

It's for hobby use, S900 with Windows 10 (Surface Pro)

Offline Fred Smith

Re: Open Text vs other sheet music readers
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2022, 03:11:39 PM »
I was planning to use Open Text for opening sheet music, it's available here https://psrtutorial.com/MB/volbragt.html. I did use it for a short time 10+ years ago so am vaguely familiar with it, though might as well be new to it.

There were many posts about it 'way back' but they are gone, and it is seldom mentioned lately so I am wondering if it is not the best choice today. Is there much support for it now? I don't remember any real problems with it when I did use it, but my memory isn't to be 100% relied on, seems I played better then too  :(

Perhaps there is a good reason to use other software, but I haven't read anything about other software that makes me think it's a better solution, so I'm a bit undecided.

It's for hobby use, S900 with Windows 10 (Surface Pro)

If you're using Windows, I think OpenText is your only option.

If you're looking at an Apple or Android device, they have more options.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline Tony09

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2022, 03:32:19 PM »
On Windows try MobileSheets https://zubersoft.com/mobilesheets/

There's a free version for trying it out.

Tony

aprilla

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2022, 05:30:19 PM »
On Windows try MobileSheets https://zubersoft.com/mobilesheets/

There's a free version for trying it out.

Tony

Thanks Tony, I considered it but when I was reading about it I saw it says "Select WiFi or Bluetooth from the 'Connect Using' dropdown" in the CONNECTING DEVICES AND SYNCHRONIZING PAGE TURNS

At the moment I have neither so figured it wouldn't work for me :)

aprilla

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2022, 07:13:24 PM »
If you're using Windows, I think OpenText is your only option.

If you're looking at an Apple or Android device, they have more options.

Cheers,
Fred

I think you are right Fred, good job Open Text is there for Windows users. I've nothing against it but just wondered why it's not as popular (or commented on, recommended) as it used to be and not what people are using. I guess it's very dependent on the system you use.

:)
Mary

Offline jdup

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2022, 08:18:42 PM »
I used Open Text successfully on a Windows 10 laptop PC for about 2 years with my PSR-S770. I was fairly pleased with it. I set it so that when I opened my registration for a song, the specific .pdf opened.

The only quirk was that after 12-15 songs, it tended to freeze on me. I learned to close it and reopen it, which solved the problem. It also required a free .pdf reader other than Adobe, but that was not a problem.

However, when I got my Genos a few months back, I switched to Mobile Sheets Pro. This is beautiful, and only costs about $12.50 one-time as a download. I highly recommend Mobile Sheets Pro. I suggest that you download it directly to the PC you intend to use it on. Lastly, Mobile Sheets Pro will allow you to import all of your .pdf's into its software Good luck!

Jim Duprey

Jim Duprey
Genos, Bose S1 Pro (2)
Former Keyboard: PSR-S770

aprilla

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2022, 08:49:42 PM »
I used Open Text successfully on a Windows 10 laptop PC for about 2 years with my PSR-S770. I was fairly pleased with it. I set it so that when I opened my registration for a song, the specific .pdf opened.

The only quirk was that after 12-15 songs, it tended to freeze on me. I learned to close it and reopen it, which solved the problem. It also required a free .pdf reader other than Adobe, but that was not a problem.

However, when I got my Genos a few months back, I switched to Mobile Sheets Pro. This is beautiful, and only costs about $12.50 one-time as a download. I highly recommend Mobile Sheets Pro. I suggest that you download it directly to the PC you intend to use it on. Lastly, Mobile Sheets Pro will allow you to import all of your .pdf's into its software Good luck!

Jim Duprey

Yes, it looks like nice software - but how do you link the pdfs to the keyboard. Reading it's instructions it seems to be either through Bluetooth or wireless... no wired option is mentioned.

Offline jdup

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2022, 10:29:08 PM »
With Open Text, I linked the opening of the .pdf to my registration by the creation of a Midi file that instructed it to open the .pdf. I needed to create a new Midi file for each song .pdf.

If you are just starting out, I would recommend Mobile Sheets Pro if you are a Windows user. I just feel it is more stable, and will be around for a long time. Because Open Text is free, it relies on the generous time of the developer, and they may not always be there.

Jim Duprey
Jim Duprey
Genos, Bose S1 Pro (2)
Former Keyboard: PSR-S770

Offline PhotoDoc05

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2022, 10:53:11 PM »
aprilla,

This thread got me interested in giving the Trial version some testing. You get 14 days of free access, so might as well just try it.

Yes, the instructions could be much clearer, but the app seems solid to me, using Windows 10 desktop, connecting to PSR-SX900 with a MIDI to USB cable. Works fine.
The current version is 3.4.7, but the Full Manual that you get is for an older version 3.0.4, and the screens are quite a bit different.
Not too difficult to figure things out -----  basically, you have to "Import" a pdf file into a "Library" that you are creating with MobileSheets. Make sure you have the corresponding registration loaded.

Then you have to "Edit the Song"   and when you're in that screen, you will see a "chain link" icon, which binds the files in both directions.
You can also edit in a lot of "metadata", which is useful for searching, as in a database.

Here's something else, that you and others might find very interesting......   one of those fields of metadata is "Custom", so you can use it any way that you want.
I used a little Windows trick ----  I copied and pasted the path and filename of the Reaper (DAW) project that I use with each song!  Now, it's a little cumbersome......
but it does bring all of my information together in one place!!  Granted, I have to manually open the Custom setting, then copy it, and paste it in a Command Prompt,
BUT --- it really works slick.  I have MobileSheets, my SX900 registration, and the Reaper project coordinated and organized.
"All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware."—Martin Buber

Offline Tony09

aprilla

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2022, 11:02:45 AM »
aprilla

Take a look here https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php?action=post;quote=448186;topic=57660.0;last_msg=448337

Tony

Thanks. I can't believe I hadn't yet searched this forum for Mobile Sheets info, my bad. Thanks for this, both informative and a head's up for me *doh*

aprilla

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2022, 11:21:55 AM »
Oh ....  This is interesting to me, I am a computer enjoyer. I used to spend much time in Windows playing with music/PSR, and even though I was hoping to avoid the computer and just play with my keyboard this time around, I can see now it's not likely. Very interesting.

Probably the only reason I was hesitating about just using Open Text is finding songs through the Registrations. Being unsure if I could connect with a cable was putting me off trying Mobile Sheets... knowing I can, I think looking at the Mobile Sheets trial is in my future.

Thanks for playing with it and sharing your discovery. I'll read some more about it on the forums and be ready to try it Tuesday, when I have some days off  8)

Mary

aprilla,

This thread got me interested in giving the Trial version some testing. You get 14 days of free access, so might as well just try it.

Yes, the instructions could be much clearer, but the app seems solid to me, using Windows 10 desktop, connecting to PSR-SX900 with a MIDI to USB cable. Works fine.
The current version is 3.4.7, but the Full Manual that you get is for an older version 3.0.4, and the screens are quite a bit different.
Not too difficult to figure things out -----  basically, you have to "Import" a pdf file into a "Library" that you are creating with MobileSheets. Make sure you have the corresponding registration loaded.

Then you have to "Edit the Song"   and when you're in that screen, you will see a "chain link" icon, which binds the files in both directions.
You can also edit in a lot of "metadata", which is useful for searching, as in a database.

Here's something else, that you and others might find very interesting......   one of those fields of metadata is "Custom", so you can use it any way that you want.
I used a little Windows trick ----  I copied and pasted the path and filename of the Reaper (DAW) project that I use with each song!  Now, it's a little cumbersome......
but it does bring all of my information together in one place!!  Granted, I have to manually open the Custom setting, then copy it, and paste it in a Command Prompt,
BUT --- it really works slick.  I have MobileSheets, my SX900 registration, and the Reaper project coordinated and organized.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2022, 10:22:23 PM by aprilla »