Author Topic: Topic missing or off limits  (Read 3208 times)

Topic missing or off limits
« on: March 25, 2022, 01:16:59 PM »
Hi all,

Sometimes I (we) get this notice. It would be nice to know why the post "is missing or off limits." Just curious. Some of the topics seem interesting but all of a sudden disappear. Thanks.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2022, 01:18:36 PM by Lee Batchelor »
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline Fred Smith

Re: Topic missing or off limits
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2022, 01:36:38 PM »
Sometimes I (we) get this notice. It would be nice to know why the post "is missing or off limits." Just curious. Some of the topics seem interesting but all of a sudden disappear. Thanks.

what notice?

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2022, 02:30:13 PM »
Hi Fred,

I took a screen shot but something went wrong when I tried to post it to this forum. It said the screen shot was already there??? The original error message was, "The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you."

I tried once again to add a screen shot of the error to this message but I got the same message, "Sorry! There is already an attachment with the same filename as the one you tried to upload. Please rename the file and try again." I cleared the attachment but still got this message.

I sometimes find this forum software clunky or awkward. It's like a pig on stilts. Perhaps I need to purge my temporary internet files? No other forum I belong to has these painful errors. Don't get me started on the bullet lists >:(!
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline DerekA

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2022, 03:43:40 PM »
If you are not logged in, you can see some topics, but not all of them.

Sometimes posts contain links to other posts you can only see if you are logged in.
Genos

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2022, 03:59:38 PM »
Thanks, Derek. I was logged in. It's happened before.

Offline Del B

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2022, 04:59:55 PM »
Perhaps your not worthy Lee.... :P lol only kidding

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2022, 07:06:07 PM »
Perhaps your not worthy Lee.... :P lol only kidding
No, no...you could be right, Del ;D!

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2022, 07:16:02 PM »
Hi Fred,

I took a screen shot but something went wrong when I tried to post it to this forum. It said the screen shot was already there??? The original error message was, "The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you."

I tried once again to add a screen shot of the error to this message but I got the same message, "Sorry! There is already an attachment with the same filename as the one you tried to upload. Please rename the file and try again." I cleared the attachment but still got this message.

I sometimes find this forum software clunky or awkward. It's like a pig on stilts. Perhaps I need to purge my temporary internet files? No other forum I belong to has these painful errors. Don't get me started on the bullet lists >:(!

It is annoying to get the "duplicate file name" message. I've posted Padstopper more than once, and have to rename it each time. But renaming is a simple solution.

And, it's entirely possible a topic has been deleted. Moderators often get a request to delete a post. Also, if you're looking for posts more than about 5 years old, all those were deleted in a mishap around then.

There are at least a few reasons to get the kind of error message you stated.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2022, 07:53:56 PM »
Thanks, Fred. I notice there is a Delete Post button on our posts, and yet, we can't delete our own posts! I think Roger is an excellent moderator but Simple Machines needs to update their software and ask users where improvements are needed. I have felt Roger's frustration on a few occasions >:(.

Offline overover

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2022, 08:24:10 PM »
Thanks, Fred. I notice there is a Delete Post button on our posts, and yet, we can't delete our own posts! I think Roger is an excellent moderator but Simple Machines needs to update their software and ask users where improvements are needed. I have felt Roger's frustration on a few occasions >:(.

Hi Lee,

It has happened to me several times that when I tried to reply to a post, I received an error message about missing access rights (or similar), even though I was logged in. The reason for this can be, for example, that the thread in question has been moved by a moderator/admin in the meantime.

By the way, deleting my own posts works fine for me. (I always use the latest version of the Firefox browser.)

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline mikf

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2022, 09:10:29 PM »
Deleting or modifying your own post should work.  Ive never had it not work,  although you cannot delete a thread, even if you started it.
Mike

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2022, 09:59:43 PM »
Hi Chris,
That was my original question. If I'm getting that error message, it would be nice to know why. There's no way to tell other than the post may have been deleted. It would be nice to know why because I was really interested in the post. I use Google Chrome. If a website is designed correctly, it should work on all browsers. Evidently, this is not so with this forum software. Something is amiss.

Hi Mike,
I have no idea why this software won't let me delete my own post. Not to sound like a broken record but something is inconsistent with this forum software. No worries, I still learn a lot from the fine folks who also own the Genos ;)!

Offline Roger Brenizer

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2022, 03:57:25 AM »
Hi Chris,
That was my original question. If I'm getting that error message, it would be nice to know why. There's no way to tell other than the post may have been deleted. It would be nice to know why because I was really interested in the post. I use Google Chrome. If a website is designed correctly, it should work on all browsers. Evidently, this is not so with this forum software. Something is amiss.

Hi Mike,
I have no idea why this software won't let me delete my own post. Not to sound like a broken record but something is inconsistent with this forum software. No worries, I still learn a lot from the fine folks who also own the Genos ;)!

Hi Lee,

The "missing or off limits" notice can be caused by a topic having been removed from the forum (missing) or the topic is posted in a board that a member can't access due their membership status (off limits).  If someone posts a link in the public forum to a Charter Member's board topic (which should never be done), when anyone but a Supporter or a Senior member clicks on the link (excluding administrators and moderators), they will receive the "missing or off limits" notification.

I use Google Chrome also, Lee, as do many other members and I've not had any reports about anyone not being able to remove their own post.  Mike is correct in that you can remove your own post (not to be confused with Topic), but you can't remove a topic you started.  Only an administrator or a moderator can remove topics.
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

(The older I get...the better I used to be...LOL!!!)
Roger’s PSR Performer Page

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2022, 01:32:44 PM »
Thanks for that, Roger.

The topic that went missing was the one by mtrigoboff saying he had created a style for Dancing In The Streets. I'm most interested to hear what he came up with because I do this song in a four piece band. I play brass and B3 parts together, using the LEFT and R1 channels. As a sidebar, any songs that I've played in the public for the past 30 years, have been for clients who pay into a performing rights organization (SOCAN) so that the musicians are covered against copyright violation. If his post was removed because it violated forum copyright rules, I can understand that.

I think I tried removing my own topic, hence why it didn't work. If I try to remove a post from someone else's topic, I can. I get that now. Thank for the help.

- Lee

Offline Roger Brenizer

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2022, 01:39:39 PM »
Thanks for that, Roger.

The topic that went missing was the one by mtrigoboff saying he had created a style for Dancing In The Streets. I'm most interested to hear what he came up with because I do this song in a four piece band. I play brass and B3 parts together, using the LEFT and R1 channels. As a sidebar, any songs that I've played in the public for the past 30 years, have been for clients who pay into a performing rights organization (SOCAN) so that the musicians are covered against copyright violation. If his post was removed because it violated forum copyright rules, I can understand that.

I think I tried removing my own topic, hence why it didn't work. If I try to remove a post from someone else's topic, I can. I get that now. Thank for the help.

- Lee

You're welcome, Lee.  I'm glad that everything is now sorted.  :)

Here's the link to Michael's (mtrigoboff) "Dancin' In The Street" topic.

https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,62558.0.html
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2022, 01:42:29 PM »
Wow, thanks for the link Roger! All's good.

Offline Michael Trigoboff

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2022, 10:21:05 PM »
The story of what happened is pretty amusing.

I posted the style in Genos - General because that's where I thought it belonged. An admin moved it to where it actually belonged, Styles/OTS.

I went back a while later to see if anybody had responded, and noticed it was in Styles/OTS. I thought that I had put it there by mistake, so I tried to remove it. That didn't work, so I reported it and asked that it be deleted. Then I posted it again (but I didn't know that I was doing it again) in Genos - General.

An admin noticed this and moved it again. Then another admin saw my deletion request and deleted it from Styles/OTS. So now it wasn't anywhere.

:)

This all got straightened out eventually via private messages. And now I know where to put a style if I want to post one.
retired software developer and Computer Science instructor
Grateful Deadhead emeritus

"He had decided to live forever or die in the attempt."
-- Joseph Heller, Catch-22

Offline Roger Brenizer

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2022, 11:07:02 PM »
The story of what happened is pretty amusing.

I posted the style in Genos - General because that's where I thought it belonged. An admin moved it to where it actually belonged, Styles/OTS.

I went back a while later to see if anybody had responded, and noticed it was in Styles/OTS. I thought that I had put it there by mistake, so I tried to remove it. That didn't work, so I reported it and asked that it be deleted. Then I posted it again (but I didn't know that I was doing it again) in Genos - General.

An admin noticed this and moved it again. Then another admin saw my deletion request and deleted it from Styles/OTS. So now it wasn't anywhere.

:)

This all got straightened out eventually via private messages. And now I know where to put a style if I want to post one.

That's not exactly what happened, but it's close enough, Michael.   :)   :)   ;D
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

The following users thanked this post: Michael Trigoboff

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2022, 12:16:47 AM »
Lee,

You might want to listen to the Grateful Dead performance I linked. I was only able to capture a fraction of what they do with that song. There are lots of ideas you might be able to pick up from them.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2022, 12:17:54 AM by mtrigoboff »

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2022, 01:27:32 AM »
Lee,

You might want to listen to the Grateful Dead performance I linked. I was only able to capture a fraction of what they do with that song. There are lots of ideas you might be able to pick up from them.
Yes, thanks for that. I did listen. What a unique approach. We do the traditional 1960s version. I never knew this version existed. I may suggest to our R&B band that we revisit our approach.

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2022, 01:38:56 AM »
What a unique approach. We do the traditional 1960s version. I never knew this version existed. I may suggest to our R&B band that we revisit our approach.

If you do, and you want to post some audio, I’d be interested to hear what your band does.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2022, 01:40:14 AM by mtrigoboff »

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2022, 01:05:00 PM »
If you do, and you want to post some audio, I’d be interested to hear what your band does.
I only recently joined this band and all their recordings have the previous keyboardist on them. I haven't been recorded yet. They haven't recorded Dancing In The Streets either. Covid has put a huge hole in the works! Perhaps in the following months I'll have something. Thanks.