Author Topic: Tyros 4 Expansion Memory problem  (Read 3985 times)

Offline aldus51

Tyros 4 Expansion Memory problem
« on: March 24, 2022, 04:11:03 PM »
Hello everyone ... Here I am again with the question that I had perhaps partly proposed about the UVN files
and regarding a Pack purchased on the web.
Having recently bought a Tyros4 and owned a Tyros2, I wanted to make the leap in quality
but I found that the Tyros4 did not have any memory expansion cards installed.
I searched the internet and find what seems to be right for me. Once the memory expansion card is installed the Tyros4 recognizes it and asks you to format it.
I perform formatting. Everything ok .... I state that I am not really a novice as far as computers are concerned since I have been repairing and assembling PCs since the early 90s. So something I understand.
When after formatting I try to load entries in * .UVN format, the loading starts but after a while the screen appears
which says: "Not enough space". The memory card is a gigabyte, the item I try to load is about 20 megabytes.
I have reformatted the card several times. Always with the same result! It is formatted but when I load something beyond a certain byte size the same message always comes out. Insufficient memory or space.
I passed out to buy this memory expansion. I write to the seller saying that something is wrong. The seller after looking
to explain how the items are loaded he decides to send me another one at his expense. Obviously I accepted.
After a couple of weeks the new Expansion arrives. I try everything again and the result is still the same.
I had bought a Pack on the web hoping to use it and upload it completely .... But no results.
They explained to me in various ways but the result is always the same.
Personally I don't think it depends on the Workstation but some doubts remain ... but if the card is seen with the right size and is formatted
I don't know what else to think. I ask for help from you who may have had the same problem.
Thanks to those who can answer me.
Here some link to video I made to show you how I am doin it.

https://1drv.ms/v/s!ArrC6SrIZYBQgoJBhmaoqAcIa45iog
https://1drv.ms/v/s!ArrC6SrIZYBQgoI-jexD3Y04CLwQqA
https://1drv.ms/v/s!ArrC6SrIZYBQgoI96qPKuOAe93plWA
https://1drv.ms/v/s!ArrC6SrIZYBQgoI_fpII6nracF6m1w
https://1drv.ms/v/s!ArrC6SrIZYBQgoJASLSuUPUAWjYS7g

Thanks in advance for any hints or help to solve this problem.

Offline Arnak

Re: Tyros 4 Expansion Memory problem
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2022, 10:41:21 PM »
Hi,

To check the installed Memory.

-> Press 'voice Creator' button -> [Button B] Library edit -> [Button 8 lower] Property.

The amount of memory installed will show.  If not, then there are 2 possible reasons, somehow you have managed to slot in the modules incorrectly or the Modules are not to Yamaha Specification.

I just noticed this on the web :-

Please note: There is only one Custom Voicebank on the T4 (maximum 128 Normal Voice slots for UVN files plus 20 Drum Voice slots for UVD files).

Your expansion pack lists 148 voices so could that be the problem?

I need to verify that statement regarding the voice slots but I do recall that it may well be correct, just checked that is the correct amount of voices.

Is that pack you are loading made for the T4?

Can you try loading a lesser number of voices, say 120 and see if that works?

Also, once the voices have loaded as far as they can, check the slots and see how many have been used.

Martin
« Last Edit: March 24, 2022, 11:00:35 PM by Arnak »

The following users thanked this post: aldus51

Offline aldus51

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2022, 11:17:56 PM »
Thanks, I will let you know...

Offline EileenL

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2022, 01:40:50 PM »
You will need to split this pack into two library's, Just load 128 in and then make a library and save it. Then create another Library with the ones left and save. Now try them out and any you don't like or will never use delete them. This may make the pack then small enough to load as one.

The following users thanked this post: aldus51

Offline aldus51

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2022, 12:34:30 AM »
Yeah... That's nice..... Good thinkong.... But I am not sure I know how to split this pack.... Can you help? Thank you

Offline EileenL

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2022, 12:48:40 PM »
What you need to do is load each voice individually to the numbers you choose. I tended to put all Piano voices together and all string voices together. Likewise with woodwind and brass. This way you can find them easily. When you have filled all slots then make a New Library. Now clear the voices and save in the rest you have left and make a new Library.
  Now you can listen to each Library and decide which sounds you really like and want to keep.

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2022, 07:00:55 PM »
From your videos, it looks as though you are having problems trying to load even one individual expansion voice.

One possible reason for this problem may be lack of space on the USER drive!

Although the wave files for custom voices are loaded into the memory on the expansion memory module, each voice also requires a small amount of space on the USER drive.  This is typically only a few kilobytes per voice, but there must be enough space available on the drive when you try to import the voice, or the process will fail and you will get that error message (which as usual with Yamaha, is not very helpful or informative!). In fact the message is actually referring to the User drive!

So it is worth checking the USER drive to see if it is full.

You can do this by opening any selection screen, 'VOICE' for example, then changing the display to 'List View' if necessary by pressing 'VIEW' (upper #7 button).

Tab to 'USER' and press 'Property' (F button), and the 'PROPERTY' window that opens will show you the 'DRIVE NAME'  (which must be 'USER'), the 'ALL SIZE' which is the size of the drive, and  'FREE AREA' which is the current empty space  on the drive.

If this is very low, then it is likely that this is why you are having problems loading even individual expansion voices.

The user drive on a T4 is only 6 MByte (which the Property window shows as '5.95(MBytes)', and can be filled quite easily.

If this is the problem then you will need to clear some space on the user drive.

You can do this on the keyboard or by connecting it to a computer and using Yamaha's 'Musicsoft Downloader' program.

The files on the User drive are in folders according to their type ('MULTI PAD', 'REGIST', 'SONG', 'STYLE', 'SYSTEM and 'VOICE') and each selection screen will only display files of it's specific type (although they will all list folders, even if there are no files of the correct type in them).

So you should check each file type using it's own selection screen to get a full picture of what is on the drive.

Regards

Ian

Offline aldus51

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2022, 10:18:31 PM »
Hello Ian aka Tyrosaurus, I am attaching two picture....... Before and after the deletion of the only  file there was in the user drive.
Let me know. Regards Aldus

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2022, 11:29:09 PM »
Hi Aldus,

The first screenshot shows 0 (Bytes) free space in the User drive and that is why you can't load any expansion voices.

The second image shows only 512 (Bytes) available, which is still unlikely to be enough to load even one expansion voice. They tend to need from 1 to 15 KBytes or so each.

You say that there was only one file on the User drive which you deleted to give the second image, but unless the memory is faulty (which I doubt), there must be other files on the drive! Something must still be occupying the majority of the drive.

Have you checked for Styles, Songs (MIDIs), Multi pads and Registrations using their specific file selection screens? The file selection screens will only list files of the same type as the Header that appears at the top of the screen, e.g. 'STYLE'.

You won't be able to load any expansion voices unless you can create some mote free space on the user drive.  Even deleting a single style should be enough to allow you to load one or two expansion voices to confirm that lack of space on the User drive is the problem. 

Regards

Ian

Offline aldus51

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2022, 12:00:33 AM »
This is the last try! Check te picture....
I would like to have you on my Whatsapp if you don't mind... For future references.... :-)
Regards again. Aldus

Offline aldus51

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2022, 12:32:06 AM »
Hi again... I have tried to upload a voice...  I can see the name in the custom voice but I cannot hear anything....
The user drive is completely empty... I have deleted evrything that was in there. Still no good...

Offline EileenL

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2022, 12:44:12 AM »
I don't seem to remember needing space on the user drive for custom voices on tyros 4. You only need them for Tyros5 and onwards because we now have to use the YEM for loading and you only need a little space on the user to hold the folders that give you access to them. It is totally different on Tyros 4.

Offline aldus51

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2022, 05:30:21 PM »
Hi Eileen...  I really don't know what to say..... At this moment I think I will leave the things as they are....
I am really disappointed about this problem non solved.... firstly because I've spent quite a lot of money to buy the expansion memory.
But nevermind this.... I am very grateful to all the people here that are trying to help....
My best regards again to all of you.....
Aldus

Offline Arnak

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2022, 08:33:34 PM »
Hi Aldus,

I noticed that the last picture you posted looked at the memory in a different way, could you please check the user dive as you did before and confirm that it is empty or at least has enough space?

Also please check the volume and that you have selected that custom voice, I realize that you have probably already done that but I have missed those steps occasionally including not having my foot volume pedal open enough :-[

Please do not give up yet, I believe that between us we can resolve this issue for you.

Martin
« Last Edit: March 27, 2022, 08:37:49 PM by Arnak »

Offline aldus51

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2022, 10:13:39 PM »
I won't give up of course....    :)

Offline EileenL

« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2022, 01:07:43 PM »
Have you tried loading in a few voices individually and then selecting them and listening to them.

Offline aldus51

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2022, 09:38:30 PM »
Hello Eileen... I can upload voices from the song creator/ individual load....At the moment I have uploaded three voices.... and then to use them and hear them I need to go to the Voice setion and choose "Expansion" then I can see the voices and select them.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2022, 01:01:41 PM »
That's fine.
  Just add the voices that way and when you have your favourite ones in there just make a library and save to your hard drive. This way you can have several different libraries that you can load at any time.

Offline aldus51

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2022, 04:39:05 PM »
Hi Eileen.... I wiil try to save a library... I'll let you know... Have a nice day.... Aldus