Author Topic: left part voice registration  (Read 1530 times)

ccm

left part voice registration
« on: March 24, 2022, 01:38:03 PM »
I find that I am unable to "memorize" a left part voice to a registration memory unless I also choose to memorize a "style."  I have this problem with both a psr-s950 and a psr-s970.  By way of explanation,  I wish to use the registration memory to record only voices (including a left part voice.)  I do not wish to record styles or tempos, etc., as I wish to be able to play a recorded song (i.e., a recorded midi sequence), and use the recall of registration memories to vary the voices of live playing without affecting the song playback.  The registration memory works fine for right part voices.  I can simply record (or "memorize") the right part voice(s) without choosing (or "ticking") to also record the style or tempo.  I have attempted two workarounds, neither of which is satisfactory.  First, I tried adding "style" to the registration memory, and then using the "freeze" function to block the recall of the style.  That does not work, as neither the style nor the left part voice is recalled (even though, in that instance, the left part voice does appear on the information screen for the registration memory).  Secondly, I tried recording the style, but with "accp" not active.  That works sometimes, but, depending on the song, the recall of the "style" affects the playback of the song even though "accp" is not active.  I do not wish to associate voices with particular songs, as that would greatly increase the number of registration memories I would need to utilize.  I see nothing in the owner's manual indicating that left part voices cannot be saved to a registration memory.  I would be most appreciative if anyone could tell me what I am doing wrong.  Thanks

ccm

Re: left part voice registration
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2022, 01:41:43 PM »
P.S.  I just realized that I posted this to the wrong forum.  Sorry.  But I would be curious to know if the PSR-SX900 also has this problem.  If not, a simple solution would be for me to purchase that model!  Thanks.

Offline ckobu

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2022, 02:13:45 PM »
Hi ccm,
You can use a simple trick to memorize the left voice without calling Style and tempo at the same time. Watch the video from this moment. Activate English subtitles.

https://youtu.be/WXKmjR68Dz4?t=382

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2022, 02:26:14 PM »
True. The left voice is part of the style group.

Here's the workaround:
1. Copy a user style (any one will do)
2. Memorize your registration with this style
3. Delete the style

The registration will load your left voice, look to load the style, not find it, so will do nothing with the currently loaded style.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively

ccm

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2022, 11:37:49 PM »
Thank you very much for your help.  I would not have discovered this in a thousand years!  At the risk of being a pest, I have one follow-up question.  Must I now re-save (memorize) all of my other registrations, including those that do not have a left part (which are most of them), using a phantom or ghost registration?  In other words, it appears that after I recall a registration with a left part (created using your workaround), and subsequently recall another registration which was not saved with a style and which does not have a left part, the left part from the prior registration remains in effect.  That, of course, would make it impossible for me to play what I want with the new (subsequent) registration, as I would not then want the left part to be active.  Or is there a better workaround for this issue?  Thanks

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2022, 07:23:07 PM »
Thank you very much for your help.  I would not have discovered this in a thousand years!  At the risk of being a pest, I have one follow-up question.  Must I now re-save (memorize) all of my other registrations, including those that do not have a left part (which are most of them), using a phantom or ghost registration?  In other words, it appears that after I recall a registration with a left part (created using your workaround), and subsequently recall another registration which was not saved with a style and which does not have a left part, the left part from the prior registration remains in effect.  That, of course, would make it impossible for me to play what I want with the new (subsequent) registration, as I would not then want the left part to be active.  Or is there a better workaround for this issue?  Thanks

I'm not sure I follow. Your other registrations either set the left voice or not. If a registration sets the left voice, it will continue to do so. If it doesn't set the left voice, the currently set left voice will be left alone. Again, this behavior isn't any different than before you created your "phantom" registration.

I don't see any other registrations doing anything different from what they did before.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

ccm

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2022, 09:51:30 PM »
Thanks for the quick response.  I guess my confusion revolves around the concept of "setting" a left voice, and whether that concept includes eliminating a left voice that was previously set.  In other words, if the keyboard is in a state where a left voice is active, how do I create a registration that will turn off the left voice, and make a new right voice active across all the keys of the keyboard?  Am I correct that the only way to do so is to save the new right voice registration with a style (phantom or actual)?  To state this another way, I want every registration to definitively eliminate all previous voices (including left voices) and replace those voices with those of the new registration (which may contain only right voices, in which case the prior left voice should be eliminated or turned off).  The only way I have found to do this is to record every registration with a style (phantom or actual).  Otherwise, as you sagely stated, the prior left voice will not be affected in any way (i.e., either as a change in the voice or as its state of being on or off.)

In any event, you have given me a way to accomplish my goal, for which I will be eternally grateful.  I shall, however, remain somewhat frustrated, as I would have thought the ability to easily set voices with registration memories would have been a most basic function not requiring the use of phantom styles.  I am sure there is some technical reason why this is not possible, but at a minimum one would think this issue may  warrant a sentence or two in the owner's manual.  Or, alternatively, perhaps because of my ignorance, I am the only user who desires this functionality.  Thanks again for your kind assistance, and I promise I will not bother you again (at least for a reasonable time!).