Author Topic: Would a USB hard disc work with S900?  (Read 3644 times)

aprilla

Would a USB hard disc work with S900?
« on: March 21, 2022, 01:14:03 PM »
What would be the largest USB hard drive I could use with my S900?

Currently using 2 small USB sticks (I have a hub) but would like a larger solution, preferable one USB hard disc.... if it'll take it.

I just found this in the manual:
Up to two USB storage devices, such as a floppy disk
drive, hard disk drive, CD-ROM drive, flash memory
reader/writer, etc., can be connected to the [USB TO
DEVICE] terminal. (If necessary, use a USB hub. The
number of USB storage devices that can be used with
musical instruments simultaneously even when a USB
hub is used is a maximum of two.) This instrument can
recognize up to four drives in one USB storage device.

Other USB devices such as a computer keyboard or
mouse cannot be used

Does that mean I can partion a large disc into sizes the S900 can accept? I still haven't found what the max size is though my memory seems to think there is one.

Thanks
« Last Edit: March 21, 2022, 11:58:16 PM by aprilla »

Offline ton37

Re: Would a USB hard disc would work with S900?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2022, 01:54:20 PM »
Mmm.. why? I have a lot of styles, registrations, sounds on a USB stick. Also a lot of mp3 and wav files. It only uses about 12 GB! It is a 32 GB stick. A 128GB USB stick does not cost much more these days. So you can make it hard, but it's easier to just stick with a stick  ;D

BTW: don't ever do a 'search' when your SD/Stick is rather full. Then it seems the SX900 is 'hanging/freezing'
« Last Edit: March 21, 2022, 01:58:15 PM by ton37 »
My best regards,
Ton

Offline jtrue

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2022, 03:26:19 PM »
I no longer have an S900 but believe I was able to use a 16MB USB stick without difficulty.  There was a limit on how many files could be in a single folder, 250 if I remember correctly, and also on how deeply folders could be nested, perhaps 8 levels.  But I never found those limits to be restrictive. Just exercise a little care in organizing and placing files.

I agree with ton37, USB sticks are sufficient (as long as you make sure to regularly back them up!).

j.
It don't mean a thing...

aprilla

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2022, 03:39:47 PM »
Mmm.. why? I have a lot of styles, registrations, sounds on a USB stick. Also a lot of mp3 and wav files. It only uses about 12 GB! It is a 32 GB stick. A 128GB USB stick does not cost much more these days. So you can make it hard, but it's easier to just stick with a stick  ;D

BTW: don't ever do a 'search' when your SD/Stick is rather full. Then it seems the SX900 is 'hanging/freezing'

Interesting, I need to check my sizes.... I wanted to put my whole collection on it so I didn't have to go back and forth from computer so often :)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2022, 03:47:29 PM by aprilla »

Offline jtrue

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2022, 04:11:33 PM »
I forgot to mention the wisdom of using a short USB extension cable.  It saves you having to reach around the back of the keyboard to change USB sticks and, even better, all the wear and tear occurs at the USB stick end of the cable, not at the USB port on the keyboard which can be very expensive to repair.  There are cables available with right-angle connectors at the keyboard end to minimize how far out they extend and thus reduce the risk of bumping them and damaging the port.

j.
It don't mean a thing...

aprilla

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2022, 06:23:43 PM »
I forgot to mention the wisdom of using a short USB extension cable.  It saves you having to reach around the back of the keyboard to change USB sticks and, even better, all the wear and tear occurs at the USB stick end of the cable, not at the USB port on the keyboard which can be very expensive to repair.  There are cables available with right-angle connectors at the keyboard end to minimize how far out they extend and thus reduce the risk of bumping them and damaging the port.

j.

Yes, I do have an extension that lets me use 2 USB sticks. Great idea, one is permanent and the other moves files back and forth.

aprilla

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2022, 09:12:28 PM »
I no longer have an S900 but believe I was able to use a 16MB USB stick without difficulty.  There was a limit on how many files could be in a single folder, 250 if I remember correctly, and also on how deeply folders could be nested, perhaps 8 levels.  But I never found those limits to be restrictive. Just exercise a little care in organizing and placing files.

I agree with ton37, USB sticks are sufficient (as long as you make sure to regularly back them up!).

j.

Do you mean 16MB or maybe 16 Gig?

I'd like to put a midi collection onto something so I could just go through them on the keyboard, minimal moving back and forth from a computer. Likewise a styles collection. So lots of Gigs :) but it's what I like to play with. Some of the USB hard discs now are very tidy and I thought the idea was worth considering so was wondering what size would be possible, or impossible. I would test it myself but only have older, very large Terabyte drives and, without trying them, have doubts they'd work.... they are old and possibly not trustworthy also. I'll have to experiment.

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2022, 09:39:56 PM »
Keep in mind that midi files are very, very small, measured in kb and a 3mg thumb drive can hold thousands upon thousands of files. They will be listed alphabetically, by name, or numerically by file number. However, you can only transfer a specific number of files to your keyboard's onboard memory. I cannot recall that number, though it is quite high, nearly 200 if I recall.

Hope this helps,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

aprilla

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2022, 11:03:48 PM »
Keep in mind that midi files are very, very small, measured in kb and a 3mg thumb drive can hold thousands upon thousands of files. They will be listed alphabetically, by name, or numerically by file number. However, you can only transfer a specific number of files to your keyboard's onboard memory. I cannot recall that number, though it is quite high, nearly 200 if I recall.

Hope this helps,

Gary 8)

Thanks Gary. I'm hoping to get a vast collection onto something I can leave in the keyboard and play or audition keep/delete from there. I'm a hobby player and enjoy this but not the loading/unloading.... the keyboard isn't near the computer and I want to minimise trips back and forth, or even eliminate them if I can. I've read since originally asking that a USB stick can be partitioned (I hadn't thought of that) so I might see how that works on the S900 by experimenting with a 16 Gig stick I have already to see what the S900 will read from or what's too large. I can deal with folders and limiting files, that sort of thing, I just can't remember the maximum size the keyboard will read from! Anyway tomorrow I'll do some experimenting, that'll keep me occupied for a while LOL
« Last Edit: March 21, 2022, 11:05:46 PM by aprilla »

Offline jtrue

Re: Would a USB hard disc work with S900?
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2022, 02:03:49 PM »
Sorry, I meant 16GB and am glad you have one to experiment with.  If that does not work out a smaller capacity USB stick can still hold a very large number of files, as Gary has pointed out.  My memory may be faulty (no pun intended) but I am clear on the point that a USB stick was fully adequate to store everything I ever needed on my S900.

j.
It don't mean a thing...

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2022, 05:17:41 PM »
I use a 3mb USB drive that contains thousands of style files and several thousand midi files, and still have not used half of that drive's capacity. The USB drive I chose is very tiny, and the drive extends just 1/4 inch from the socket, therefore, allowing me to leave it plugged in the keyboard at all times and will not be damaged during transporting from one job to another. The only time I remove it is when I want to download some new files from my PC and preview them in the Keyboard.

Hope this helps,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

aprilla

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2022, 06:04:37 PM »
Thanks for keeping after me :)
I emptied my trustworthy 16Gig stick, brought it to the keyboard and the PSR S900 wanted to format it, so I let it. Whew, it worked on the PSR... so back to the computer and made a couple of folders, put a bit of stuff on it and it's navigating great on the S900. I'm delighted.
I used to have the PSR connected to a computer right beside it so I never relied on USB for storage, and probably used the computer more than the PSR if I'm honest so I don't want them together now. I don't want that this time around :)
I know 16Gig is a big space and a lot of stuff (and I do realise I probably will never touch a fraction of it) but I want to have everything on the keyboard, minimise going back and forth from computer to keyboard now they are in different rooms. This should set me up nicely, thanks. (and other half would thank you also - he'll be delighted I won't be crossing in front of the TV as often!)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2022, 06:54:42 PM by aprilla »