Author Topic: Drums: Channel 9 Or 10?  (Read 1664 times)

Offline Michael Trigoboff

Drums: Channel 9 Or 10?
« on: March 15, 2022, 06:59:59 AM »
When building a style, I can apparently put the drum track on either channel 9 or 10. Does it matter which one I choose? Is there some standard? Why are there two channels devoted to drums?
retired software developer and Computer Science instructor
Grateful Deadhead emeritus

"He had decided to live forever or die in the attempt."
-- Joseph Heller, Catch-22

Offline Mark

Re: Drums: Channel 9 Or 10?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2022, 11:10:40 AM »
Hi, AFAIK  Channel 10 is always used for drums and channel 9 is usually used for percussions. Sometimes, however you can use channel 9 for other instruments as well. This is how yamaha styles are built.

The following users thanked this post: Michael Trigoboff

Offline EileenL

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2022, 01:10:30 PM »
You will usually find things like Tambourine or Taps as in the Tap Dance swing on track nine. This makes it easier to turn them down or off if you don't require them in certain songs. Also the track may contain an extra instrument that you want to use in certain parts of your style. The main drum kit is always on track ten though but content of track nine is up to you.

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2022, 01:19:31 PM »
Channel 10 became the default MIDI standard for the primary drum kit years ago. Eileen is correct about Channel 9. It carries spare percussion in any form. The Classic example is when a singer or similar band member on the live stage plays a shaker or tambourine in the chorus parts. That information would be recorded to Channel 9 if you were doing the same thing on the Genos.

Edit
I have no idea why the word Classic is capitalized in this post. Another tech glitch??? They seem rampant everywhere these days!!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2022, 01:21:12 PM by Lee Batchelor »
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline Roger Brenizer

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2022, 02:53:14 AM »
Channel 10 became the default MIDI standard for the primary drum kit years ago. Eileen is correct about Channel 9. It carries spare percussion in any form. The Classic example is when a singer or similar band member on the live stage plays a shaker or tambourine in the chorus parts. That information would be recorded to Channel 9 if you were doing the same thing on the Genos.

Edit
I have no idea why the word Classic is capitalized in this post. Another tech glitch??? They seem rampant everywhere these days!!

It wasn't a tech glitch, Lee.  As you probably already know, we censor words using an administrative tool.  There was a time when a lot of Classical music was being posted on the forum and the word "Classic" was used in the topic title or music book title.  I was constantly editing posts of this nature, which was taking a lot of time, so I solved the issue by censoring the word Classic and replacing it with the word "(C)lassic".  This happened automatically and saved me a lot of time.

I just removed the word from our censored list, so you will now see that the word "Classic" is lower case in your post and correct.  :)

I also had to enclose the upper case "C" in my own word "Classic" above in parentheses, or it would now be displayed lower case.  I hope this makes sense to you, Lee.  :)
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

(The older I get...the better I used to be...LOL!!!)
Roger’s PSR Performer Page

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2022, 01:28:57 PM »
Yes that makes perfect sense, Roger. I run into similar scenarios while using the Autocorrect function in MS Word with my technical writing. Sometimes I need it both ways but that doesn't happen :). Thanks for chiming in.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.