Author Topic: T4 - piano octaves  (Read 2902 times)

JollyJim

T4 - piano octaves
« on: March 12, 2022, 01:58:48 PM »
Hi all

I'm not quite sure how to word this, so please have patience (it is, after all, a 'Just Wondered' question.....)

I have a 61 note T4.

When selecting a piano voice (I'm sure this applies to other voices but just want to keep it simple...), let's assume that I start playing in the 'middle octave' of the keyboard.....

1.... Is this the same 'pitched octave' as a 76 note keyboard?
2.... Is this the same 'pitched octave' as an 88 note acoustic piano keyboard?

3.... If I 'minus two octaves', does this take me to the bottom octave of the 76 and/or 88?
4.... Likewise, if I 'plus two octaves' etc

...the mind boggles, hopefully someone might be interested enough to respond, in which case, thanks in advance

Best wishes - Jim

Offline Denn

Re: T4 - piano octaves
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2022, 10:30:41 AM »
Hello, On the T4 your "middle C" note is in the start of the second octave from the left. The middle C on the T5 or Genos would correspond that position. Maybe there are some notes (keys) down or up to accommodate the 76 kbd and 88kb but generally the middle C key is the one pointing at your belly button when you sit in front of the kbd. Hopes this helps.  ;D
Regards, Den.
Love knitting dolls

Offline DerekA

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2022, 12:35:51 PM »
440Hz is the reference pitch for the A above middle C.

Try a site like this which will play the reference tone. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGXYFJmvIvk

On any keyboard, match this A pitch with a simple voice then you know middle C is the C below that one.

Make sure the transpose option is off first though !
Genos

Offline mikf

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2022, 06:48:28 PM »
Middle C is normally the C nearest the middle regardless of how many keys are on the keyboard, and as already stated, if the instrument is in 'modern  concert pitch' the A above middle C will a frequency of 440Hz, which makes middle C about 261.6 Hz.
The lowest note the keyboard is capable of sounding is much lower than the unadjusted lowest key, because if you transpose the keyboard downwards ( ie minus) then every note on the keyboard gets pitched lower by that amount. So if you pitch the keyboard an octave lower, every note frequency drops by an octave, which is equivalent to halving the frequency, so middle C would then  drop to about 130Hz. Dropping two octaves would be quarter the original frequency.
Mike

JollyJim

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2022, 12:22:57 PM »
Hi All,

Thanks for replying - it's appreciated..

I can see where my 61 'maps' now onto a 76 or 88 so that's clarified the situation somewhat. It was set correctly octave-wise, but, my problem is, that playing the middle octave sounds as though it's an octave high, which it isn't. I've not had a lot of time to play lately, but, I would like to be able to set all piano voices one octave down without affecting any other instruments. I think it's possible on the Voice Creator (?) but maybe someone might be able to guide me on it.....

Thanks for the replies and, thanks for any in advance

Best wishes - Jim

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2022, 08:09:21 PM »
If you connect it to a digital piano using midi, yes, the C octave is correct on the digital piano. If you transpose it on the tyros, low end and high end scale notes will be affected and won't exist in a real piano.
I have mine connected to a P120 and it sounds exactly the same with internal piano and with the tyros piano (especially when the piano sound is exactly the same as the Tyros).

Offline overover

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2022, 08:56:37 PM »
Hi All,

Thanks for replying - it's appreciated..

I can see where my 61 'maps' now onto a 76 or 88 so that's clarified the situation somewhat. It was set correctly octave-wise, but, my problem is, that playing the middle octave sounds as though it's an octave high, which it isn't. I've not had a lot of time to play lately, but, I would like to be able to set all piano voices one octave down without affecting any other instruments. I think it's possible on the Voice Creator (?) but maybe someone might be able to guide me on it.....

Thanks for the replies and, thanks for any in advance

Best wishes - Jim

Hi Jim,

Preset Voices cannot be overwritten (by edited versions). But you could transpose the desired voices down an octave (in "Mixing Console > Tune" or in the Voice Set), then save the voice in the Voice Set as a User Voice (on the internal hard disk, in the internal User drive or on a USB stick) and use from there. Alternatively, you can also memorize the edited voices directly in Registrations (without creating User Voices first).

Please note that User Voices can only be used in Keyboard parts (Right1-3, Left), but NOT for revoicing Styles, MIDI files or Multi Pads. (In the latter cases, the edited Voice Set would not take effect, i.e. only the original Preset Voice would be loaded/used.)

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: March 21, 2022, 09:12:35 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

JollyJim

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2022, 10:06:26 PM »
Hi Chris,

Thanks for yours.

I've done as you suggested, lowered the octaves of the desired pianos via Mixing Console and saved the result on the hard drive.

It works great, thanks for the tip - it's appreciated

Regards to all - Jim

JollyJim

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2022, 10:07:55 PM »
Hi Chris,

Thanks for yours.

I've done as you suggested, lowered the octaves of the desired pianos via Mixing Console and saved the result on the hard drive.

It works great, thanks for the tip - it's appreciated

Regards to all - Jim