Author Topic: Failure of combinations of keyboard parts (Layers)  (Read 1337 times)

Offline Rich Z

Failure of combinations of keyboard parts (Layers)
« on: March 08, 2022, 12:51:15 AM »
So today I was puttering around on the Genos and while listening to a style, I was looking for the best sounds (to my ears) for my right hand. One Touch settings were giving me voice selections that I apparently could then select individually or in combination as layers. Hmm, odd...  Clicking the 3 buttons individually  for Voice Select gave me 3 separate selections, as I expected.  So I wanted to listen to the combinations (layers) of each of the three voices combined with the others.  Double hmm....  Well Right 1 and Right 2 will combine, but NOTHING will combine with Right 3. When I click the Right 3 button, both Right 1 and Right 2 voices are silent. So it appears I can select Right 1, Right 2, and Right 3 individually, and I can combine as a layered voice Right 1 and Right 2 combined.  Right 3 will ONLY play by itself, no matter what other buttons are selected.

I tried this with multiple styles both via the Voice Select buttons, and via the Home display where I could select the voices directly on the screen. Nothing changes the above situation with Right button selections.  Now I could swear that this used to work, but it certainly isn't working now. 

Thinking back about what I might have done to cause this, I am not coming up with any sort of smoking gun.  I did play around with base selection trying to get a base line to follow the chord movement I wanted. Never did anything with split points that I can recall.  I did that latest update (which btw, I do NOT get a tempo change from the wheel like I thought I would).  I did play around with registrations and playlists for a while, so is it possible that some registration changed a setting somewhere affecting the way that combination/layering is done?  I am looking through the Genos Owners Manual, but not seeing any clues about what might have gone wrong.

Anyone got any suggestions about where to look for some setting that got altered causing this problem? I am sure this is probably caused by a bad operator headspace alignment.  :)

Thanks.
Genos, Korg Kronos, two left feet for hands.  :(

Offline overover

Re: Failure of combinations of keyboard parts (Layers)
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2022, 02:16:03 AM »
Hi Rich,

If you want to combine (layer) all three Right parts, the Right3 split point must be set exactly one semitone higher than the Left split point. The standard split point setting is as follows:
   Style: F#2
   Left: F#2
   Right3: G2

If Right 3 in this example would be set to G#2, the parts Right1 and Right2 would only sound on the Note G2 as soon as you activate Right3 (and Right3 from G#2).

I'm sure the problem is resolved when you set the Right3 SP as mentioned above.

By the way, the split points are always automatically memorized to Registrations (Style and Left SP with the checkmark "Style", Right3 SP with the checkmark "Voice"). Therefore, the Split Point settings can of course also be changed unintentionally by Registrations.

If you always work with the same SP settings, you can lock them in "Parameter Lock". The same applies to the chord fingering setting. Then the relevant settings can no longer be changed by Registrations or MIDI files, but only directly in the respective settings display.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: March 08, 2022, 02:25:14 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline Rich Z

Re: Failure of combinations of keyboard parts (Layers)
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2022, 11:29:59 PM »
Chris,

Thanks!  I've been looking over the manuals and have yet to stumble on the area that explicitly tells you that little detail.  I wish now I had paid attention to what that Right3 split point was set at to cause the problem I was having.  What threw me off the trail of thinking it might be a split point problem was that the Right 3 voice worked alone just fine for the entire section for the right side of the keyboard. And the Right 1 and Right 2 voices did the same. Ah well, just one of those things, I guess.  I suppose there is some danger of trying out *free* registrations without knowing what sort of protections need to be put in place beforehand.  I did set up a blank registration bank a little while back which should restore things to the defaults, but honestly, I didn't think to try that when I noticed the problem. There are SO many nooks and crannies in this keyboard I have yet to poke around in.

BTW is the system reset destructive to anything really important?  I thought I read somewhere that it wipes out the FAVORITES designations in the styles, but wouldn't swear to it.  I was thinking about trying that, but held off waiting for a possible answer here before I just went and likely made things worse.

Thanks again.
Genos, Korg Kronos, two left feet for hands.  :(