Author Topic: Keyboard harmony question  (Read 2108 times)

Offline Ray

Keyboard harmony question
« on: March 03, 2022, 09:48:37 AM »
I’m confused re the Keyboard Harmony type, what is the difference between “Full Chord” and “4Way Close”.
Each has EXACTLY, to me anyway, same four note symbol, indicating the top lead note and the three harmony notes below. Switch between each type, and they appear the same, and to me, also sound the same when played on the keyboard, using the single finger right hand and fully chorded left hand. Any info on this would be much appreciated, as I can’t hear any difference between the two, using the organ flutes.

Offline DerekA

Re: Keyboard harmony question
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2022, 12:37:37 PM »
I suggest you make a MIDI recording of exactly the same phrase, using the two alternate harmony settings. Then view them in the Score viewer to see any differences.
Genos

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2022, 02:01:58 PM »
I suggest you make a MIDI recording of exactly the same phrase, using the two alternate harmony settings. Then view them in the Score viewer to see any differences.

And, record each note of the scale. You will see subtle differences in some of the notes.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2022, 03:17:59 PM »
I’m confused re the Keyboard Harmony type, what is the difference between “Full Chord” and “4Way Close”.
Each has EXACTLY, to me anyway, same four note symbol, indicating the top lead note and the three harmony notes below. Switch between each type, and they appear the same, and to me, also sound the same when played on the keyboard, using the single finger right hand and fully chorded left hand. Any info on this would be much appreciated, as I can’t hear any difference between the two, using the organ flutes.

Hi Ray,

The result achieved with a particular Keyboard Harmony setting also depends heavily on the type of chord you are playing with your left hand. You may have (almost) the same result with simple chords (e.g. major, minor, dominant seventh) with different harmony types, while extended chords ("jazz chords") deliver different results.

Have you ever tried chord types like "M7(9)" or "m7(b5)"? (See also the attached picture.) The results with the two Keyboard Harmony types you mentioned may then differ.

Best regards,
Chris

[attachment deleted by admin]
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline Ray

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2022, 09:04:13 PM »
Thankyou Derek Fred and Chris, I follow what you said. Ray.