Author Topic: Managing All The Expansion Content?  (Read 1428 times)

Offline Michael Trigoboff

Managing All The Expansion Content?
« on: March 03, 2022, 01:57:43 AM »
I have noticed there is a lot of content available in the form of expansion packs for my new Genos. I have downloaded and installed (via YEM) all of the ones Yamaha provides. Even so, I have 57.49 GB of 58.21 GB still available. What is all this extra memory for?

Now I am searching through all of the different styles looking for ones that I like. I am keeping them organized using the Playlist/Registration features of the Genos.

The amount of stuff to evaluate and organize is kind of overwhelming. I'm curious what techniques others have developed to manage all of this. I feel like I may be doing it the hard way.

Also, is there a way to have the Genos tell you which expansion packs have been installed on it?
retired software developer and Computer Science instructor
Grateful Deadhead emeritus

"He had decided to live forever or die in the attempt."
-- Joseph Heller, Catch-22

Offline overover

Re: Managing All The Expansion Content?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2022, 09:20:59 AM »
Hi Michael,

You are talking about the internal User drive of the Genos (which is about 58 GB in size). Technically, this is an eMMC flash memory (embedded Multimedia Card). All files of the installed Expansion Packs (e.g. styles, registration bank files, voice set files for calling up the Expansion Voices, etc.) are stored in the "Expansion" folder in the User drive, but NOT the WAV samples of the Expansion Voices.

In principle, you can use the internal User drive in the same way as USB sticks. The difference is that there are main folders specified by the system in the User drive (e.g. STYLE, MULTI PAD, REGIST). When you connect the Genos to the computer in USB Storage Mode, you will see these main folders. On the other hand, these main folders are not required on USB sticks, you can create your folder structure as you wish.

During the Pack Installation, the WAV samples of the Expansion Voices are automatically stored in the so-called "Expansion Memory" (about 3 GB in the Genos). This is technically "NAND Flash" memory, which can be read very quickly (but is relatively slow to write to). Please also see here:
>>> https://sandsoftwaresound.net/yamaha-genos-tone-generation/

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: March 03, 2022, 09:30:22 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: Michael Trigoboff

Offline DerekA

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2022, 09:30:21 AM »
Those 58GB are there to do whatever you want with.

The largest files you're likely to create are multi-track audio, which may end up well into the tens of MB. But there's no doubt 58GB is far too much for most people to need.

If Yamaha had only given us 1GB no doubt there would have been complaints :)
Genos

Offline EileenL

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2022, 03:07:56 PM »
The Used drive takes the place of the hard drives that were fitted in the Tyros keyboards. Tyros 5 had a 500 Gb fitted which you would never have filled.