Author Topic: software to record keyboard playing as MIDI song ?  (Read 2735 times)

Offline tyros2009

software to record keyboard playing as MIDI song ?
« on: March 02, 2022, 03:04:25 PM »
I like to know which software (for Windows) can record keyboard playing as MIDI song.
My goal is to quickly create music score by simply playing the tune, while recording it.
Then quantize the melody track , plus some manual tweaks to get a correct music score.
Thanks for all inputs.
Korg PA-50, Yamaha YPG-235, E443, EW410, YPT400, Tyros3, Genos, Medeli AKX10, S770

Offline mikf

Re: software to record keyboard playing as MIDI song ?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2022, 03:18:24 PM »
Why dont you just do all this on the Tyros? No external software required.
Mike
« Last Edit: March 02, 2022, 06:23:41 PM by mikf »

Offline tyros2009

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2022, 06:47:32 PM »
That was what I have been doing for years. I have to copy these MIDI songs to USB, then bring it to PC to load and do some additional "polishing" works.
Korg PA-50, Yamaha YPG-235, E443, EW410, YPT400, Tyros3, Genos, Medeli AKX10, S770

Offline tyros2009

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2022, 02:18:58 AM »
Another reason is when I record MIDI song with my EW-410, the songs are merged inside an USR file.
I have to extract MIDI file(s) out of it (using the keyboard). I found that even if the USR file contain more than one MIDI songs in it, the extracted MIDI files have different names (SONG001, SONG002, etc...), but all of them are MIDI files of the most recently record MIDI song !!!

Offline SciNote

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2022, 06:43:14 AM »
I'm not sure if this would be helpful or not concerning your original request, but on your EW410, you should be able to save an internal song as a MIDI file directly to a USB flash drive without having to save all of the keyboard settings as a USR file and then try to extract the songs from the USER file.  I don't use MIDI too much and I'll admit that I am not very knowledgeable with it, but on my E433, I have saved an internal song (that I recorded on the keyboard's built-in sequencer) as a MIDI file to a flash drive, then had a totally separate keyboard read that song file from the flash drive and play it back.

The only concern, and something I am fuzzy on, is what happens to some of the tracks.  As I understand it, the MIDI file can only be created using 8 melody tracks or channels, but a song that you record on the keyboard has 10 melody tracks -- 5 tracks that each can contain main and dual voices, for a total of up to 10 separate instruments playing.  So I don't know if the extra 2 tracks are just deleted, if they are somehow merged with other tracks, or something else -- and I also do not know which extra tracks would even be affected.  If you use auto accompaniment when recording the song on the keyboard, then I believe that it uses the other 8 tracks or MIDI channels available.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2022, 06:44:56 AM by SciNote »
Bob
Current: Yamaha PSR-E433 (x2), Roland GAIA SH-01, Casio CDP-200R, Casio MT-68 (wired to bass pedals)
Past: Yamaha PSR-520, PSR-510, PSR-500, DX-7, D-80 home organ, and a few Casios

Offline tyros2009

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2022, 01:46:41 PM »
I start to use Style Magic to create song styles with proper intros.
I play the intro/ending tunes using the style and record these tunes as MIDI files (on USB).
Moving the USB to the PC to copy these MIDI files then bring the USB back to the keyboard is not very time consuming but quite cumbersome.
It would be much more convenient if I can record my keyboard playing on the PC directly.
Using Musescore, I could play notes on the keyboard and the note is "entered" in one Musescore staff, duration is fixed (such as all are quarter notes), unless I change the note duration before playing that note !!! Not a good way to create a music score either.

Offline overover

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2022, 02:21:36 PM »
I like to know which software (for Windows) can record keyboard playing as MIDI song.
My goal is to quickly create music score by simply playing the tune, while recording it.
Then quantize the melody track , plus some manual tweaks to get a correct music score.
Thanks for all inputs.

Hi tyros2009,

I recommend that you use a so-called "DAW" program (Digital Audio Workstation). Almost all DAWs offer good MIDI sequencing options (e.g. MIDI recording/editing) as well as good options for displaying/editing music notes (music score).

A very good, free DAW program is "Cakewalk by BandLab". Our forum member Casper (ckobu) has created various YT videos on how to use this program.
>>> https://www.bandlab.com/products/cakewalk

Another possibility would be Cubase. However, please note that the entry-level versions Cubase LE, AI and Elements do not contain a MIDI List Editor (which is indispensable for me, for example).

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: March 05, 2022, 02:24:14 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)