Author Topic: style without set tempo?  (Read 2533 times)

Offline sugarplumsss

style without set tempo?
« on: March 01, 2022, 11:18:42 AM »
I am trying to save modified styles ( I only use the rhy 1 and 2 ) but with no tempo saved?

I use T4 as a drum machine. Playing my own acmp and bass. MIDI songs are my latest interest. If anyone wishes to share knowledge on MIDI songs let me know.

Offline DerekA

Re: style without set tempo?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2022, 03:03:13 PM »
That is not possible; all styles must have a default tempo.
Genos

The following users thanked this post: sugarplumsss

Offline sugarplumsss

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2022, 02:05:27 PM »
This is not a straight forward question. It is instead a description of the unorthodox situation I am playing in now. I am hoping an interested user, might have observations that could help. I have avoided freeze and parameter lock, for fear my ignorance of t4, might create real issues downstream.  So I am stuck with changing parameters ( tempo, style, volumes of parts)  between each song!

I use the swing beat a lot...and to avoid monotony, I wanted to change the swing beats in the middle of a song. But the tempo being burned into a style, stops me from changing drum styles in middle of a song. This was why I started this thread.
Only registrations would permit me to change styles ( with same tempo ) in the middle of a song.
The reason I am not using registrations ( and would like to ) are complicated .

Basically: the volumes of the 5 parts I utilize, are never the same from gig to gig!
the 5 parts I use,  drum style, left manual bass, 3 right parts.

On the gig, I am currently only using headphones. the 2 main outputs are routed to bandleaders Bose. ( he says his single "stack" of Bose are stereo.
He says it sounds better than using my monitor.
I am cooperating with him, but eg, the left manual part- for bass- varies at beginning of the gig.
I cannot create a registration that will last long, because the levels change each night.
Tonight, the manual bass part ( in "left side" of keyboard ) was lowest ever,  at an unprecedented  24-27! 

To make matters even more unpredictable, I change levels during certain songs that I feel need to get louder or softer..( playing with dynamics )  I am speaking of individual parts, not the overall volume, which would be easy to change.

I look forward to eventually fixing this will of the wisp, volume issue; so registrations can be brought in.
One saving grace, the leader, who is extraordinary in his skill set; is unusually flexible in giving me more than ample time to set a number of parameters between each song! This amount of time ( never measured but maybe 40 seconds between songs) Between songs was verboten in my long history of gigging.
If he were demanding about quickly moving from song to song, I would be "up a creek".
I use T4 as a drum machine. Playing my own acmp and bass. MIDI songs are my latest interest. If anyone wishes to share knowledge on MIDI songs let me know.

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2022, 05:57:56 PM »
Hi sugarplumsss,

To prevent the current Style Tempo from changing when you (manually) change the Style, go to the following display:
[FUNCTION] > STYLE SETTING/SPLIT POINT/CHORD FINGERING > STYLE SETTING

There you change the "TEMPO" parameter from "RESET" to "HOLD" (at "Style Change Behavior"). Then close this display by pressing the [EXIT] button to save the changes.

If you now select a different Style while the Style is RUNNING, the current Tempo will be RETAINED, i.e. the default Tempo of the new Style will no longer be set.

Note: If you select another Style while the Style is STOPPED, the Tempo of the new Style will still be set! (On newer models, in addition to the aforementioned "Tempo HOLD" function, there is also the "Tempo LOCK" function, with which the current Style Tempo can be completely fixed. However, this is not available on Tyros4.)

P.S.
I strongly recommend that you familiarize yourself with the topic "Registrations". A Registration is nothing more than a "snap-shot" of the current panel settings, where YOU can specify which groups of parameters are memorized, i.e. later changed by calling up that Registration. (Or in other words: What is NOT memorized in the Registration will NOT be changed when the Registration is called up.)

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: March 06, 2022, 05:58:59 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: sugarplumsss

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2022, 04:08:53 AM »
40 seconds between songs! Thank god I don’t have to dance to your band. I’d be gone before the first break. So sad you’re severely limiting the venues that will take you for a gig.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline sugarplumsss

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2022, 10:38:18 AM »
Dear Fred
It is NOT a dance band   lol
« Last Edit: March 07, 2022, 11:09:04 AM by sugarplumsss »

Offline sugarplumsss

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2022, 10:52:49 AM »
Hi sugarplumsss,

To prevent the current Style Tempo from changing when you (manually) change the Style, go to the following display:
[FUNCTION] > STYLE SETTING/SPLIT POINT/CHORD FINGERING > STYLE SETTING

There you change the "TEMPO" parameter from "RESET" to "HOLD" (at "Style Change Behavior"). Then close this display by pressing the [EXIT] button to save the changes.

If you now select a different Style while the Style is RUNNING, the current Tempo will be RETAINED, i.e. the default Tempo of the new Style will no longer be set.

Note: If you select another Style while the Style is STOPPED, the Tempo of the new Style will still be set! (On newer models, in addition to the aforementioned "Tempo HOLD" function, there is also the "Tempo LOCK" function, with which the current Style Tempo can be completely fixed. However, this is not available on Tyros4.)

P.S.
I strongly recommend that you familiarize yourself with the topic "Registrations". A Registration is nothing more than a "snap-shot" of the current panel settings, where YOU can specify which groups of parameters are memorized, i.e. later changed by calling up that Registration. (Or in other words: What is NOT memorized in the Registration will NOT be changed when the Registration is called up.)

Best regards,
Chris

CHRIS  Your words are golden for me, and likely many here.

Note: I am NOT using the Tyros the way it was designed to be used - at least for most of the members here. To anyone not following this crazy thread I started from the beginning , there are two different things going on in it.
1. the changing of the style tempo
2 the changing of volumes/ mixes of the sounds.

In my defense... It's not like I haven't used a registration for each song, for a whole gig, I have.
What I have maybe not expressed well, On this NEW gig ( me as sideman ) is the changing volumes/ mixes  FOR EACH NIGHT. Not drastically changed ; but enough that I cannot trust registrations.
Starting the first song is unpredictable, mix-wise*****. The boss insists on controlling my levels. That's fine by me.. except it presents this unpredictable mix for each night; thus, with my lack of in-depth understanding of memorizing registrations; I cannot memorize a registration, then use it the next night, without the mix being off kilter.

I have never in my long career exclusively used headphones with no monitor whatsoever, I am only utilizing the leaders  mains to my left; not my right. The single main is a Bose... to my left.
Leader says it sounds better than when I used a single 10 inch monitor.
I do not protest.
I am historically somewhat argumentative about music with band members or leaders.
As I have aged, and been not fully employed, I have changed that approach!

***** And for reasons I cannot fathom... the mix of the left voice manual bass has dropped to unprecedented low levels ( I am speaking about MIDI levels , not real audio levels ( I assume it's called MIDI , I may be wrong to call it MIDI levels )
When the bass for first song is too loud .. and it was not too loud the day before, that is grounds for a discussion, but I do not argue.
The latest volume for the bass was in the vicinity of 25.
Set that low means volume or mix changes are especially sensitive.
Eg if the bass volume was 100... a change of +5 would not be that noticeable.
But if 25 is the base volume , a change of plus 5 IS a drastic change, at least to me it is.

I have to figure out how I can utilize registrations within these limitations.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2022, 11:10:28 AM by sugarplumsss »