Author Topic: Genos SA2 tenor sax vs real tenor sax  (Read 1481 times)

Genos SA2 tenor sax vs real tenor sax
« on: February 26, 2022, 03:49:20 PM »
Hey everyone, I have a CVP-809 that has the same tenor sax sound as the Genos, and I think the SA2 tenor sax is very realistic, So I want to make a comparison between this sound and a real tenor sax. But I would like to know first, Do you thing it is a great idea? Do you find it interesting? Thank you in advance for your comments

Offline ton37

Re: Genos SA2 tenor sax vs real tenor sax
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2022, 04:09:07 PM »
Hi Rodrigo, I have/had 3 tenor sax players in my circle of acquaintances and all 3 sound different. Let alone if they are edited/recorded and/or where and how they are played. There is actually not 1 yardstick against which you can lay a sax/ or other voice. There are too many variables to make a proper comparison. in other words be happy what you have and the SA2 sax of the Genos sounds great and you can tune it to your liking. Just my 2 cents
« Last Edit: February 26, 2022, 04:12:40 PM by ton37 »
My best regards,
Ton

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2022, 04:31:18 PM »
Hi Rodrigo,

The sax samples on the Genos are excellent. Rather than trying to figure out how to improve them, it's better use of your time to learn how to play them correctly.

The big mistake keyboardists make in playing sax on a Genos (or other keyboard) is they play the sax like they play a piano. Our fingers can move over the keys for minutes at a time without rest. With a wind instrument, the musician must breath. I good way to sort this out in your mind is to hold your breath at the beginning of a passage and when you run out of air, stop playing. Take a break. In a short time you'll determine how much you can play the sax voice and maintain its realism.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline Joe H

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2022, 07:02:44 PM »
I agree with Lee.  It's not so much the actual sound of the SA2 sax, as is the "articulation".  Not all sax players are the equal either. And as Lee says, it's very difficult to match the articulation of a real sax player with a keyboard.  I have the VL Virtual  Acoustic plug-in card that has virtual wind instruments using a BC2 Breath Controller.  VL is a real-time computer emulation of wind instruments. Using the breath is helpful, but it still takes a lot to coordinate playing the keyboard and blowing into the BC2 to get a realistic sounding sax. It takes a lot of practice just like playing real wind instruments.

Joe H
« Last Edit: February 26, 2022, 07:04:52 PM by Joe H »
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html