Author Topic: Assigning Functions to a Pedal  (Read 1614 times)

joemystery

Assigning Functions to a Pedal
« on: February 24, 2022, 12:12:14 AM »
Hello All:
Can anybody give me the steps to properly assign a function to a pedal? Lets say I want to control rotary slow/fast for organ. I have done the following but not successfully:

menu > assignable > click foot Pedal 2 > voice > click organ rotary slow/fast

At this point, I exit and return back to Assignable main screen and see organ rotary slow/fast listed under Foot Pedal 2.  I then exit and try to use. No luck!!

Is there some save operation that I must do? What's the deal? Seem close but no cigar. Thanks for the help. By the way, I am using a Tascam pedal which actually works fine moving through a registration sequence so I do not think its a pedal issue.     

Joe

« Last Edit: February 24, 2022, 12:18:09 AM by joemystery »

Offline Fred Smith

Re: Assigning Functions to a Pedal
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2022, 01:57:28 AM »
What you’re doing should work.

Are you per chance using registrations that are resetting the pedal settings?

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

joemystery

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2022, 02:41:00 AM »
Well Fred, first thanks for answering. That is a reasonable question.

1) I have not yet saved anything to registration memory. You seem to be indicating that my sequence of steps looks solid. Am I needing to save to registration memory,1-8.

2) Also when I leave the song in which I tried to make the function change to slow/fast the function has reverted back to Articulation 1, the original setting.

Joe
« Last Edit: February 24, 2022, 02:52:00 AM by joemystery »

The following users thanked this post: Denmo

Offline DerekA

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2022, 09:51:30 AM »
The pedal will only be able to switch the rotary speed if the voice is using one of the rotary speaker DSP effects.

If it's one of those voices that uses the joystick to switch slow/fast, it will not have any effect.
Genos

joemystery

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2022, 04:13:29 PM »
Thanks Derek. I will check that out today. Best

Offline Denn

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2022, 10:30:45 AM »
The question that Joe asked is How do you get the pedal assignment saved globally! I have put up a post asking this for my SX700. As yet it seems it is not possible to assign Volume Control globally to an FC7 pedal on the sx700. I don't want to have to register the Volume Control to every voice and every register that I make.
Sorry but it is these little things that Yamaha don't tell us that are frustrating.
Regards, Denn.
Love knitting dolls

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2022, 10:51:11 AM »
The question that Joe asked is How do you get the pedal assignment saved globally! I have put up a post asking this for my SX700. As yet it seems it is not possible to assign Volume Control globally to an FC7 pedal on the sx700. I don't want to have to register the Volume Control to every voice and every register that I make.
Sorry but it is these little things that Yamaha don't tell us that are frustrating.
Regards, Denn.

It is easy to have global pedal settings.

What you have to remember, though, is if you have registrations which set the pedal, then they will do what they’re told: they’ll set the pedal.

If you want global pedal settings, you need to ensure your registrations DON'T set the pedals.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline Denn

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2022, 11:32:20 AM »
Hello Fred, Thanks for your reply. This kbd arrived last Friday so is new out of the box. No registrations made except 2 made by me.
Think I may have solved the problem- for me at least. OK here we go. I cleared a new registration bank. No buttons lighted. Direct Access and press the foot pedal. Set the Assignment for the pedal to Volume. Exit. Set some voices  and pressed the memory button. Ensured the Pedal box was ticked then pressed Button 1. Did the same for button 2, et al. The volume control works. The 2 regs I have made still put the pedal to the default so I went through and re-registered the buttons. I now have a basic reg which I can work with. Generally on my T4 I just select any registration, change the style, put in the voices I want and save it to a new name. Problem is - when you have done something automatically over the years you tend to forget the simple intermediate steps.
Thanks lots for your help, makes me think. :)
Regards, Denn.
Love knitting dolls