Author Topic: Expansion Packs for DGX-670  (Read 6900 times)

Offline karstegg

Expansion Packs for DGX-670
« on: February 22, 2022, 06:05:01 AM »
Good day,

Thanks to all for a very helpful and informative forum. I am new to this forum as I recently bought a DGX-670. I am very satisfied with the piano. It is excellent! I was looking to get some pro expansion packs, however the yamaha musicsoft website does not have an option to purchase expansion packs for DGX. I also do not know how to get the instrument info file from DGX to register as a target on expansion manager software. Does anyone know where I can get expansion packs as well as using the expansion manager for DGX670

Thank you

Greg

Offline overover

Re: Expansion Packs for DGX-670
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2022, 09:19:19 AM »
Hi Greg,

Unfortunately, the DGX-670 (like the CVP models) is NOT compatible with the Yamaha Expansion Manager (YEM) technology. This is probably mainly due to the fact that the DGX-670 requires all the resources of the internal tone generator and the complete internal NAND flash memory (in which the voice's wave data is stored) for the internal voices (especially for the high-quality Piano voices and additional, high-quality effects I think).

The CVP-809 (like the Genos) even contains TWO tone generator chips. However, while on the Genos one of the tone generator chips including the associated NAND flash memory is reserved for Expansion Voices, the CVP-809 uses BOTH tone generators and the complete internal NAND flash memory for the high-quality internal voices.

Only the following models are currently compatible with the YEM Expansion Pack technology: Genos, Tyros5, PSR-SX models, PSR-A5000, PSR-Sx70 models.

P.S.
So you definitely can't install Expansion Packs on the DGX-670, i.e. no new voices (with new samples) can be added. You have to make do with the included voices and the onboard editing options (e.g. Voice Set / Mixer / Effects). .

But you can still use most available Yamaha STYLES on the DGX-670 (directly from the USB stick). Here on psrtutorial.com there are many Styles for free download.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: February 22, 2022, 09:21:41 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: Tranvin

Offline karstegg

Re: Expansion Packs for DGX-670
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2022, 05:16:38 AM »
Hi Chris,

Thanks for the reply. I am actually looking to install the styles. I found some free ones on the musicsoft website. which I downloaded - however it comes in a cpf format which cant be read by the DGX. I read somewhere that you need the YEM to install. Is there another way to extract the styles from the .cpf?

Regards
Greg