Author Topic: Video recording--next step up from smartphone--another question  (Read 1573 times)

Offline Jeff_M

Video recording--next step up from smartphone--another question
« on: February 15, 2022, 09:02:47 PM »
I'm recording videos on my PSR SX900 with an older smartphone and the Open Camera app.  This does ok, but it only records in mono.  I'd like to take the next step up and want to be able to record in stereo using the two cables coming from the PSR outputs.  I really don't want to break the bank.  I've found numerous video recorders in the $150 range on Amazon but can't find out what these have for audio inputs.  Anyone have any ideas?  Thanks....
« Last Edit: February 21, 2022, 04:49:58 PM by Jeff_M »

Offline ckobu

Re: Video recording--next step up from smartphone
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2022, 09:24:02 PM »
If you want to put in a little effort, you don’t have to buy anything. Keep recording with your mobile phone but at the same time record audio on the keyboard. After that, combine video from your mobile phone and audio from your keyboard into one.

https://youtu.be/Ehoq_vQM5Ko

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2022, 08:36:46 PM »
Hi Jeff, I had exactly the same problem when I started putting videos on you tube .the picture was good but the sound wasn't great. Having done a massive amount of research there really are very few mobiles or video cameras even at high prices that record good audio.  You have the facility to record either mp3 or wav on the SX900 on the audio record facility.

As has already been mentioned  record whilst you are playing and then I always first go to a good program for trimming your audio Audacity is free and great for this.

The reason I say is trimming is because obviously it takes a few seconds to sit at the keyboard and press record and the same to stop. You don't want a long gap either end.

Then when you upload your actual video footage I am presuming you are using video editing software..again there are many free programs out there although they often have limits on how much you can upload , watermarks etc.  I personally purchased the VSDC video and sound suite for a year and was approx £18 for the year and worth every penny spent.

You then upload your video into the program and you can add the sound and then with patience and a little cutting and splicing line up.the sound with the video . It can be a little tricky to start but you then get wav quality sound with your video and makes such a difference.

I am no technical wizard but gradually have got quite comfortable putting the sound with videos and then of course you can start adding pictures, text even video clips moving backgrounds and effects with your videos.  All depends how far you want to go but for £18 a year plus a decent camera stand with which to take the videos with a good stable mobile attachment the sky's the limit.

I hope this has helped in some way .. best wishes from David another SX900 owner

Offline Tony09

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2022, 11:31:26 AM »
ckobu

Another one of your excellent tutorial videos. Thank you.

For topping and tailing the unwanted parts of the video you created with stereo sound you might want to take a look at Lossless Cut. It's free, retains the part(s) you want to keep and doesn't re-encode the video. You will find it at the link below - scroll down the page to read all about it.

https://github.com/mifi/lossless-cut/

Tony

The following users thanked this post: overover

Offline Monsterlab

• Ubi est thesaurus tuus, ibi est cor tuum
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2022, 01:22:53 AM »
If I can help you, I record with a mobile phone on a Roland Go Mixer Pro-X mixer.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Jeff_M

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2022, 02:26:30 PM »
Excellent suggestions, much appreciated.  Ckobu, you really helped me out in getting my videos to work initially with the proper connectors; I think I may now be ready to try the fancier setup.  The Roland unit is also intriguing to say the least.  At any rate, looking forward to stereo recording.  Thanks again folks.

Offline Jeff_M

Re: Video recording--next step up from smartphone--another question
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2022, 04:52:12 PM »
Another question:  I have a small mixer from my Stagepas 600.  Would it be possible to plug in my stereo cables to the mixer and then from the mixer to the smartphone with, of course, the proper cable--2 male phone plugs into a single USB-C? 

Offline ckobu

Re: Video recording--next step up from smartphone--another question
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2022, 06:51:11 PM »
Hi Jeff
You can do it but you get nothing. All the more, the noise in the recording will only increase as the signal passes through the Stagepas.
Watch my video channel

The following users thanked this post: Jeff_M