Author Topic: Vocal Harmony XF?  (Read 1440 times)

Offline Michael Trigoboff

Vocal Harmony XF?
« on: February 18, 2022, 11:14:18 PM »
Page 119 of the Reference Manual refers to a Chord Source named XF. That abbreviation only appears on that one page and it’s never defined. What is it?
retired software developer and Computer Science instructor
Grateful Deadhead emeritus

"He had decided to live forever or die in the attempt."
-- Joseph Heller, Catch-22

Offline overover

Re: Vocal Harmony XF?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2022, 12:18:05 AM »
Hi Michael,

"XF" is the Yamaha standard for Lyrics and Chord events (so called "MIDI Meta Events) in MIDI files. (Probably "XG" means "Extended MIDI File"). If you play with a style and record it with "MIDI Quick Recording", the played chords are automatically written into the MIDI file as XF Chord events.

Many professionally produced MIDI files also contain XF Chord events (besides the lyrics). This will then show the chords in the Lyrics or Score display. You can also insert the XF Chord events (just like lyrics) into MIDI files, e.g. with programs like PSRUTI (free) or EasyXF3:
>>> https://psrtutorial.com/util/plate.html
>>> https://heikoplate.de/psruti.html
>>> https://www.midiland.de/en/software_frameset.htm

And in addition to displaying the chords in the aforementioned displays on the keyboard (or in suitable MIDI player/editor programs on the computer), the XF chords can also be used to control the Vocal Harmony on the keyboard.

By the way, MIDI Meta Events can only be used directly on the device on which the MIDI file is currently being played, i.e. MIDI Meta Events are NOT transmitted via a MIDI/USB-MIDI connection!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: February 19, 2022, 12:22:02 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: Michael Trigoboff

Offline Michael Trigoboff

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2022, 12:52:04 AM »
Thanks!

As a result of what you told me, I was able to go and find this.
retired software developer and Computer Science instructor
Grateful Deadhead emeritus

"He had decided to live forever or die in the attempt."
-- Joseph Heller, Catch-22

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2022, 01:42:28 AM »
Thanks!

As a result of what you told me, I was able to go and find this.

Hi Michael,

I'm glad that my tips helped you!

And yes, it's never a bad thing to have (or have read) this PDF. But please note that some things that Yamaha originally wanted to introduce with the XF format were ultimately not implemented at all or are currently not (or no longer) used.

For a list of the Meta Events that can be used in XG/XF MIDI files, see the Genos Data List on page 115 ("Song Meta Event List").

P.S.
"XG" (= Extended General MIDI) is the MIDI file standard developed by Yamaha (mainly describes the arrangement of the voices/voice banks and effects). So "XG" is a further development of the "GM" (General MIDI) standard. There is also the "GS" standard developed by Roland and the "GM2" standard used by various brands.

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: Michael Trigoboff