Author Topic: Hi, Everyone  (Read 2465 times)

Offline Michael Trigoboff

Hi, Everyone
« on: February 17, 2022, 12:43:10 AM »
I have been working with Yamaha synthesizers since 2011. I started with a Motif XF, and in 2016 traded it for a Montage. I learned a lot, but it was frustratingly difficult to put together a backup band. (For one thing, I am not talented at creating drum parts.)

Recently Yamaha introduced a "Pattern Sequencer" on the Montage. This helped me create backup bands, but it also convinced me that I like playing in front of backup bands more than things that a synthesizer is really designed for, like creating new sounds that no one has ever heard.

That thought pointed me towards Yamaha's arranger keyboards. As an experiment, I brought a PSR SX900. Two weeks later, I had fallen so in love with it that I traded it back in for a Genos. I bought both of them from Sweetwater, a company that is really great to work with. They took back the SX900 for a full refund, no problem.

(I also bought the Montage from Sweetwater. This involved returning the first two they sent because of defective lights in some of the buttons. There was no problem with this either. Like I said, they are great to work with.)

I have been on this forum for about a month so far, and I am totally impressed with both the help I have gotten with a number of questions, and what a happy place this is. Example: someone started a thread titled, "The Only Thing I Don't Like About The Genos." It turned out what he didn't like was that he didn't have enough time every day to play it.

In time, I hope to have learned enough to be able to help other people and return the favor. Since I'm a retired software engineer, I might even write some code to accomplish something with style files, if I run into something that everyone else who has already worked on this has not taken care of.

But mainly, I will be playing music happily on my new Genos.

I mainly play rock and jazz. My favorite band is the Grateful Dead.

I recently spent a couple of years learning to play their song, Estimated Prophet, which is in 7/4 time. I was at this concert. It blew my mind when I realized what they were doing. I was always ambitious to learn to play this song, but never had the time to devote to it until recently. I now have it as a Montage Pattern, and once I learn how to do it I am going to convert it into a Genos Style.

If this wasn't enough about me, you can find more at my Portland Community College web site. I teach Computer Science there.

(I was so wound up learning to use the PSR SX900 and then the Genos, that I didn't have time until now to post this.)

-- Michael Trigoboff
« Last Edit: February 17, 2022, 12:54:20 AM by mtrigoboff »
retired software developer and Computer Science instructor
Grateful Deadhead emeritus

"He had decided to live forever or die in the attempt."
-- Joseph Heller, Catch-22

Offline Roger Brenizer

Re: Hi, Everyone
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2022, 01:07:57 AM »
Hi Michael,

Welcome to the forum and thank you for becoming a member.  I’m sure you'll learn a lot about your Genos keyboard here on the forum and will experience many pleasurable hours playing it.

You’ll want to be sure to visit the Home page and check out some of the tutorials you will find links to there.  The following link will take you to the Home page of the website:

https://psrtutorial.com/

Should you later decide to become a supporting member, which will include lifetime membership, other forum boards will become available to you, as well as a wealth of additional musical knowledge; however, there is absolutely no obligation to do so.  You may also use the following link to discover the full benefit of becoming a Supporting Member of the PSR Tutorial.

https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,15536.0.html

You’ll also gain access to an Excel Song Index database, made available to supporting members by our good friend Peter (XeeniX), which presently contains almost 102,000 song titles in 2,654 indexed books.  This index is updated often.

In lieu of making a donation only, you may also order any of the websites resources, which can be found at the following link:

https://psrtutorial.com/cdrom/productsum.html

Joe Waters updated “Supporting the PSR Tutorial”, on August 27, 2017, which can be found here:

https://psrtutorial.com/cdrom/index.html

We’re so glad you've decided to become a member and very happy you've decided to become a part of this great forum family.  If you have any questions, then please just ask.  Many of our members are always very willing to help you.
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

(The older I get...the better I used to be...LOL!!!)
Roger’s PSR Performer Page

The following users thanked this post: JohnStarbuck

Offline overover

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2022, 02:01:24 AM »
Again, a warm welcome to the PSR Tutorial Forum, Michael!

And thank you for your detailed words about yourself!

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: JohnStarbuck, Michael Trigoboff

Offline MINKYCATS

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2022, 10:21:28 AM »
Hi Michael,

Welcome to the Forum.

Enjoy the Forum and making music.

Trevor (MINKYCATS)
Yamaha AR100 organ:  Genos
Previous: Hammond C3 with PR40 tone cabinet, Yamaha E30, Technics SX-EX60, Yamaha EL70, Technics KN7000, Tyros 5 - 61 and others.

The following users thanked this post: JohnStarbuck, Michael Trigoboff

Offline Toril S

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2022, 01:59:44 PM »
Welcome to the forum!!!
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

The following users thanked this post: Michael Trigoboff

Offline LaHawk

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2022, 02:29:00 PM »
There is so much to learn here, and it sounds like you have much to offer.
So welcome aboard Deadhead :) 
Larry   PSR-SX900
 My You Tube Recordings

The following users thanked this post: Michael Trigoboff

Offline Michael Trigoboff

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2022, 02:08:19 AM »
In case anyone's interested, here's a link to my SoundCloud account, where there are some songs that I put together using my Motif XF and Montage.
retired software developer and Computer Science instructor
Grateful Deadhead emeritus

"He had decided to live forever or die in the attempt."
-- Joseph Heller, Catch-22