Author Topic: Please help me...SX600  (Read 3027 times)

Popzopo

Please help me...SX600
« on: February 16, 2022, 10:03:57 PM »
I would like to connect a Yamaha SX600 with a Juzisound 2 sampler.
I tried with a normal USB cable (printer cable) .... it doesn't work.  Well with a USB to MIDI cable .... it also doesn't work.
and in the end I tried with a MIDI HOST controller .... it doesn't work either.
Do you need something else to adjust ?... I tried all the options.  I don't know where I'm wrong?

Offline overover

Re: Please help me...SX600
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2022, 01:07:54 AM »
Hi Popzopo,

Welcome to the PSR Tutorial Forum!

>>> Have you already used the Juzisound 2 sampler successfully with another MIDI keyboard?

>>> Are you already familiar with the operation of the Juzi, or are you completely new to it?

Since the SX600 does not have a DIN MIDI OUT, you must use USB-MIDI. The SX600 is USB-MIDI Class Compliant, so a direct connection via a USB 2.0 type AB cable ("printer cable") from the SX600's USB-to-HOST terminal to the Juzi's USB terminal should work. (This terminal has a USB HOST function and, according to the manufacturer's information, can be used to connect USB-MIDI keyboards.)

Important: The SX600's USB-to-DEVICE terminal CANNOT be used for USB-MIDI! So it would never work if you connected the USB-A plug of a USB-to-DIN MIDI adapter cable here!

Make sure that one of the Preset MIDI templates "All Parts" or "KBD & STYLE" is activated on the SX600. (See the chapter "MIDI Settings", from page 99 in the SX600 Reference Manual and also the attached screenshot.)
>>> https://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/musical_instruments/keyboards/arranger_workstations/psr-sx600/downloads.html#product-tabs

The differences between these two MIDI templates are as follows:

1. With "All Parts", the relevant keyboard parts must be switched ON on the SX600, otherwise nothing will be transmitted on the relevant MIDI channels. Here the assignment of the TRANSMIT channels for "All Parts":
Right 1 > Ch 1
Right 2 > Ch 2
Left > Ch 3

2. With "KBD & STYLE" the keyboard area above the style split point (right hand) is treated as "UPPER" part and transmitted on Ch 1. The keyboard area below the style split point (left hand) is treated as a "LOWER" part and sent on Ch 2. Important: In contrast to "All Parts", you can switch OFF keyboard parts (Right1, Right2 and/or Left) that are not required here if you do not need the internal Voice(s). The keyboard data is still sent via the channels 1 and 2 mentioned.

Basically, I recommend you to work with the MIDI template "KBD & STYLE", i.e. option 2.

If you have set everything on the SX600 as described and the USB cable is connected, you should actually hear something on the Juzi when you play on the SX600's keyboard. If not, you can use the MIDI analyzer function on the Juzi to check whether MIDI data is arriving. You may also have to make certain settings in the Juzi's MIDI setup (so that the correct parts are controlled with the incoming MIDI data).

Unfortunately, I cannot help you with the correct setup of the Juzi (e.g. installing the sounds correctly on the SD card, etc.) and the necessary settings. But on juzisound.com and the juzisound YouTube channel you will surely find the necessary information.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: February 17, 2022, 01:20:01 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Popzopo

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2022, 09:49:41 PM »
Hi,
Thank you very much for your reply.  Yes, this is the first time I've used Juzi2 on a keyboard.  I will try to set it again in MIDI settings.
Maybe on Juzi2 the MIDI output is not correct.  I'll try again, let you know if I succeeded. Thank's

Popzopo

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2022, 09:42:43 PM »
Hi,

I don't know how to get sound from JS2 on the keyboard?
I connected the MIDI host to JS2 on MIDI IN.  The MIDI IN lamp is blinking on JS2.
I connected the MIDI host controller via a USB cable to the keyboard.  the connection is made but I just don't get the sound on the keyboard.  I set everything to be the same channels.
On the Keyboard in MIDI settings in the Transmit part channels 1 and 2 flash but not in the rReceive part.
Even on JS2 the MIDI analyzer shows the tones I play on the keyboard .... but there is no sound.
I don't know where I'm wrong?

Offline overover

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2022, 10:45:37 PM »
Hi,

I don't know how to get sound from JS2 on the keyboard?
I connected the MIDI host to JS2 on MIDI IN.  The MIDI IN lamp is blinking on JS2.
I connected the MIDI host controller via a USB cable to the keyboard.  the connection is made but I just don't get the sound on the keyboard.  I set everything to be the same channels.
On the Keyboard in MIDI settings in the Transmit part channels 1 and 2 flash but not in the rReceive part.
Even on JS2 the MIDI analyzer shows the tones I play on the keyboard .... but there is no sound.
I don't know where I'm wrong?

Hi Popzopo,

First of all, no audio signals can be transmitted via a MIDI (or USB-MIDI) connection, only MIDI data, i.e. in your case the keyboard data of the SX700, which is used to control the Juzi.

Normally the intention is that the audio outputs of both the keyboard (in your case the SX700) and the Juzi are connected to an external mixer. And the stereo output of the mixer is connected to powered speakers. Or you use a power mixer (= mixer with built-in power amplifier) in connection with passive speakers.

If you want to play the sound of the Juzi through the internal speakers of the SX700, you have to connect the line outputs of the Juzi to the AUX INPUT of the SX700 with a suitable audio cable:

2 * 6.3 mm mono TS jack plugs > 3.5 mm stereo TRS mini jack plug:

After you have connected the audio cable as described, set the master volume dial of the Juzi to about half the volume ("12 o'clock"). If necessary, you can turn it up further/full later.

You set the master volume of the SX700 as usual. Important: You set the AUX IN volume in the Mixer of the SX700. (The AUX IN volume control should be found under Panel > Page 2.)

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris

➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

Popzopo

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2022, 11:18:48 PM »
Stupid of me .... I should have known that.  There is no audio signal over MIDI.
Thank you very much from the bottom of my heart, for the information and your help.

Offline overover

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2022, 04:25:01 AM »
You're welcome!

Thanks for your kind feedback!

Best regards,
Chris

Dommy11

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2022, 11:28:01 PM »
Hello guys recently having problems with my sx600 I cannot download any packs on expansion any more idk what's the issue with it was working fine a couple of days a ago but just recently it just won't let me install a pack any more every time I do it says '"System error,Data could not be saved" I've tried new firmware 1.03 it still don't work tried a different usb tried resetting the whole keyboard it just doesn't work can anyone help me ?

Zon

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2022, 11:05:38 PM »
The sx600 doesn't have a ton of memory, I think you're running out of on board storage. Check the size of the expansion packs.

Offline overover

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2022, 01:01:07 PM »
Hello guys recently having problems with my sx600 I cannot download any packs on expansion any more idk what's the issue with it was working fine a couple of days a ago but just recently it just won't let me install a pack any more every time I do it says '"System error,Data could not be saved" I've tried new firmware 1.03 it still don't work tried a different usb tried resetting the whole keyboard it just doesn't work can anyone help me ?

Welcome to the PSR Tutorial Forum, Dommy11!

Please note: Your request has nothing to do with the original topic of this thread (connecting an external hardware sampler to the SX600). Please do not hijack threads unrelated to your topic. It would be best if you start a new thread (topic) for your request (click the "New Topic" button at the top of the relevant board). Or you can of course also post in an existing thread that fits your topic.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: August 03, 2022, 01:07:10 PM by overover »