Author Topic: Unreliable button  (Read 2469 times)

Offline sugarplumsss

Unreliable button
« on: February 16, 2022, 06:53:40 PM »
One of the style buttons is not turning on, regardless of finger pressure.

I tried copying the whole "bank"( or whatever it is called ); all the variations of that style ( when it happened to finally turn on) into another section of t4.

Does labeling ( one of my many major confusions about t4 ) become an issue?

Should I rename these preset files to avoid problems?

Any other advice on the missing preset bank?

Thank you
« Last Edit: February 16, 2022, 07:09:22 PM by sugarplumsss »
I use T4 as a drum machine. Playing my own acmp and bass. MIDI songs are my latest interest. If anyone wishes to share knowledge on MIDI songs let me know.

Offline Toril S

Re: Unreliable button
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2022, 09:02:05 PM »
If one or more of the variation buttons are not lit, that means there is no data on that button. Many older styles have only two variations, in some cases only one.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

The following users thanked this post: sugarplumsss

Offline sugarplumsss

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2022, 12:00:20 AM »
I called it a style button
i mean the approx 16 buttons on the left

they each are assigned to a style
eg dance, jazz, country, r&b etc
one of them is not lit when you press it

thank you very much
I use T4 as a drum machine. Playing my own acmp and bass. MIDI songs are my latest interest. If anyone wishes to share knowledge on MIDI songs let me know.

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2022, 01:42:33 AM »
One of the style buttons is not turning on, regardless of finger pressure.

I tried copying the whole "bank"( or whatever it is called ); all the variations of that style ( when it happened to finally turn on) into another section of t4.

Does labeling ( one of my many major confusions about t4 ) become an issue?

Should I rename these preset files to avoid problems?

Any other advice on the missing preset bank?

Thank you

Hi sugarplumsss,

Your request makes me a bit helpless, unfortunately I can not figure out what it's all about. Maybe you try to describe it again with something in other words.

The T4 has 11 Style Category buttons (Pop&Rock to World). These should light up each when you press the button. To the right of the "World" button is the "File Access" button, which has a completely different function. (See the section "Memorizing Song/Style paths" in the T4 Owner's Manual, page 27.) If this button is turned ON (LED lights up), you can call up a previously defined Style (and thus a specific folder) with each Style Category button.

If you did not mean the "File Access" button, please tell us the exact name of that button.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: February 17, 2022, 03:36:25 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline sugarplumsss

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2022, 09:07:48 AM »
It's the category for R&B - It seldom lights when pressed,

It has lighted up ( when selected ) for 12 years, now it has stopped

My question was also about the fact that just prior to the unpredictable button totally stopped turning
I copied all of the R& B styles and pasted them either to USB or HD 
I have forgotten. 
But the gist of the question is focused on Labeling the newly created copy, with a different name.

I find this labeling aspect confusing***.
As for the button, that is a repair issue.

*** eg If I copy a rock beat from preset to USB, to USER and HD? 3 copies. Would it be wise to alter the spelling of each of the three versions?
even more confusing: if I make a variation on a rock beat in USB, do I have to be mindful of changing the name for that rock beat, 1.on the HD?
2. copied to the USER area?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2022, 09:22:33 AM by sugarplumsss »

Offline overover

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2022, 12:42:36 PM »
Hi sugarplumsss,

In principle, you do not necessarily need the Style Category buttons. When playing live, you usually work with Registrations anyway and don't call up Styles directly, at least not Preset Styles "as is" (without any adjustment).

Alternatively, if a Style Category button is broken, like the R&B button in your case, you can press any other Style Category button to open the Style Selection display. Then press the upper display button [8] ("UP") . This will bring you up one folder level, i.e. "out of the current folder". Now you see ALL Preset Style Category folders and can select the desired folder.

When you are in the MAIN display, press the display button [D] to open the Style Selection display. If you are already in the Preset drive, press "UP" (as described before) and select the desired other Category folder. (Of course, if you're in a different drive (User, HD1, or USB1) after pressing [D], you'll need to go to the Preset tab first.)

It happens again and again that certain panel buttons stop working. Very often this affects the display buttons (A - J) on Tyros models. The only permanent remedy is to have the relevant button (or ALL similar buttons in the relevant panel section) replaced by a technician. Sometimes it helps temporarily to press the button in question very often. Some users had already reported that faulty buttons worked better again if you "sucked off" the button with a fine vacuum cleaner nozzle for a long time. In my experience, only replacing these so-called "tact switches" helps in the long term.

If you copy Preset Styles to other drives, you don't need to rename them. But it doesn't hurt to change the Style name (e.g. add a number or a letter at the end) as soon as you have changed a Preset Style in the Style Creator and saved it again. (Simply to avoid confusion with the original Preset Style.) If a "non-Preset Style", i.e. a Style that is stored on one of the drives USER, HD1 or USB1, is already used in Registrations, the Style may of course NOT be renamed (or moved) afterwards.  Otherwise you would have to re-memorize the Registrations in question with the renamed/moved Style.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline DerekA

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2022, 01:15:38 PM »
Regarding labelling, it works the same way as your computer.

You cannot have more that one file (which is all a style is) with the same name in the same folder.

You can have as many files with the same name as you like, as long as each is in a different folder. And the name has no connection with what is actually in it.

When you make a copy, I would only change the name if you've changed something about the actual content (altered voices, balance, whatever). Then choose a name that will help you remember in future what's different about it.
Genos

The following users thanked this post: sugarplumsss, overover