Author Topic: MIDI Controller Keyboard?  (Read 2479 times)

Offline Michael Trigoboff

MIDI Controller Keyboard?
« on: February 15, 2022, 12:44:15 AM »
Is it possible to use an external MIDI Controller Keyboard with a Genos? I have a Roli Rise 25 that I would like to use.

I thought I might be able to use it via a Bluetooth connection, so I got a Yamaha BT-01 to plug into the MIDI connection B ports. That seems not to have worked, and from looking at the MIDI external controller settings on the Genos, it looks like I might not just be able to play notes and have them sounded by the Genos.

Correction:
If Bluetooth won’t work, is a MIDI USB connection possible?

I have only had the Genos for less than a week, so I basically know almost nothing, and would be grateful for any help or advice.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2022, 06:42:49 AM by mtrigoboff »
retired software developer and Computer Science instructor
Grateful Deadhead emeritus

"He had decided to live forever or die in the attempt."
-- Joseph Heller, Catch-22

Offline mikf

Re: MIDI Controller Keyboard?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2022, 01:09:59 AM »
I am not familiar with the keyboard you mention, but yes you can drive the Genos - and most other arrangers - from a controller, but you have to use a midi connection The midi set ups can be varied ( look at your manual) and will let you drive the whole range of Genos features from the controller. You can use any suitable midi keyboard, even a digital piano.
Here is an article I did many years ago which may help you.
https://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/13-cp33.html
Mike

The following users thanked this post: Michael Trigoboff

Offline overover

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2022, 02:30:23 AM »
Hi mtrigoboff,

The Yamaha Bluetooth LE MIDI adapter "MD-BT01" is intended for the connection of a DIN MIDI IN/OUT couple to an iOS/Android mobile device or a Mac. I am afraid of the "Roli Rise 25" is also only suitable for a BT-MIDI connection to a mobile device or computer, so not to connect to another BT-MIDI adapter like the MD-BT01.

As far as I know, the Roli Rise 25 has no DIN MIDI OUT, but only USB MIDI. Unfortunately, the Genos does not support the direct connection of USB MIDI devices, but only the USB MIDI connection to a computer (via the USB-to-Host terminal).

One way would be to use a "USB MIDI Host" Device. At that you connect the Roli via USB MIDI and go from there via a DIN MIDI cable to the geno:
>>> https://www.thomann.de/gb/miditech_usb_midi_host.htm

If you want to use the BT-MIDI connection of the ROLI, you would probably have to use a mobile device or a computer in between and use a MIDI routing app.

If you use a DIN MIDI connection, please use the MIDI B IN socket on the Genos to connect the DIN MIDI OUT of an external keyboard using a standard MIDI cable.

Note: The "External Controller" feature in the MIDI Setup is intended to control Functions/Parameters via an external MIDI controller (e.g. a MIDI Foot Pedal like the Yamaha MFC10). This settings are not used to connect an external MIDI keyboard. If the functions assigned in the "External Controller" tab are not needed, the MIDI port should be set to OFF there.

Select one of the Preset MIDI templates "All Parts" or "KBD & STYLE". Use MIDI Ch 1 as Transmit channel on the external keyboard. With the mentioned MIDI templates, Receive Ch 1 of Port 2 (= MIDI B IN) is set to the part "Keyboard". This way you can use the external keyboard just like the internal Genos keyboard.

If you want to control one specific keyboard part of the Genos from the external keyboard, you have the following options:

1. Use MIDI Transmit Ch 2, 3, 4 or 5 on the external keyboard to control the Genos parts Right1, Right2, Right3 or Left.

2. Still use MIDI Transmit Ch 1 on the external keyboard, but set in Genos MIDI Setup for "Receive Port2 / Ch1" the desired part to be controlled (i.e., instead of "Keyboard" you set there e.g. "Right3").

See also the attached screenshot. Note that you have to save the changes in a User MIDI template if you want the changes to be available again after a reboot.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: February 15, 2022, 05:12:08 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2022, 04:45:44 AM »
These two things don't really want to be compatible. They need some political conciliator :-)
Look at this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4h3J2WHv7o

Touch  settings need to be adjusted a bit, even may be volume.
A positive surprise is that, for example, quite a number of saxophones also respond significantly aftertouch.
Good luck!
Genos,  Roli Rise2

Offline Joe H

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2022, 04:25:20 PM »
Is it possible to use an external MIDI Controller Keyboard with a Genos? I have a Roli Rise 25 that I would like to use.

I thought I might be able to use it via a Bluetooth connection, so I got a Yamaha BT-01 to plug into the MIDI connection B ports. That seems not to have worked, and from looking at the MIDI external controller settings on the Genos, it looks like I might not just be able to play notes and have them sounded by the Genos.

Correction:
If Bluetooth won’t work, is a MIDI USB connection possible?

I have only had the Genos for less than a week, so I basically know almost nothing, and would be grateful for any help or advice.

Lucky you to have a Roli Seaboard Rise 25

Another way to convert the USB out to MIDI on the Seaboard is to use this box:  https://www.doremidi.cn/h-pd-36.html?fromColId=2

If you want to use the Seaboard to play the Genos Voices then create a MIDI configuration specifically for that.

R1 Local Off
Transmit: All settings Off
Receive:  All settings On

For those not familiar with the Seaboard it is basically a MIDI controller that has a lot of Ribbon sensors that send programmable MIDI messages.  It is far more expressive that using a standard keyboard.  It also come with its own audio sounds as well.

Here is a demo video... you may not like the music but NEON VINES plays the board very well.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DqqeQSYTJQ  Listen particularly to her solo which starts about 2:40 into the video.

I'd like to have a Seaboard Rise 25 to play my VL synthesizer plug-in card.  I think it would produce more expressive articulations of virtual wind instruments when used in conjunction with the BC2 Breath Controller

Joe H

« Last Edit: February 15, 2022, 04:35:25 PM by Joe H »
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline Wim

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2022, 05:17:16 PM »
Widi Master has a range of BlueTooth adapters. Not only for Din adapters.

https://www.cme-pro.com/widi-master/

IN top click Widi and you find for every midi connection the right adapter.
rgds
Wim

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2022, 06:24:07 PM »
Thanks, everyone. I got it to work.

Instead of midi-ox on a PC, I am using Cubasis 3 on an iPad Pro. But it’s the same idea. The iPad Pro is the MIDI host and the Roli Rise and the Genos are clients.

The Bluetooth BT-01 is plugged into MIDI B on the Genos, which shows up as Port2 in MIDI Receive.

The one remaining mystery is that for some reason I can’t receive Ch1 on Port2 of the Genos. To be continued…

This is a great place. The amount of help I’ve gotten so far is just awesome. I wish I had gotten into these arranger keyboards sooner.

Offline overover

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2022, 09:41:37 PM »
Hi mtrigoboff,

In contrast to the Yamaha BT-MIDI adapters (MD/UD-BT01), certain "WIDI" adapters can obviously also be connected directly to a BT-MIDI device (without an additional host such as a computer or iPad in between). If the direct BT connection of the Roli with the Genos is still an issue for you, I recommend you to look around on the CME site and also on YouTube.
>>> https://www.cme-pro.com/widi-premium-bluetooth-midi/

Important: Not all BT-MIDI adapters use the same BT technology. To my knowledge, all current WIDI devices already use BT 5 (BLE 5), Yamaha MD/UD-BT01 still uses the older BT 4 (BLE 4) technology.

By the way, here is a nice comparison chart for all current WIDI devices:
>>> https://www.cme-pro.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/01/WIDI-Family-Comparison-Chart-2022.pdf

The update policy is also a point that should not be underestimated with such BT-MIDI devices: While my Yamaha MD-BT01 "thinks" after a failed update with a definitely faulty firmware version (with the corresponding iOS app) it is a "UD-BT01" and could not be brought to life so far, there is continuously updated firmware for "WIDI" devices, and I've never had a problem here. (I also own a "WIDI Master" BT-MIDI adapter.)

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: February 16, 2022, 01:51:40 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2022, 10:49:30 PM »
Joe,

If you want to acquire a Roli keyboard, they are apparently coming out with new versions in March.

See the Roli website for more information.

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2022, 10:52:20 PM »
Chris,

I seem to be on track to getting the Roli keyboard working as a MIDI controller for the Genos. I will keep WIDI in mind in case things stop working.

My one remaining mystery is that Sending MIDI to Port2 Ch1 does not work. All the other channels seem to work. If you have any clues about that I would be happy to hear them.

Offline Joe H

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2022, 12:33:43 AM »
Joe,

If you want to acquire a Roli keyboard, they are apparently coming out with new versions in March.

See the Roli website for more information.

m,

Thanks for the heads up

I haven't been able to find one lately.

Joe H
« Last Edit: February 16, 2022, 12:34:50 AM by Joe H »
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2022, 12:48:23 AM »
I figured out why Port2 Ch1 wasn’t working. It was set as the port for External Controller. Chris had mentioned I should turn that off, but it fell out of my brain temporarily. Once I turned it off, the channel worked just fine.