Author Topic: audio question  (Read 2458 times)

Offline sugarplumsss

audio question
« on: February 12, 2022, 06:46:24 PM »
The job I am fortunate to have, has a feature I have to work around.

The bandleader, requires the left and right outputs are routed to his PA.
He declined my use of a direct box.
I have decided to accept these conditions, in preference to unemployment.

This leaves me with headphone out.
I had been sending it to a single 10 inch powered cab.
He didn't insist, but I clearly sense he prefers I NOT use ANY monitor; no 10 inch monitor!

So I decided to try his suggestion of using over ear standard headphones. The t4 is sent to a single full size Bose system.

I seem to need the Master volume on t4 to be turned all the way, or nearly all the way up, other wise there is no point in using headphones. I cannot hear the headphones at mid volume sufficiently to justify their use.

My question is a bit general ( vague ?) but I simply want to know options for perhaps more control in the headphone mix.
I understand there are headphone mixers, which I know nothing about.
Any suggestions on how I might gain more control over what I am hearing in the phones?

eg  more volume without needing master volume on t4 turned all the way up.
EQ on the mix, etc.

Normally, the old me, would reject this much restriction, but I am trying to make due.

Given the restrictions, any suggestions would be appreciated. If a direct box is part of your suggestion, I might be able to talk him into this.

Thanks

I use T4 as a drum machine. Playing my own acmp and bass. MIDI songs are my latest interest. If anyone wishes to share knowledge on MIDI songs let me know.

Offline Toril S

Re: audio question
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2022, 07:32:33 PM »
I had the same problem.  Headphones not loud enough. If the Bose speaker is a line array system you will hear yourself playing if you position yourself so that you have the speaker system behind and a little to the left of you.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

The following users thanked this post: sugarplumsss

Offline sugarplumsss

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2022, 06:47:32 PM »
Normally your repositioning of Bose idea would work. But not in my circumstance.

Are some headphones louder than others?
It's specialized topic, headphones; but I thought I would ask.

Thanks for input.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2022, 06:54:34 PM by sugarplumsss »
I use T4 as a drum machine. Playing my own acmp and bass. MIDI songs are my latest interest. If anyone wishes to share knowledge on MIDI songs let me know.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2022, 07:59:34 PM »
There are headphones that are louder. Ask in stores that sell headphones.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

JollyJim

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2022, 10:45:55 PM »
Hi

There are plenty of headphone amplifiers around. Here's one for instance :-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Behringer-HA400-Microamp-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B000KIPT30/ref=asc_df_B000KIPT30?tag=bingshoppinga-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=80195686213160&hvnetw=o&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583795261957550&psc=1

Sorry the link is a shade long - it's just as easy to do a google search of 'headphone amplifier'.... good luck, JIm

Offline sugarplumsss

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2022, 05:07:49 PM »
Thank you
Question
I use the headphone out on t4
How does the amplifier become connected to the headphone out?

I am guessing the amp includes a cable that would plug into the t4 headphone out.
Is the t4 designed for that headphone amp?

Some cost under $20. I don't want an amp to in anyway degrade the sound quality. In other words, going directly out of headphone output, is my base level. I want the amplifier to, if anything improve the sound, never diminish it.
All of that to ask, is a $20 headphone amp, "a safe bet", in terms of sonic quality? Seems kind of cheap.

JollyJim

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2022, 06:35:01 PM »
Hiya Sugarplumsss (very interesting name.....how did it come about?)

I'm sorry to say that I'm not an expert and can't categorically answer your question correctly. But two points :-

....for myself, I'm always trying to connect things together, messing about, that may or may not be designed to work together, but, I've never really had any problems 'cos I do at least think that I have a modicum of common sense...I've not yet put mains current into a guitar pickup !!!!!

... I've had lots of Behringer bits and pieces, from guitar pedals up to a Bugera amp, which is their professional jobbie, all of which have been knockout, low price or not. The Bugera HA400 headphone amp has 4 stereo 1/4inch jack inputs, so, if my guessing is good enough, you'll need a stereo to stereo jack cable.

So, I'm sorry I'm not 'expert' enough to guide you and hope this might help just a bit.

Also, I'd like to take this opportunity of saying how much I have enjoyed your questions for such a long time. I never have an answer for you, I'm not technical enough even though I would like to be. I'm amazed at the knowledge of some the contributors, their willingness to give their time up and I have learnt quite a lot about my T4 from the responses to your questions.......so - thanks for your questions, thanks for the answers and keep 'em coming !!!

Very Best wishes - Jim