Author Topic: HD sizes, & speeds-SONG recording  (Read 3208 times)

Offline sugarplumsss

HD sizes, & speeds-SONG recording
« on: February 10, 2022, 05:58:10 PM »
Since I rely heavily on t4 for work.. I cannot compromise in anyway the T4.

Will using t4 for extensive midi recording.. slow down the regular functionality of t4 during live performance?  Is there a work around, that avoids negative ( slowing down, or otherwise hampering performance) effect on T4 due to "stressing" the HD?
I know my Macbook gets sluggish as the SSD gets closer to full.

Is there an option to remove current HD and use an additional HD for MIDI recording? Is switching HD's in this manner an impractical idea?

What is the standard size of HD, and is there a larger size?

A newbie question: Is a larger HD "slower" than the standard HD?

Is there a range of quality among the HD for Tyros? Or is there just a standard version from Yamaha?
Thank you much
I use T4 as a drum machine. Playing my own acmp and bass. MIDI songs are my latest interest. If anyone wishes to share knowledge on MIDI songs let me know.

Offline Fred Smith

Re: HD sizes, & speeds-SONG recording
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2022, 08:12:23 PM »
Since I rely heavily on t4 for work.. I cannot compromise in anyway the T4.

Will using t4 for extensive midi recording.. slow down the regular functionality of t4 during live performance?  Is there a work around, that avoids negative ( slowing down, or otherwise hampering performance) effect on T4 due to "stressing" the HD?
I know my Macbook gets sluggish as the SSD gets closer to full.

Is there an option to remove current HD and use an additional HD for MIDI recording? Is switching HD's in this manner an impractical idea?

What is the standard size of HD, and is there a larger size?

A newbie question: Is a larger HD "slower" than the standard HD?

Is there a range of quality among the HD for Tyros? Or is there just a standard version from Yamaha?
Thank you much

The answer is no. You could have thousands of midi files on the HD without impacting the disk's performance.

The key is the number of files in a folder. Keep that to less than 250, and you'll be fine.

If you're still concerned, then save your midi files to a USB stick. Then they won't impact the HD at all.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

The following users thanked this post: sugarplumsss

Offline sugarplumsss

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2022, 07:05:51 PM »
I use an older USB thumb drive.. I believe it is 2.0
When I call up a MIDI SONG  ( purchased from Yamaha Music Soft )
it feels like it takes 10-15 secs... that is a LONG time to wait on stage.

Would a more up to date, high tech Thumb drive be significantly quicker?

I saw one on Amaz for $59... advertised as fast.

I use T4 as a drum machine. Playing my own acmp and bass. MIDI songs are my latest interest. If anyone wishes to share knowledge on MIDI songs let me know.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2022, 07:45:00 PM »
Yes, but check the list of brands that are supported by Yamaha. Also notice that tf the stick has lots of folders with hundreds of files in them ths slows things down.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

JollyJim

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2022, 12:04:56 AM »
Hiya,

There are plenty of 1tb USB drives around, for example :-

Amazon are selling 'Seagate Backup Plus Slim 1 TB External Hard Drive Portable HDD' for less than Ģ60.

I've been using one for ages, it's really handy because it just sits there on the T4 except when I want to add/edit tracks on it which I do by 'USB-ing' to my laptop. In fact, it's so useful that I don't ever use the T4 HDD - it's totally empty. Plus, being able to just plug the external drive into my laptop, then backing up is a dream.

Hope this helps - regards, Jim

Offline Denn

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2022, 11:04:28 AM »
Hello Jim, This amazes me! When I got my T4 I queried Yamaha about USB's and was told that the biggest USB stick I could use was 32Gb. Are you really using 1Tb H/D plugged into the USB port? Regards, Denn.
Love knitting dolls

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2022, 05:19:59 PM »
I use an older USB thumb drive.. I believe it is 2.0
When I call up a MIDI SONG  ( purchased from Yamaha Music Soft )
it feels like it takes 10-15 secs... that is a LONG time to wait on stage.

Would a more up to date, high tech Thumb drive be significantly quicker?

I saw one on Amaz for $59... advertised as fast.

Your problem isn't the quality of the thumb drive. One is as good as another.

The problem is the number of files you have in the folder. Keep that under 250 and the retrieval time improves significantly.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2022, 06:33:41 PM »
Your problem isn't the quality of the thumb drive. One is as good as another.

The problem is the number of files you have in the folder. Keep that under 250 and the retrieval time improves significantly.

Cheers,
Fred

And, if your issue is speed of access, don't use thumb drives. Put what you want accessed quickly on the hard drive (faster), or the user drive (fastest).

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

JollyJim

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2022, 12:58:41 PM »
Hi Denn,

Sorry, just seen your posting from a couple of days back.

Yes, I've got two 1tb disks, one is a Seagate and can't remember the other, but they both just plug in either of the USB sockets. I generally use the rear one for tidiness and leave the cable in place when I remove the disk cos it's messy to try to find the socket again when you are leaning over the T4 from the front. Spare leads are only a few pounds/dollars. In fact, if memory serves, I'm sure I've had them both plugged in simultaneously at some time or the other.....(What is handy, is that, when 'experimenting' on the PC on a single or just a few files, download them to a memory stick and plug it into the front USB)

Fred is of course correct advising that the limit of files in a folder is under 250 but, I've found that it's a lot easier to arrange files/folders on the PC.

I have'nt touched T4/PC stuff for 6 months or so because of a house move and the turmoil that causes, but I had previously got to my 'aim' which was to keep a 'mirror image' of the Seagate on the PC and do all my editing thereon and then just dump the whole lot, in one, to the Seagate. As a good way of keeping backups, housekeeping etc etc under control, it's quite a good habit. Also, using some of the free software available on this website, it's quite powerful. I generally use my laptop, so, very often, you will find me sitting in front of the tv and messing with stuff, particularly Registrations which, in my opinion, is the way to go. It's also a very good way of keeping up with what MP3's, WAV's and MID's are on there, not to mention the ability on the PC/Laptop to print out some of the database using a spreadsheet/word processor as required.The main reason I went this way is that, I'm from an IT background and I just find it easier to 'picture' the folder/file location, file names, structures etc on the PC rather than the T4 which 'loses me' so very often. I know that the structure is, basically, the same, but it's just how things sit in my minds eye and are able to be portrayed on a reasonable size screen.

I hope this helps..... I'll get the model numbers of the drives and post them on here a bit later.

Best wishes - Jim

JollyJim

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2022, 12:32:01 AM »
Hi Den,

I forgot to add this in my previous one. Your comment :-

' I queried Yamaha about USB's and was told that the biggest USB stick I could use was 32Gb.'

......it's possible that the above is true. If you plug a drive into the USB, it will have to be formatted by the T4 before you can use it........maybe there's a difference between a formatted drive and a USB Stick?

Best wishes - Jim

Offline frankmusik

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2022, 09:26:26 AM »
one simple calculation.

100.000 Midisongs (big ones with 100kb!)  use 9.5GB
So a 32GB Stick is only good for ca 330.000 Songs ...

I thought the keyboards are instruments to play ..  :-)

YES with WAV Audios the songs are bigger .. but the 500GB (T5)  250/320GB (T4) fit also a lot of wav files...

If you use more than 50-60 files in a folder the bad "NEXT" Button is coming .. and it take clicks and clicks to select...  ( I had a customer to click only 27 buttons to select his song .... !!!!)

A clever structure can select a Song out of 1000 with only  3-4 clicks...

So donīt use the "collect" stick live .. it will slow down the keyboard and your life :-)  Use the "optimized" Stage Stick.

My opinion

greetings frank
Genos and Tyros /PSR Support in Germany - Europe with more than
280 keyboardscouts helping in D-AT-CH-NL at your home!
Monday 18:30 (6:30 pm german time) Live tips on youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBxOTmwqvDGu5QavFWeaQfQ