Author Topic: Follow the light function  (Read 1290 times)

Offline Toril S

Follow the light function
« on: February 07, 2022, 09:32:35 PM »
Hello friends!
I don't read music, so I usually listen to music on Spotify or YouTube and learn it by ear. But this is not so easy when it comes to piano pieces. I have heard that the E-models have a function where yoj play along with a MIDI, and the keyboard lights up to show you what key to press. Is this available on Genos or PSRs? I have watched som YT videos where a light indicates what keys to press, but it goes too fast for me and is difficult to see.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline overover

Re: Follow the light function
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2022, 10:39:25 PM »
Hello friends!
I don't read music, so I usually listen to music on Spotify or YouTube and learn it by ear. But this is not so easy when it comes to piano pieces. I have heard that the E-models have a function where yoj play along with a MIDI, and the keyboard lights up to show you what key to press. Is this available on Genos or PSRs? I have watched som YT videos where a light indicates what keys to press, but it goes too fast for me and is difficult to see.

Hi Toril,

Of course, Genos does not have built-in lamps on the keyboard, but there is (as with the PSR-S and SX models) the "Follow Lights" type in the "Guide" function.

Quote from page 73 in the Genos Reference Manual (V2.10):

Guide - Keyboard and Vocal Practice Using the Guide Function
Follow Lights: When this is selected, Song playback pauses, waiting for you to play the
notes correctly. When you play the correct notes, Song playback continues. Follow
Lights was developed for the Yamaha Clavinova series. This function is used for practicing
purposes, with built-in lamps on the keyboard indicating the notes to be played. Even
though Genos does not have these lamps, you can use the same function by following the
indications in the displayed notation with the Song Score function.

P.S.
You may have to assign the correct MIDI channels to the left/right-hand parts. (See page 74 in the Genos Reference Manual.)

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: February 07, 2022, 10:54:46 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline Toril S

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2022, 10:51:15 PM »
Thank you so much Chris!
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2022, 10:53:48 PM »
You're welcome, Toril! :)

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)