Author Topic: usb connectivity for computer  (Read 4501 times)

Offline sugarplumsss

usb connectivity for computer
« on: February 05, 2022, 08:01:27 PM »
I took my t4 to a guy familiar with technology, in the hope my t4 would be able to send MIDI to Logic Pro.
The tech person ( a good musician as well ) said the t4 did not have USB connectivity.

Does anyone know a work around?

I use mac and want to get Logic Pro

The hoped for signal path

t4 to computer to logic to record MIDI

Thank you
« Last Edit: February 05, 2022, 08:09:23 PM by sugarplumsss »
I use T4 as a drum machine. Playing my own acmp and bass. MIDI songs are my latest interest. If anyone wishes to share knowledge on MIDI songs let me know.

Offline MarkF_48

Re: usb connectivity for computer
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2022, 09:35:35 PM »
You could accomplish the MIDI connection to the computer with a USB interface that has 5 pin DIN MIDI connections. A budget USB interface that can do this would be the Behringer UMC204HD. There are others. I have a UMC404HD (more audio inputs) that works well for me.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UMC204HD--behringer-u-phoria-umc204hd-usb-audio-interface

The following users thanked this post: sugarplumsss

Offline Toril S

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2022, 10:47:06 PM »
Very good advice! I have the Scarlett Focusrite 2i2. That one has no MIDI connection, but you can get Focusrite with as many ports as you want.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline sugarplumsss

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2022, 11:05:37 PM »
I am pretty slow at understanding this computer tech

It just occurred to me; I should ask how some of you would approach this challenge

I want to randomly play keyboard, for purpose of creating something new.. aka compose music.

When I play this way I cannot recall accurately what I played; even 1 second afterwards.

I have asked this before
A few ways are

1.record into macbook via daw as midi  then score editor

2.use a sequencer

3 what about using the Tyros to record my random playing within itself?

The key to this approach, is being able to easily see the notes i played, in notation or score view.

Just today, it occurred to me, I might be able to see the recording on t4 as notation!

Using Tyros4 to record random playing ... what would be limitation, as far as length of time?
I imagine I would have to send this data on t4 to computer!

Any ideas , please share.
Thanks
« Last Edit: February 07, 2022, 11:10:27 PM by sugarplumsss »
I use T4 as a drum machine. Playing my own acmp and bass. MIDI songs are my latest interest. If anyone wishes to share knowledge on MIDI songs let me know.

Offline overover

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2022, 02:35:45 AM »
I took my t4 to a guy familiar with technology, in the hope my t4 would be able to send MIDI to Logic Pro.
The tech person ( a good musician as well ) said the t4 did not have USB connectivity.

Does anyone know a work around?

I use mac and want to get Logic Pro

The hoped for signal path

t4 to computer to logic to record MIDI

Thank you

Hi sugarplumsss,

This "tech person" is wrong: The T4 of course has USB-MIDI connectivity (like, for example, all Tyros models, Genos, PSR-S and SX models).

You just need a regular "USB 2.0 type AB" cable ("printer cable") to connect the T4's "USB-to-Host" terminal to the computer (the Mac in your case).

The latest Yamaha USB-MIDI driver should be installed on the computer (depending on the computer's operating system). Here are the available versions:
>>> https://uk.yamaha.com/en/support/updates/index.html?c=-&k=usb-midi

A suitable MIDI template must be activated on the T4: Press "FUNCTION > MIDI" and make sure that either "All Parts" or "KBD & STYLE" is activated.

The difference between these two MIDI templates is as follows:
- With "All Parts" the keyboard parts (Right 1-3 and Left) are sent on four separate MIDI channels and when the keyboard parts are switched OFF, nothing is transmitted via MIDI.
- With "KBD & STYLE" the area of ​​the right hand (above the Left split point is called the "Upper" part and is transmitted on MIDI channel 1. The area below the Left split point is called the "Lower" part and is transmitted on channel 2. Note: Keyboard data is also transmitted here when the keyboard parts (Right 1-3, Left) are switched OFF.

In the DAW (e.g. Logic Pro) set "Digital Workstation-1" as the MIDI output Port for all MIDI tracks. This controls the SONG parts 1 - 16 of the T4, i.e. "Port 1 (= MIDI A) / RECEIVE". This is the normal case.

Set the MIDI input Port to "Digital Workstation" in the DAW. This corresponds to "Port 1 (= MIDI A) / TRANSMIT".

By the way, over USB-MIDI there is only this one TRANSMIT Port (i.e. "Port 2 (= MIDI B) / TRANSMIT" cannot be sent over USB).

If you would set "Digital Workstation-2", the "Port 2 (= MIDI B) / RECEIVE" would be controlled. In connection with one of the MIDI templates mentioned above, the keyboard parts and the style parts of the T4 would then be controlled directly by the computer or their settings would be changed. Normally this is NOT desired. Therefore please ONLY use "Digital Workstation-1" as described above.

Important: In order to avoid so-called MIDI loops, EITHER the "MIDI THRU" function in the DAW must be switched OFF, OR on the T4 the "LOCAL CONTROL" parameter must be set to OFF in the MIDI Setup (FUNCTION > MIDI > EDIT). (The latter setting internally separates the T4 MIDI keyboard from the T4 MIDI sound generation.)

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris

« Last Edit: February 08, 2022, 02:51:30 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Online Fred Smith

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2022, 02:44:43 AM »
I am pretty slow at understanding this computer tech

It just occurred to me; I should ask how some of you would approach this challenge

I want to randomly play keyboard, for purpose of creating something new.. aka compose music.

When I play this way I cannot recall accurately what I played; even 1 second afterwards.

I have asked this before
A few ways are

1.record into macbook via daw as midi  then score editor

2.use a sequencer

3 what about using the Tyros to record my random playing within itself?

The key to this approach, is being able to easily see the notes i played, in notation or score view.

Just today, it occurred to me, I might be able to see the recording on t4 as notation!

Using Tyros4 to record random playing ... what would be limitation, as far as length of time?
I imagine I would have to send this data on t4 to computer!

Any ideas , please share.
Thanks

I would just record a midi on the keyboard. It will do everything you're asking for.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline sugarplumsss

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2022, 07:24:12 AM »
"on the keyboard"?
How is that done?

thanks

Offline overover

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2022, 09:51:18 AM »
I would just record a midi on the keyboard. It will do everything you're asking for. ...

"on the keyboard"?
How is that done?

thanks

Hi sugarplumsss,

a "MIDI file" is called "Song" or "MIDI Song" in Yamaha jargon. Please first read the chapter "Creating a Song (Quick Recording)" in the Tyros4 Owner's Manual, from page 55. This is the easiest method to quickly create a MIDI Song.

P.S.
Have you already read my previous post? There I answered your original question from your first post in this thread in detail (USB-MIDI connection of the Tyros4 with a MIDI sequencer / DAW like Logic Pro on a computer). :)

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline sugarplumsss

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2022, 01:38:24 PM »
P.S.
Have you already read my previous post? There I answered your original question from your first post in this thread in detail (USB-MIDI connection of the Tyros4 with a MIDI sequencer / DAW like Logic Pro on a computer). :)

Best regards,
Chris
[/quote]

You are referring to the 4th reply in this thread? Thank you very much for correcting the person ( "expert" ) recommended to me.
The Tyros CAN be used to send MIDI to DAW.
OT but, it blows my mind how this person could have considerable ability and yet not understand the capability of the T4.

Online Fred Smith

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2022, 04:50:51 PM »
"on the keyboard"?
How is that done?

Page 55 of your manual. The song REC button on your keyboard is your first clue.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline Toril S

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2022, 08:38:55 PM »
Hello Sugarplumsss :)
You mentioned making MIDIS using a DAW, and you got great answers from friends here.
Just like to add that the T4 has an excellent sequencer, so you can make MiDIS directly on the keyboard and edit them afterwards if desired.
I like to compose simple easy listening music, and for this the Yamaha keyboards are great!
Here is what I do:
1. I hear a melody in my head, run to my keyboard and find a style for it.
2. I set up the keyboard with desired style and voices.
3. I make a quick MIDI recording, this recording is just me fiddling around , improvising.
4. I save the MIDI. Now I don't forget my idea. I let it rest for a while, then come back.
    I develop the melody further, learn it properly and then record it again when happy.
5. I record a WAV version on it on the keyboard, and take that version to my computer, where I
    normalize it in Audacity. Done! I am a simple person, no editing. But you can do that.
I would love to hear one of your compositions!!
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline sugarplumsss

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2022, 09:30:17 PM »
Thanks Toril and Chris
As a multi instrumentalist... one would think I would have composed by now... alas, I have not.

I know much more about music than about all these new fangled computers, daws, plug-ins, dongles usb, and on and on!!
But my guess is, the ( size) capacity of, what?, the HD in the T4, is center stage, as far as composing? I am not thinking in terms of song form, but rather just let the HD record as I make stuff up on the fly; potentially for several minutes.
Is there a certain size of HD, that is maximum for the t4?  I assume that size is not the default size HD.

I have done this extemporaneous playing many times, but never while recording it.

To that end, what part of the t4 might I,, so to speak, "max out" on the Tyros, to aid in creating onboard MIDI songs?.

If just recording a keyboard sound , how much time could I potentially record, before I "ran out of tape" HD space? 

And this question leads to this question: dumping the random recording into what? An external HD, or the SSD in Mac?

Online Fred Smith

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2022, 09:48:28 PM »
Thanks Toril and Chris
As a multi instrumentalist... one would think I would have composed by now... alas, I have not.

I know much more about music than about all these new fangled computers, daws, plug-ins, dongles usb, and on and on!!
But my guess is, the ( size) capacity of, what?, the HD in the T4, is center stage, as far as composing? I am not thinking in terms of song form, but rather just let the HD record as I make stuff up on the fly; potentially for several minutes.
Is there a certain size of HD, that is maximum for the t4?  I assume that size is not the default size HD.

I have done this extemporaneous playing many times, but never while recording it.

To that end, what part of the t4 might I,, so to speak, "max out" on the Tyros, to aid in creating onboard MIDI songs?.

If just recording a keyboard sound , how much time could I potentially record, before I "ran out of tape" HD space? 

And this question leads to this question: dumping the random recording into what? An external HD, or the SSD in Mac?

Wow. Talk about analysis paralysis. Why don't you do what everyone else does -- record your playing and see how it goes. If you ever "max out", stop recording, and start a new one.

To answer your last question, when you stop recording, you save the file wherever you want.

Cheers,
Fred
« Last Edit: February 08, 2022, 10:15:30 PM by Fred Smith »
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline Toril S

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2022, 09:59:41 PM »
I believe an audio recording can only by 80 minutes long, MIDI I don't know. Just try it, and see how long it records before it stops. That would be interesting to know.
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline sugarplumsss

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2022, 05:13:11 PM »
Tori... wow. 80 min of audio is a lot. MIDI must be much greater.

Question about ny gear. I have an old Macbook.

It seems to my uneducated self, that the t4 after recording will have to frequently be "emptied" ( or is it "dumped" !) onto a computer HD, or an external HD.

Re transferring song data: Does the Mac present extra steps, or problems; given the t4 is PC based?
Thank you for these insights

Online Fred Smith

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2022, 06:03:00 PM »
Tori... wow. 80 min of audio is a lot. MIDI must be much greater.

Question about ny gear. I have an old Macbook.

It seems to my uneducated self, that the t4 after recording will have to frequently be "emptied" ( or is it "dumped" !) onto a computer HD, or an external HD.

Re transferring song data: Does the Mac present extra steps, or problems; given the t4 is PC based?

MIDI files are small. The T4 hard drive is sufficiently large, it can hold all your midi files. You would never have to delete any, although you most likely will want to, but it will be your choice.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline sugarplumsss

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2022, 06:46:01 PM »
Fred Toril Chris
The reason I thought of using a computer ( MBP with Logic Pro) was partly my ignorance, and partly
Logic Pro has a score editor

Imagine rambling along on keyboard for 10 15 or more minutes. you then stop and wish to SEARCH SCROLL for a particular spot among all those many minutes of playing.

I thought the Logic Pro Score Editor would make searchingscrolling  for musical ideas, much easier  versus huge strings of piano rolls or MIDI event streams.

But a few days ago, I found that T4 can do the MIDI.
Then I found that it has a Notation functionality ( editor or view or whatever yamaha labels it )

In the above creative scenario I mention above... How would the T4 Notation view or whatever it is called , function, in terms of ease of searching/ scrolling for data of interest?

Would you estimate that Logic pro score editor would make that search easier than t4?
Thanks for your interest.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2022, 04:30:41 PM by sugarplumsss »

Online Fred Smith

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2022, 07:01:43 PM »
Fred Toril Chris
The reason I thought of using a computer ( MBP with Logic Pro) was partly my ignorance, and partly
Logic Pro has a score editor

Imagine rambling along on keyboard for 10 15 or more minutes. you then stop and wish to SEARCH for a particular spot among all those many minutes of playing.

I thought the Logic Pro Score Editor would make searching for preferred musical ideas, much easier  versus huge strings of piano rolls or MIDI event streams.

But a few days ago, I found that T4 can do the MIDI.
Then I found that it has a Notation functionality ( editor or view or whatever yamaha labels it )

In the above creative scenario I mention above... How would the T4 Notation view or whatever it is called , function, in terms of ease of searching/ scrolling for data of interest?

Would you estimate that Logic pro score editor would make that searching easier than t4?
Thanks for your interest.

Neither would be good at searching. What would you tell it to search for?

Best to just listen to your recording, and pick out the parts you want.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline sugarplumsss

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2022, 07:57:42 PM »
Fred
Search, was the wrong term
Scroll is closer