Author Topic: Best Audio Interface For DAW?  (Read 2129 times)

Offline Michael Trigoboff

Best Audio Interface For DAW?
« on: February 05, 2022, 07:29:12 AM »
New Genos owner here, 2 days. I have a Montage 7, but Genos looks like it’s going to be more fun, less deep tech dives.

I want to use my Genos with Cubase. I gather that I will need an audio interface to take advantage of the Genos’ DIGITAL OUT port.

So far, I am looking at a FocusRite Scarlett 8i6 3rd Generation. Is that the best choice? What alternatives might there be?

Thanks…
retired software developer and Computer Science instructor
Grateful Deadhead emeritus

"He had decided to live forever or die in the attempt."
-- Joseph Heller, Catch-22

Offline ton37

Re: Best Audio Interface For DAW?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2022, 09:37:14 AM »
Hi, my 2 cent: Maybe you could have a look at Steinberg's (=Yamaha/=Cubase) UR- series. I use the UR22mkII with Cubase and a SX900. It works well, no latency etc. The UR22c could be a good choice?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2022, 10:14:22 AM by ton37 »
My best regards,
Ton

The following users thanked this post: Michael Trigoboff

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2022, 10:42:31 AM »
Focusrite 4th Gen 6i6
This has midi  in/outs and outputs,
Good price as well for the quality that you get
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline Drsun19

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2022, 06:21:55 PM »
I have a Montage 7 and a Genos as well...What i do is plug the audio outputs from Genos to the Audio In in Montage, the Montage has a good USB audio interface that does the trick. I plug the USB from Genos to the computer and i can record midi and at the same time i can record audio directly from the Montage instead of buying an interface...The audio is really good asa well!

Luis.
Genos, Montage 7, Alesis Vortex Wireless 2, IMac 32Gb RAM, Lenovo Legion i7, Yamaha DXR 12, Cubase 10.5, Sample Robot, Style Magic YA, Keyscape, Omnisphere.

Offline Dnj

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2022, 06:36:25 PM »
I use PRESONUS Studio 24c with MIXCRAFT 9 Pro Studio DAW...

Offline Michael Trigoboff

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2022, 06:51:51 PM »
Thanks, everyone.

It's probably my obsessive nature, but I really want to use the DIGITAL OUT jack on my Genos, so I need an interface that supports SPDIF input.
retired software developer and Computer Science instructor
Grateful Deadhead emeritus

"He had decided to live forever or die in the attempt."
-- Joseph Heller, Catch-22

Offline MarkF_48

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2022, 08:08:42 PM »
A used Tascam US-144mkII won't cost a lot and has SPDIF. I have one and have used it with a WIN10 laptop.
https://tascam.com/us/product/us-144mkii/spec

Screenshot of driver showing set for SPDIF input

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline svpworld

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2022, 05:36:36 PM »
I use the Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 v3 with my Genos and Yamaha HS7 speakers. It sounds fantastic, coming from an older Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP the definition, sound stage and overall quality of the Scarlett is very noticeable. I'm using it with a Mac via USB-C and also have my Yamaha analog mixer and a Audio Technica AT2035 mic with it.  Software wise though I'm using Logic Pro X.  I did a lot of research and decided bang for buck the Scarlett 8i6 latest model was the best available in terms of reputation, quality, flexibility with it's combination of SPDIF, Optical and Analog inputs, 2 headphone sockets, the AIR option on mics and lots of free plugins and goodies included.

Simon

The following users thanked this post: motifes