Author Topic: YEM "quick installation file" feature  (Read 3080 times)

Offline Simone1972

YEM "quick installation file" feature
« on: January 09, 2022, 11:43:38 AM »
Dear all,
I've probably missed something, but I've realized that the YEM software allows (from the version 2.7.0 onwards) a so called "Quick Installation" file.
Is there any more detailed guideline/description of this feature somewhere? Does this mean that an additional piece of expansion memory can be just added to the existing content? What if there is no room for that?

Regards

Offline EileenL

Re: YEM "quick installation file" feature
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2022, 12:33:05 PM »
The quick load is used if you have already imported a pack with your favourites in it and you then get a new pack and add to the YEM you can then choose to load just that new pack by using  the CQI option into your keyboard. If you have not got space then you would need to remove something you really don't use to make space.

Offline Brianmcmillan

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2022, 12:59:44 PM »
This subject touches a question I am concerned about.
I have loaded some packs into my tyros 5 expansion area, and use some of these sounds in registrations which are saved.  My question is, if I wish to add a further pack to the existing ones, do I have to include the packs into YEM in exactly the same order as I used last time, adding the new one at the end?  I am concerned that if I don't, the sounds in expansion memory will not be retrieved correctly.

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2022, 02:34:50 PM »
This subject touches a question I am concerned about.
I have loaded some packs into my tyros 5 expansion area, and use some of these sounds in registrations which are saved.  My question is, if I wish to add a further pack to the existing ones, do I have to include the packs into YEM in exactly the same order as I used last time, adding the new one at the end?  I am concerned that if I don't, the sounds in expansion memory will not be retrieved correctly.

Hi Brian,

Normally, the Packs already installed on the keyboard also remain in the YEM. If a new Pack is added, you also import it into the YEM. It is important that when creating the Pack Installation file (.cpi/.ppi) ALL Packs are selected (green tick) that you want to have on the keyboard.

It is important that the LSB numbers of the previously installed Packs are not changed during a new installation. In this context, I strongly recommend documenting the LSB assignment for each Pack Installation. The easiest way to do this is to open the "My Packs > Change Bank Select LSB" window and take a screenshot of it.

By the way, there is NO "Quick Install" feature on the Tyros5 when using the USB stick method for Pack Installation. The Expansion Memory is ALWAYS reformatted here and EVERYTHING is reinstalled when a Pack is added. However, you can also work with the Wi-Fi method (using the Yamaha USB Wi-Fi adapter "UD-WL01"). When you click on the "Send to Instrument" button, only the new Pack is additionally installed and/or Packs that are no longer selected in the YEM are deleted from the keyboard. However, if "too much" has changed, the Expansion Memory may still be reformatted (and EVERYTHING will be reinstalled).

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: February 21, 2022, 02:39:52 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline Brianmcmillan

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2022, 11:23:39 PM »
Thank you for your reply.  I have done as you suggested, but I'm not sure I understand how  to change the Bank Select LSB anyway.
My YEM currently shows all my packs (coincidently perhaps in alphabetic order by name), although they are shown in the "change bank select LSB" in a different order.
 A simpler question might be,  if I use my existing YEM data and then import a new pack, will this automatically result in a new cpi file that retains the position of my current voices in expansion memory.
I'm fast learning how little I know!

Offline overover

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2022, 04:09:01 AM »
Thank you for your reply.  I have done as you suggested, but I'm not sure I understand how  to change the Bank Select LSB anyway.
My YEM currently shows all my packs (coincidently perhaps in alphabetic order by name), although they are shown in the "change bank select LSB" in a different order.
 A simpler question might be,  if I use my existing YEM data and then import a new pack, will this automatically result in a new cpi file that retains the position of my current voices in expansion memory.
I'm fast learning how little I know!

Hi Brian,

In "My Packs" the Packs are always displayed in alphabetical order. So it's NOT about THIS order.

Automatic assignment of the LSB numbers:

When importing a Pack into YEM, this Pack always automatically gets the lowest free LSB number. Assuming the YEM was still empty, then the first imported Pack gets LSB=000, the second Pack LSB=001, the third Pack LSB=002, etc. (So THIS is the order in the "Change Bank Select LSB" window.)

Suppose you would now delete the second Pack (i.e. LSB=001) from the YEM for some reason. Then the next imported Pack would get this vacated LSB 001. If you now decide to reinstall the previously deleted Pack, it would no longer get the original LSB, but the next free LSB, i.e. 003. Therefore, it is generally not recommended to delete Packs from the YEM that you might want to reinstall later.

As already mentioned, the most important thing is to document the LSB assignment with which the Packs were originally installed on the keyboard. So always create a screenshot of the "Change Bank Select LSB" window and save this image file with the current date in the file name on the computer (and preferably also on an external drive, e.g. USB stick).

Normally it is not necessary to change the LSB numbers of the Packs in the YEM manually. In your case it should work as is. So simply import the desired new Packs into YEM, document all LSBs with a screenshot, select all Packs that you want to have on the Tyros5 (after clicking on your "Install Target"), create a new Pack Install file on the USB stick and install it on the Genos.

If you have the Yamaha USB Wi-Fi adapter "UD-WL01", you can also perform the Pack installation via Wi-Fi, as mentioned. (To do this, the Tyros5 must be connected to your local Wi-Fi router in "Infrastructure Mode", i.e. it must be on the same network as your computer.)

For the sake of completeness, I also mention the procedure for manually changing the LSB numbers:

Important: You can only change the LSB of the Pack currently selected in "My Packs". Note: If you "accidentally" click a not protected Pack a second time, the "Pack Property" window will open. Then simply click the "Cancel" button to close this window.

Now open the "Change Bank Select LSB" window. Here you can see that all the Pack names have a gray background, except for the Pack you clicked on earlier under "My Packs". You can now drag THIS Pack to any other free LSB by holding down the left mouse button.

Now click the "X" icon to close the window. A security query appears. If you want to save the changed LSB assign, click "Save". To NOT save the changes click "Discard".

To change the LSB of another Pack, click it now and proceed exactly as described above.

P.S.
There are two basic types of Custom Voices:

Type 1
Custom Voices originally created in YEM: These Voices directly use the LSB assigned in YEM. If they were installed with a different LSB in a later installation, registrations or styles/MIDI files that already use these Voices would no longer work because the Voices would not be found.

The Voices to which this applies can be identified by MSB 063 (for Custom Normal Voices) or MSB 062 (for Custom Drum Voices). You can see these numbers when you open the "Edit Program Change" window for a non-protected Pack. (You can then switch between "063 Normal Voice" and "062 Drum Voice" at "Bank Select MSB" in the top left.)

Alternatively, you can see these numbers in the Tyros5's Voice Selection display (but only if the "VOICE NUMBER" parameter is set to "SHOW" in "Function > Utility > Config2").

Type 2
Custom voices in YAMAHA Packs usually have FIXED voice addresses that are outside of the actual Custom Voice address range (MSB 063 or 062). These Voices are then NOT affected by any changes in the "Change Bank Select LSB" window! However, there are sometimes individual Voices in Yamaha Packs that still use MSB 063 or 062. In principle, this is documented in the respective PDF Pack List. But unfortunately these lists are not (anymore) available for all Yamaha Packs.

I therefore recommend, as a precaution, NOT to move any Packs to another LSB, at least not if Voices from these Packs have already been used in your own Registrations or for revoicing Styles/MIDI files.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

Offline Brianmcmillan

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2022, 08:22:30 AM »
Hi Chris
Thank you so much for your full explanation.  I now feel much more confident working with Expansion memory, and it's proved the worth of logging into PSR Tutorial.
Regards
Brian

Offline overover

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2022, 08:37:21 AM »
Your're welcome, Brian!

I am very happy that my tips helped you! :)

I hope you continue to have fun and enjoy using Yamaha keyboards.

All the best from Germany,
Chris