Author Topic: Considering swapping the Tyros HD for an SSD, It is worth it?  (Read 2652 times)

Offline gabrielschuck

Considering swapping the Tyros HD for an SSD, It is worth it?
« on: January 29, 2022, 03:54:27 AM »
Hi guys,
I read right here in the forum and in other places that it is possible to replace the tyros HD with an SSD. Would that make me able to install larger packs faster?
I suppose that during the installation of a pack, the file is copied from the flash drive to the HD and this takes a long time depending on the size and number of packs included. So, probably an extraction takes place so that the waves can be added to memory.
Is this really so?
I've also noticed that transfers to or from the hd using the computer via USB are also slow.

Would an SSD make any difference to this?
Is it easy to put on the keyboard?

Greetings,
Gabriel
-------------------------------

keyboardist, arranger, composer and music producer

"Life is like music. It must be composed by ear, with sensitivity and intuition, never by rigid rules."

Offline Toril S

Re: Considering swapping the Tyros HD for an SSD, It is worth it?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2022, 09:49:32 AM »
It would make no difference because the Tyros OS would have to be changed, and that is not possible.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

The following users thanked this post: gabrielschuck

Offline DerekA

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2022, 03:21:57 PM »
The largest art of a pack install is the new wave samples. They are stored on the flash expansion board. Changing the hd to ssd would have no effect at all on that.
Genos

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2022, 04:02:35 PM »
Hi Gabriel,

The Tyros5's hard disk is connected internally via USB. This slows down the (SATA) hard disk. Replacing it with an SSD will bring almost no speed advantage directly on the T5. The only real benefit of installing one is therefore its insensitivity to mechanical shock.

If you remove the T5 hard drive (it's very quick) and connect it directly to the computer via USB, the data transfer is faster than in USB Storage Mode. Of course, an SSD would be even faster here.

Note that the T5 operating system is not designed for SSDs. There are therefore no automatic maintenance functions such as in current PC operating systems (keyword "TRIM" command). This can greatly shorten the lifetime of an SSD.

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline gabrielschuck

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2022, 04:58:27 PM »
Thanks Toril, Chris and all,
I really thought it had something to do with the HD that Tyros5 uses, as on other keyboards formatting and installation is much faster. It may be that in addition to the operating system, the fact that the expansion memory is internal also influences this, correct?
Greetings,
Gabriel
-------------------------------

keyboardist, arranger, composer and music producer

"Life is like music. It must be composed by ear, with sensitivity and intuition, never by rigid rules."

Offline overover

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2022, 05:39:41 PM »
Thanks Toril, Chris and all,
I really thought it had something to do with the HD that Tyros5 uses, as on other keyboards formatting and installation is much faster. It may be that in addition to the operating system, the fact that the expansion memory is internal also influences this, correct?
Greetings,
Gabriel

Hi Gabriel,

The Expansion Wave memory is implemented on the Tyros5 with an optional memory board. I suspect that this memory type simply cannot be written faster (otherwise there would probably have been a Firmware update for this long ago.)

With newer models (where the Expansion memory is permanently soldered to the mainboard) slightly different memory chips are used, which can probably be written to more quickly. (In some cases, the speed was also increased here by Firmware updates.)

One way to "speed up" the Pack installation on Tyros5 would be to install the Packs over WiFi only (using the Yamaha USB WiFi adapter "UD-WL01"). In this way one can avoid that the Expansion memory is reformatted with every change (but only if "a lot" of Expansion content has changed).

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: January 29, 2022, 05:48:24 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)