Author Topic: Soundfonts on the T5  (Read 2945 times)

furry 1281

Soundfonts on the T5
« on: January 28, 2022, 12:24:48 PM »
Hi folks is there a way to use soundfonts with the T5 or do I have to midi up to the pc and use reason 10 ?

Offline overover

Re: Soundfonts on the T5
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2022, 12:50:00 PM »
Hi furry 1281,

You can use soundfonts (.sf2 format) in connection with the Yamaha Expansion Manager (YEM):

Either you import a .sf2 file with "My Packs > Import Pack" (this creates a new Pack with the voices of the .sf2 file), or you first create a new, empty Pack ("My Packs > Create Pack") or use an existing (not protected) Pack and import the .sf2 file with "Import Content".

Note: There is not 100% compatibility for all .sf2 files. You may have to rework the Voices in question in the YEM. (Double-click on a Voice in YEM opens the Voice Editor.)

Of course, the new pack in question must finally be installed on the instrument (in your case on the Tyros5) as usual. It should be noted that when using the "USB stick method" with the Tyros5, the expansion memory is always reformatted, i.e. all previous expansion contents are DELETED. You can only avoid this if you use the "WiFi method" for the Pack Installation (in connection with the USB WiFi adapter "UD-WL01"). However, it can happen from time to time that the Expansion memory is formatted anyway...

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

furry 1281

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2022, 01:04:19 PM »
Thanks Chris, I don't have an expansion board, so I'll just midi up to the PC and use Reason 😊

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2022, 01:10:02 PM »
Thank you for the quick feedback, furry!

Yes, of course, the Tyros5 must have an Expansion Memory Module installed in order to be able to install Expansion Packs. ;)

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

furry 1281

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2022, 02:23:54 PM »
I can live without an expansion pack, need a longer midi cable though 😅

Offline gabrielschuck

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2022, 03:58:59 AM »
Taking advantage of the topic...
Does anyone know the list of sf2 opcodes supported by YEM?
Greetings,
Gabriel
-------------------------------

keyboardist, arranger, composer and music producer

"Life is like music. It must be composed by ear, with sensitivity and intuition, never by rigid rules."