Author Topic: voices  (Read 6121 times)

Offline Paula

voices
« on: January 27, 2022, 09:05:46 PM »
I just cant seem to get a good guitar or trumpet sound on the Genos , I hear so many good ones , is there a way to get them for a good country slide or trumpet I am not good at using the  voice editing feature   :)for some of the simple lead I play
             Paula :)
You Tube
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1xEYzY5g_0Nd5G9TkMY6mA/videos
Genos 1,Tyros 4 and Bose S1 Pro, Bose L1 Mod 2 w/tonematch
PSR S970

Offline Graham UK

Re: voices
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2022, 09:29:01 PM »
You can download these VCE's from this Forum.
VCE are voices that have been edited and you can play them direct from USB.
Press any voice on your keyboard then go to your USB and select a VCE.
You may find a voice that you are interested in using.

https://psrtutorial.com/sty/OF/VMB.html
DGX670

The following users thanked this post: Jacob, vaazoo350, Ray Eyden, Duffy

Offline overover

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2022, 09:31:31 PM »
Hi Paula,

Actually almost all Genos guitar or trumpet preset voices (for example) are quite good. Could it be that you changed the overall Genos sound quite a bit (e.g. with the Master EQ)? Some users make the mistake of boosting bass and/or treble in the Master EQ and then wonder why natural sounds such as wind instruments or piano sound rather "thin", "sharp" or "weak" (because the MID frequencies, which are important for these sounds then missing in the overall sound).

P.S.
OTS voices often sound better than the preset voices of the same name because the OTS voices have already been edited in Voice Edit and/or in the Mixer. So it's worth listening to all the OTS of the preset styles and saving voice combinations that you like in Registrations or saving particularly good individual Voices from OTS as User voices (in Voice Edit).

Best Regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively

Offline Paula

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2022, 09:58:46 PM »
Hi Paula,

Actually almost all Genos guitar or trumpet preset voices (for example) are quite good. Could it be that you changed the overall Genos sound quite a bit (e.g. with the Master EQ)? Some users make the mistake of boosting bass and/or treble in the Master EQ and then wonder why natural sounds such as wind instruments or piano sound rather "thin", "sharp" or "weak" (because the MID frequencies, which are important for these sounds then missing in the overall sound).

P.S.
OTS voices often sound better than the preset voices of the same name because the OTS voices have already been edited in Voice Edit and/or in the Mixer. So it's worth listening to all the OTS of the preset styles and saving voice combinations that you like in Registrations or saving particularly good individual Voices from OTS as User voices (in Voice Edit).

Best Regards,
Chris

Hi Chris .... not sure on the Master E Q over all the key board sounds great I have saved a couple in user I am not real happy with them .... I need to work on this .... thank you  Paula
You Tube
PSR S970

Offline Paula

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2022, 10:04:42 PM »
You can download these VCE's from this Forum.
VCE are voices that have been edited and you can play them direct from USB.
Press any voice on your keyboard then go to your USB and select a VCE.
You may find a voice that you are interested in using.

https://psrtutorial.com/sty/OF/VMB.html

Hi Graham ...thank you I will look at down loading these voices... I think it would be to choose some I like a copy them to a user bank on the Key board ? or would it take to much user space on the Key Board ?
    Paula  :)

You Tube
PSR S970

Offline overover

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2022, 10:28:41 PM »
Hi Paula,

.vce files (also called "User voice" or "voice set" files) are very small, usually less than 1 KB (kilobyte). So you can copy them to the Genos User drive at any time if needed (using the copy function in the Voice Selection display).

Note: User voice files can have many different file extensions. I recently made this list (that can be found on several websites meanwhile ;) ):

.vce  .VCE  =  Regular
.liv  .LIV  =  Live!
.clv  .CLV  =  Cool!
.swv  .SWV  =  Sweet!
.nlv  .NLV  =  S.Art! (Tyros5)
.sar  .SAR  =  S.Art!
.sa2  .SA2  =  S.Art2!

.mgv  .MGV  =  MegaVoice
.org  .ORG  =  Organ Flutes

.drm  .DRM  =  Drums
.ldr  .LDR  =  Live!Drums
.sfx  .SFX  =  SFX
.lsf  .LSF  =  Live!SFX

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: January 27, 2022, 10:35:24 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

Offline mikf

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2022, 10:30:52 PM »
Paula
Dont overlook how much playing technique matters to the perception of the sound. Its quite important to play trumpet like a trumpet player not a keyboard player. We used to have these discussions on the forum all the time about demos sounding better than the presets.  But most investigations showed there was no technical difference in the voice. But the demos were expertly played.
Mike
« Last Edit: January 28, 2022, 12:06:24 AM by mikf »

Offline Paula

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2022, 12:33:50 AM »
Thanks Mike
 I am working on it, realizing that SA2  is different then just Art, also I checked out the Master and I have  two masters saved one I use for the Bose L1 mod 2 and I also have a set up for the smaller Bose S1 I had the wrong master on,  I checked it out after Chris asked if I changed settings and I did (thank you Chris) it seems to be getting better , thank you fellas your all so helpful
      Cheers
      Paula
You Tube
PSR S970

Offline Misu

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2022, 06:57:28 AM »
Hi Paula,

I will make these days a guitar and a trumpet voice for your S970.
The choice for trumpet is clear, but about country slide I'm not sure yet what kind of... I have something in mind but I'm nor sure
If you want custom PPF file let me on PM your e-mail.
Regards!
PSR SX-900; PA 1000; AKX 10

Offline Paula

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2022, 12:11:06 PM »
Hi Paula,

I will make these days a guitar and a trumpet voice for your S970.
The choice for trumpet is clear, but about country slide I'm not sure yet what kind of... I have something in mind but I'm nor sure
If you want custom PPF file let me on PM your e-mail.
Regards!

Hi Misu
  How very nice of you to offer this , I am trying to get my Genos voices to sound a good Trumpet as well as a nice guitar for country music , thank you for the kind offer maybe you can do that for the Genos
                :) :) :)Paula
You Tube
PSR S970

Offline Misu

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2022, 03:07:37 PM »
PSR SX-900; PA 1000; AKX 10

The following users thanked this post: motifes, juketsu, overover, LarsMoss, Roshure

Offline Paula

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2022, 03:26:58 PM »
Hi,

No time to do better, try this as it is.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mHsMwoHYK30z0FV2AYeb4xeF0xRItrej/view?usp=sharing
Regards!
thank you will try this [/b]
   Paula :)
You Tube
PSR S970

Offline LaHawk

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2022, 05:42:35 PM »
PPF File for voices?
Larry   PSR-SX900
 My You Tube Recordings

Offline overover

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2022, 05:53:08 PM »
PPF File for voices?

Yes, new voices created in YEM can only be exported as .ppf (unprotected) or .cpf (protected) Pack files.

Best regards,
Chris

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2022, 05:58:53 PM »
Paula,

If you hear a guitar or trumpet sound someone is using here at the forum, just ask if they would share with you that style to get the OTS.

Regards
Drake

Offline LaHawk

« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2022, 06:09:21 PM »
Thanks Chris. I've learned something new today  ;D

So the only way to get this PFF voice on the keyboard is to import into YEM, save, and then load (along with all other packs) into the keyboard?
I assume after doing all that, the PFF file will then be available in the keyboard voice selection?
Would it not be a lot easier to just create a .vce or similar file ?  Not sure of the advantage of a PFF voice file
Larry   PSR-SX900
 My You Tube Recordings

Offline overover

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2022, 06:42:12 PM »
Thanks Chris. I've learned something new today  ;D

So the only way to get this PFF voice on the keyboard is to import into YEM, save, and then load (along with all other packs) into the keyboard?
I assume after doing all that, the PFF file will then be available in the keyboard voice selection?
Would it not be a lot easier to just create a .vce or similar file ?  Not sure of the advantage of a PFF voice file

Hi Larry,

you can import a .ppf Pack file into the YEM using "My Packs > Import Pack", or ceate a new, empty Pack (or use an existing, unprotected Pack) and select "Import Content" inside this Pack.

Then double-click on the desired Voice to open the Voice Editor. Make sure that your PC speakers are selected for the YEM Sound output. Then you can play the voice using the virtual keyboard.

To close the  Voice Editor window click "Back". I you should have accidentally changed something, be sure NOT to click "Save" but always click "Discard".

In order to use the voices on the keyboard, you must of course run a Pack Installation (either via USB stick or via WiFi). It is important that ALL Packs/contents that you want to have on the keyboard are selected in YEM.

P.S.
Using the YEM is the only way to make new Voices that are based on new Samples. A Voice Set file (e.g. .vce) only contains edited Voice Set parameters (and use the samples of the corresponding Preset Voice).

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: January 29, 2022, 06:50:34 PM by overover »

Offline LaHawk

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2022, 08:00:06 PM »
Thanks Chris,
Very clear explanation, but importing was not successful as I received a message "An error occurred and data could not be imported". Details showed .vce files that were not imported. I tried both importing to a current, and a new folder,  but no good. Could the error occur, because the voices were made on a Genos, and I have an SX-900 ?
Larry   PSR-SX900
 My You Tube Recordings

Offline EileenL

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2022, 10:31:28 PM »
Yes this could be a problem. Have you tried in YEM to create new pack and then import the voices into it. This may work for you.

Offline overover

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2022, 10:47:07 PM »
Thanks Chris,
Very clear explanation, but importing was not successful as I received a message "An error occurred and data could not be imported". Details showed .vce files that were not imported. I tried both importing to a current, and a new folder,  but no good. Could the error occur, because the voices were made on a Genos, and I have an SX-900 ?

Hi Larry,

You are probably not using the latest YEM version 2.8.1, but an older version, e.g. V2.7.0. If this is the case, please install YEM V2.8.1, then the import of this .ppf file should work. (It worked for me too. :)⁣)

P.S.
The problem has nothing to do with which Install Targets are currently in the YEM. However, this particular pack of Misu includes voices that have an orange colored icon. These could (besides their own samples) use internal samples from Tyros5/Genos and are then not fully compatible with PSR-S and SX models. In addition, such Voice Elements that use internal Tyros5/Genos samples could not be monitored on the computer (only directly on the Tyros5/Genos).

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: January 29, 2022, 10:49:43 PM by overover »

Offline LaHawk

« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2022, 11:19:39 PM »
Thanks Eileen and Chris,
Just checked. I have V2.70. After updating to to v2.8.1, I was able to install the Guitar Pro .PPL into a new YEM folder that I named Voices.
Appreciate the help :) 
BTW, I had to uninstall the old version of YEM before the new version would install
« Last Edit: January 29, 2022, 11:35:03 PM by LaHawk »
Larry   PSR-SX900
 My You Tube Recordings