Author Topic: Old Yamaha's "DanceKit" voice  (Read 4298 times)

Offline Musicnik

Old Yamaha's "DanceKit" voice
« on: January 25, 2022, 05:31:47 PM »
Hello everyone! Two years ago I had the PSR-550 instead Tyros 2. Tyros is really great, but I still miss the old Yamaha's DanceKit sound... I didn't think about sampling tht sounds from PSR-550 and sold it  ;D ;D ;D Does anyone know where I can get that voice?
-
Best regards,
Nick

Offline pjd

Re: Old Yamaha's "DanceKit" voice
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2022, 05:40:30 PM »
Ummm, I'm a bit confused.

Tyros 2 -- which you own? -- has the DanceKit drum kit. Isn't this kit based on the same samples as the PSR-550?

All the best -- pj

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2022, 05:02:03 AM »
Basically The tyros 2 can't load new voices like the psr s670/770/970/sx600/700/900/Tyros5 Genos. ect, can. But if you could have recorded the samples and had one of the keyboards that can load expansion packs you can use YEM. That;s all i can think of.

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2022, 09:44:15 AM »
Basically The tyros 2 can't load new voices like the psr s670/770/970/sx600/700/900/Tyros5 Genos. ect, can. But if you could have recorded the samples and had one of the keyboards that can load expansion packs you can use YEM. That;s all i can think of.

Hi Keyboard Master,

I have to contradict you here: Tyros2 CAN load new voices with its own samples, in the TVN and TVD Custom Voice format. (This format is the predecessor of the UVN / UVD Custom Voice format of Tyros3 / Tyros4.)

On the Tyros2 there is a "Voice Creator" feature that allows you to create your own Custom Voices from imported WAV or AIFF files. There is also a Voice Editor program with which the Custom Voices can be edited on the computer.

Of course, a disadvantage of Tyros2 and Tyros3 is that these models still work with volatile expansion memory modules (RAM). Therefore, the Custom Voices used must first be loaded into memory at each restart so that it may take a relatively long time to be "ready to play" after a restart.

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2022, 09:51:22 AM »
Oh Ok thanks for the correction. Good point thanks.

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2022, 07:32:31 PM »
If Musicnik means the PSR550 from 2001  (and not the much newer PSRs550 released in 2008), then he's correct; there were old samples on the PSR550/630/640/730/740 up to PSR2100/PSR9000 that were *very* heavy and 80's sounding. Nowhere near as crisp as the sampled drums introduced starting in Tyros 1; ironically the old 80's style samples sounded *better* than the new T1/PSR3000 drums (looking back, that was really the weak point on the T1/PSR3000, which they immediately started addressing with the new kits in the T2,T4 and now the Genos)

The Dance kit back then wasn't the same as the ones we get now, same goes for standard kit 1 & 2. They were very punchy and analog sounding, despite being (presumably) less memory intensive.

Yamaha *did* give us 1 kit of that old style in YEM, and that's the psr340 pack, if you want to check out what the old punchier (but not as clear) drums sounded like... they were particulaly fuzzy for the hi hats, and even the toms. It was just the kick and snare that had that really thick retro sound.
New new version of Standard Kit 1 is much, much cleaner, sampled at a higher res... but ultimately sounds a little lifeless (which they've since massively improved with Power Kit 1/2, Rock/Real/ and now the Revo kits)

Unfortunately you need T5/PSRs970 or newer to use YEM to install the 1 pre Tyros drum kit.

If he's talking about the s550 though, then that was a post Tyros keyboard, and doesn't contain any of the pre-tyros drums (that I recall).
You can tell them apart because the PSR550 used floppy disks, was painted silver champagne across most of the front face, the screen appeard green when off, and used a 12v power supply (Pa6d I think)
The PSRs550 was USB A port for data transfer, all black (although there was an all silver version too), with a blue & black lcd (looks dark blue when off), using a 16v power supply

Mark

Offline pjd

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2022, 10:22:38 PM »
Thanks for the explanation, Mark. It makes sense. Sometimes new is not always improved.

It's a shame that I left an old PSR-273 on the east coast (now 2,500 miles away).  :)

Oh, wait, wait, does the QY-70 (1997) qualify?

-- pj

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2022, 10:35:35 PM »
I just recycled an old qx5 and gave away an old spx90, never tried the qy-70, but it's from the right era, so it mostly likely had those older 'anlog sounding' drums.

But like I said, just put the PSR340 expansion pack on one of your boards,. and voila, one of the old drum kits (I wish they'd also make the old dance kit and rock kit available, those were *beefy*)

Mark

Offline Musicnik

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2022, 05:19:59 PM »
If Musicnik means the PSR550 from 2001  (and not the much newer PSRs550 released in 2008), then he's correct; there were old samples on the PSR550/630/640/730/740 up to PSR2100/PSR9000 that were *very* heavy and 80's sounding. Nowhere near as crisp as the sampled drums introduced starting in Tyros 1; ironically the old 80's style samples sounded *better* than the new T1/PSR3000 drums (looking back, that was really the weak point on the T1/PSR3000, which they immediately started addressing with the new kits in the T2,T4 and now the Genos)

The Dance kit back then wasn't the same as the ones we get now, same goes for standard kit 1 & 2. They were very punchy and analog sounding, despite being (presumably) less memory intensive.

Yamaha *did* give us 1 kit of that old style in YEM, and that's the psr340 pack, if you want to check out what the old punchier (but not as clear) drums sounded like... they were particulaly fuzzy for the hi hats, and even the toms. It was just the kick and snare that had that really thick retro sound.
New new version of Standard Kit 1 is much, much cleaner, sampled at a higher res... but ultimately sounds a little lifeless (which they've since massively improved with Power Kit 1/2, Rock/Real/ and now the Revo kits)

Unfortunately you need T5/PSRs970 or newer to use YEM to install the 1 pre Tyros drum kit.

If he's talking about the s550 though, then that was a post Tyros keyboard, and doesn't contain any of the pre-tyros drums (that I recall).
You can tell them apart because the PSR550 used floppy disks, was painted silver champagne across most of the front face, the screen appeard green when off, and used a 12v power supply (Pa6d I think)
The PSRs550 was USB A port for data transfer, all black (although there was an all silver version too), with a blue & black lcd (looks dark blue when off), using a 16v power supply

Mark
Yeah! I was talking about the OLD PSR-550 (2001) ;) And as I know, the same drumkit has the PSR-9k and 9kPro. So, how shall I use the voice from PSR-9k/(kPro on my T2? Sorry to keep you waiting))
-
Best regards,
Nick

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2022, 07:17:38 PM »
Unfortunately, as per my quoted comment, you can *only* install 1 of the old drum kit sounds (standard kit 1) as a YEM pack for Tyros 5, Genos, PSrs970/975/sx900, s770/775/sx700, s670/sx600, A3000, A5000. YEM doesn't work on anything older than T5, so I've got no solution for you; but maybe someone could download the PSR340 expansion pack, then record the drum samples and make a kit into a sample that the T2 *can* load?

As I no longer have access to a T2 (discontinued in 2008 here), I've got no way to try, sorry.

Mark

Offline pjd

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2022, 11:18:42 PM »
Hi Mark --

I was just horsing around with the 340 expansion pack. As you mentioned, it contains only the Standard Kit (no Dance Kit) and a few old PSR-340 voices.

Yamaha do not have a 340 pack built for Genos! YEM complains about "No instrument available that can use this pack" or whatever. I had to back up to a pre-CPF pack for the S970, containing PPF and PPI. Good thing I'm a pack rat.  :)

I may fire up my QY70 and compare sounds, Genos DanceKit vs. QY-70 DanceKit. I also have DanceKit on a PSS-A50, but that is probably the newer version. Too much trouble to install it on Genos...

Not much else to do today except explore -- pj

Offline pjd

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2022, 11:57:06 PM »
OK, it took a little while, but I recorded the PSS-A50 and the QY-70 Dance Kits. I posted a comparison at:

http://sandsoftwaresound.net/ye-olde-yamaha-dance-kit/

I also posted a WAV file containing the entire QY-70 Dance Kit in case anyone wants to slice and dice.

Have fun!

-- pj

The following users thanked this post: Keyboard Master, overover, Musicnik

Offline overover

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2022, 01:27:35 AM »
Hi Musicnik,

I just found a UVD (Tyros3/4 Custom Drum Voice) file "DanceKit" on my PC hard disk and converted it (using "Awave Studio") into TVD and TVN format (Tyros2 Custom Drum Voice / Custom Normal Voice). Maybe this is what you are looking for.

You can download a zip file containing both the TVD and TVN Voice file from my Dropbox:
>>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/b1wt630oa8c3gnk/tvd%20tvn%20DanceKit.zip?dl=0

The download size of the zip file is about 6.4 MB, the size of the unzipped files is about 5.2 MB each.

You should be able to load these Voice files into the Tyros2 using "Voice Creator > Individual Load".

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: February 01, 2022, 04:50:52 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: Roshure, Musicnik, robertusxiss

Offline Musicnik

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2022, 04:30:10 PM »
OK, it took a little while, but I recorded the PSS-A50 and the QY-70 Dance Kits. I posted a comparison at:

http://sandsoftwaresound.net/ye-olde-yamaha-dance-kit/

I also posted a WAV file containing the entire QY-70 Dance Kit in case anyone wants to slice and dice.

Have fun!

-- pj
Thank you very much, PJ)) That"s it!
-
Best regards,
Nick

The following users thanked this post: Whitecolin11

Offline EileenL

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2022, 05:43:42 PM »
Do you by any chance mean the sound produced on the 20's dance style. It uses the Dance kit to get that crackling record effect. The style still works as it should on the newer keyboard which means it is the same dance kit as used in older models.

Offline robertusxiss

« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2023, 02:42:06 AM »
Hi Musicnik,

I just found a UVD (Tyros3/4 Custom Drum Voice) file "DanceKit" on my PC hard disk and converted it (using "Awave Studio") into TVD and TVN format (Tyros2 Custom Drum Voice / Custom Normal Voice). Maybe this is what you are looking for.

You can download a zip file containing both the TVD and TVN Voice file from my Dropbox:
>>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/b1wt630oa8c3gnk/tvd%20tvn%20DanceKit.zip?dl=0

The download size of the zip file is about 6.4 MB, the size of the unzipped files is about 5.2 MB each.

You should be able to load these Voice files into the Tyros2 using "Voice Creator > Individual Load".

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris

Offline robertusxiss

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2023, 02:54:00 AM »
Tyros2, I tried to make tvd from wav files but failed, I also failed to convert awave uvd to tvd, failed again, I want to ask if there is any software other than awave that works 100 percent or make a youtube video thanks.