Author Topic: Volume pedal  (Read 2642 times)

M Osinga

Volume pedal
« on: January 22, 2022, 02:54:09 PM »
Dear people.

I have 2 keyboards, The tyros 4 and the SX 700
Is it possible to control both keyboards with one volume pedal?

Greetings Martin

Offline GregB

Re: Volume pedal
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2022, 10:57:05 PM »
Martin,

There are a few ways one might consider:

1 - If your SX700 or Tyros 4 has the ability to apply the controller volume to an aux input, you could route the audio of one keyboard through the other, and control it that way.  I just have an S950, and it can apply the controller volume to the mic input but not to the aux input, so in my situation I'd be sacrificing stereo to get this to work this way.

2 - Find a dual output controller pedal (note: not a stereo volume pedal).  Note that the outputs need to be completely independent outputs.

3 - If you're not using the onboard speakers, and have access to your mixed audio signal before it goes to your power amp / speakers, you can get a stereo volume pedal (not a controller pedal), like what a guitarist might use, that you can insert between your keyboard submix and your final mix or your speakers/amp.

4 - Do not try: connecting one pedal to both keyboards using a Y-cable.  In order to "read" the foot pedal, the keyboard has to apply a small voltage (such as 5 volts) to it, and if the voltages used by the two keyboards happen to be different, or if in other ways the circuits are incompatible, you could damage the foot pedal inputs on one or both keyboards.

- Greg
PSR-S950
PSR-520
1920 Bush & Lane Upright Grand

M Osinga

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2022, 05:37:14 AM »
Martin,

1 - If your SX700 or Tyros 4 has the ability to apply the controller volume to an aux input, you could route the audio of one keyboard through the other, and control it that way.  I just have an S950, and it can apply the controller volume to the mic input but not to the aux input, so in my situation I'd be sacrificing stereo to get this to work this way.

2 - Find a dual output controller pedal (note: not a stereo volume pedal).  Note that the outputs need to be completely independent outputs.

3 - If you're not using the onboard speakers, and have access to your mixed audio signal before it goes to your power amp / speakers, you can get a stereo volume pedal (not a controller pedal), like what a guitarist might use, that you can insert between your keyboard submix and your final mix or your speakers/amp.

4 - Do not try: connecting one pedal to both keyboards using a Y-cable.  In order to "read" the foot pedal, the keyboard has to apply a small voltage (such as 5 volts) to it, and if the voltages used by the two keyboards happen to be different, or if in other ways the circuits are incompatible, you could damage the foot pedal inputs on one or both keyboards.

- Greg
Dear Greg

Thanks for your reply
But then which pedal is suitable for Yamaha?

Greetings Martin

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2022, 09:07:09 AM »
Dear people.

I have 2 keyboards, The tyros 4 and the SX 700
Is it possible to control both keyboards with one volume pedal?

Greetings Martin

Hi Martin,

As already mentioned by Greg, TRS expression jacks have a control voltage (an expression pedal works electrically as a so-called "voltage divider"), a normal expression pedal like the Yamaha FC7 should NOT be electrically connected to two keyboards at the same time in order to avoid damage.

There are so-called "dual expression pedals". These have two expression outputs that can be used independently (i.e. electrically separated), e.g. the Boss EV-30:
>>> https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EV30--boss-ev-30-dual-expression-pedal

However, I would do it differently: Just use two FC7 pedals placed right next to each other. If necessary, you can also mechanically connect the two pedals to each other with the supplied metal strap on the bottom of the pedal. (See the attached picture.)

This way you can easily operate both pedals at the same time with one foot, but you can still operate them individually if necessary (e.g. leave one pedal fully turned up and only operate the other).

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 23, 2022, 09:12:19 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

M Osinga

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2022, 01:52:37 PM »
Martin,

- Greg

Hello Greg.

Thanks for the ideas.

It does become a busy situation under the keyboard. But I never knew this could be done. But am also going to look into the boss ev-30 dual expression pedal. I also have 2 pedals to the left of the keyboard for both keyboards to control the lesley.

Greetings Martin

[attachment deleted by admin]