Author Topic: Portable Genos with a 12v Battery  (Read 1357 times)

Offline DaveS

Portable Genos with a 12v Battery
« on: January 22, 2022, 01:56:41 AM »
I had seen a setup using a keyboard (actually a Roland, not Yamaha - but doubt it matters much), a 12v battery and a voltage inverter (12vDC - 240vAC) as used with mobile homes and the like, and it appeared to work very well for him.  He ran the keyboard output into a battery-powered amp.  This fellow was playing at a local market some weeks ago.  Wish I had have asked him how he went with it.

Wondering if this kind of setup is ok to use with the Genos?  What kind of wattage (output) would I need to do this on the inverter?

Cheers

Dave
Genos, Fender Acoustic Guitar, Lap Steel, Besson Cornet
Entertainer at local restaurants, clubs etc
Radio presenter at CairnsFM, Cairns, Qld
Program Executive at Phoenix 96.3fm, Bundaberg

Offline MikeS

Re: Portable Genos with a 12v Battery
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2022, 04:35:03 AM »
Genos uses <20W of power, I measured it at 15.7W. Powered speakers will use a lot more.

Genos is expensive so use a pure sinewave invertor, don't risk damaging it with a modified squarewave invertor - you will be running the Genos for an extended period of time on battery power. You can buy a 300W pure sinewave invertor for <$100AUS, there are others on the market. You need to look at %THD <5%, idle power draw and efficiency. The following unit draws 5W at idle and 95% efficient at 100W load with a THD of 3%. A 12V 18AH battery will drive the Genos by itself for over 5 hours (up to 7) or about 90 minutes with a continuous 100W load.

https://www.jaycar.com.au/300w-12vdc-to-240vac-pure-sine-wave-inverter-electrically-isolated/p/MI5732

The following users thanked this post: DaveS

Offline DaveS

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2022, 04:52:24 AM »
Thanks for a very informative response, Mike.  Exactly what I needed to know and be sure about.

Cheers

Dave

Offline DaveS

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2022, 05:03:47 AM »
There's actually a JayCar at the corner of my street, would you believe!