Author Topic: Copying a folder  (Read 2106 times)

Offline jcm2016

Copying a folder
« on: January 22, 2022, 12:20:48 AM »
Hello - I can't figure out how to do what seems like should be a very simple function: move a folder!   I have been trying to better organize my registrations. I have some folders where the contents of the folder are good, and I want to move the entire thing to a different place.  When I select the folder, I don't see a move option.  I can move many registration banks at once, so I figured out a work around.  I selected all the contents of the folder, then pasted them into a new folder with the same name as the old one.  Then went back and deleted the original folder.  It works, but I still feel like I must be missing something!   Am I? 

Many thanks in advance.

Divemaster

Re: Copying a folder
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2022, 10:52:48 AM »
That's the way I'm doing it too. But there must be an easier way, so I'll be watching your post with interest.

I find the Owner Manual which is supplied with the PSR-SX700 / SX900 extremely frustrating to use, where the file systems are concerned, in that they are very sketchy about giving clear, easy to follow information about performing certain what should be pretty basic operations.
Too often the user is faced with a "Do you wish to overwrite this folder" (which is a certain nuclear option resulting in the complete loss of the source  folder itself)  Twice now I have used this wretched option and then the folders can no longer be found at all. They have quite literally gone altogether....or it refers to buttons that don't even exist. For example it shows Press on the file button....when it actually means press on the folder button. Very Confusing to new users. 
I have to keep going back to my pc to resurrect files and folders that have simply disappeared from the keyboard altogether. Without backups, I'd have been stuffed.

I've had plenty of Yamaha's including my recently sold Tyros, and this manual is probably the worst. The Tyros manuals are far better, far more detailed, and as these instruments are supposedly far more up to date, you'd have hoped the manuals would have been far more comprehensive then they are.

I live in hope that somebody at Yamaha might just re-write it so that it can actually be understood.

I'm actually reaching a point where I wish I had kept my Tyros.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2022, 11:01:28 AM by Divemaster »

Offline EileenL

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2022, 11:44:19 AM »
To Move a whole folder you first select Copy and THEN select the folder and it becomes high lighted Press Copy again and select where you want to put it and then press Copy Here. The whole folder and content is now there. When copying any folder DO NOT select it until after you have pressed COPY.

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively, juliofluminense

Offline jcm2016

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2022, 03:38:55 PM »
Eileen - thanks the response.  I followed your directions and that did indeed copy the entire folder to a new location.  But it didn't "move" the folder, because the original is still in its original place.   I simply deleted that original folder and then I had achieved what I wanted.   

I tried extrapolating your directions by pressing Move before I had selected the folder, and it wouldn't allow me to select a folder. 

So it seems, amazingly, that I cannot simply move a folder in one step - put another way, the Move function is for registrations, not for folders.

@Divemaster - this is my first arranger so I have nothing to compare to. That said, I've tried to read the manual and guides etc cover to cover, and to refer to them, and have found videos and this forum to be infinitely more helpful

BOAC

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2022, 03:51:51 PM »
>I find the Owner Manual which is supplied with the PSR-SX700 / SX900 extremely frustrating to use and this manual is probably the worst.
<Hurrah. I thought I was the only person who thought that

>I live in hope that somebody at Yamaha might just re-write it so that it can actually be understood.
<I hope it is written by, or proof read by somone who hasnt a clue as to how the 900 works

>I also have access to an ELS2X and that handbook whilst big is a joy to search.

>I am thinking of doing a flow chart for ALL the menus, I am so confused.

>Thank goodness for top Yamaha support and forums like this, otherwise I might have given up ages ago.

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2022, 05:41:45 PM »
Eileen - thanks the response.  I followed your directions and that did indeed copy the entire folder to a new location.  But it didn't "move" the folder, because the original is still in its original place.   I simply deleted that original folder and then I had achieved what I wanted.   

I tried extrapolating your directions by pressing Move before I had selected the folder, and it wouldn't allow me to select a folder. 

So it seems, amazingly, that I cannot simply move a folder in one step - put another way, the Move function is for registrations, not for folders.

@Divemaster - this is my first arranger so I have nothing to compare to. That said, I've tried to read the manual and guides etc cover to cover, and to refer to them, and have found videos and this forum to be infinitely more helpful

You're right, you cannot move a folder. We've never been able to move a folder in any Yamaha keyboard. The workaround is to copy and delete.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Divemaster

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2022, 06:03:35 PM »
Thanks for your post BOAC.

No, you're certainly not on your own. The manual is a most confusing and uninformative book. I've read it cover to cover and it just doesn't have enough information for a new user.

For keyboards costing £1000 + I think Yamaha would do well to follow your suggestion, in that a large number of us are NOT professional musicians, and the manual needs to be written in a FAR more understandable way.
Had I not had a Tyros previously, I too would be really struggling, and I have to say it will definitely influence my choice of future keyboards.

If you do decide to make some flowcharts will you please share them.

My thanks also to those on Youtube, and more particularly on these forums, who are so patient and helpful with advice.

Maybe somebody far more knowledgeable than us could simplify the instructions for the whole file handling systems on these keyboards. I would happily pay for an extra book to explain this.

Maybe one of those Yellow Books. The Dummies Guide to the Yamaha PSR SX700 and PSR 900 keyboards.

Kind regards
Keith.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2022, 06:16:58 PM by Divemaster »

Online overover

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2022, 07:49:45 PM »
Hi BOAC,
Hi Keith (Divemaster),

I see that you are talking about "the manual". In fact, there are THREE manuals: Owner's Manual, Reference Manual and Data List. The supplied printed SX900/700 Owner's Manual is now out of date because the new Firmware V1.10 is out. Updated versions of the manuals are available for download from the SX900 or SX700 download site.

If you have not already done so, please download the three manuals mentioned:

SX900 download site:
>>> https://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/musical_instruments/keyboards/arranger_workstations/psr-sx900/downloads.html#product-tabs

SX700 download site:
>>> https://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/musical_instruments/keyboards/arranger_workstations/psr-sx700/downloads.html#product-tabs

I generally recommend always opening the Owner's Manual and Reference Manual on the computer at the same time and using the PDF reader's search function (mostly Ctrl + F). In this way, you can quickly find all the relevant text passages that contain a specific search term.

I do NOT think that the Yamaha manuals are bad, but (almost) everything important is in there. And if something isn't there, or you can't find it, there's still the Forum ... :)

I've been working with Yamaha arranger keyboards since PSR-9000 times. (I'm currently working with Tyros5 and Genos.) Most of my knowledge of Yamaha keyboards, digital pianos and synths has come from studying the relevant manuals. (I currently have the manuals for over 250 Yamaha models on my computer. ;) )

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: January 22, 2022, 08:07:07 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: MadrasGiaguari

Offline jcm2016

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2022, 10:04:47 PM »
I also would be wiling to pay for a more intuitive and helpful guide / manual.  I've lots watched many videos and spent a lot of time on this forum (including the very helpful tutorial area).  Maybe there simply  isn't a big enough market for a better guide / manual to incentivise someone to spend the time creating it.  Or maybe it's an untapped opportunity for someone

BOAC

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2022, 12:17:34 AM »
Thank you for the links.
Re the training, I'm thinking of asking for a days training on the inner workings of the 900 from my local dealer.
Maybe (SE England) if anyone else is interested they should mention it here or start a new thread.

If they agree, I'm going to go ahead anyway, but in some ways the more the merrier.
I'm not really interested in how to play, or sounds to play.
But more how the operating/file system/memory system works
If there is time then I don't mind doing registrations/sounds/styles but it's not my primary concern

Divemaster

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2022, 11:34:57 AM »
Hi Chris

Thanks for the idea of looking at the updated online manuals, all 3 of which I have. I actually printed all three off to study when I was waiting for my keyboard to be delivered.

Unfortunately there is actually NO difference in the wording of them, since the firmware update.
My Owners manual for example VAZ 2410 refers to file information on pages 33, 34 and 35.

The reference manual has almost no information about file movement at all.

The idea was good though.