Author Topic: Tyros 4 and Reaper  (Read 4171 times)

Offline Pedrinho

Tyros 4 and Reaper
« on: January 19, 2022, 01:48:12 AM »
Hey guys!
Can someone please tell me how to connect Tyros 4 with Reaper (Daw) and be able to control the keyboard from it?

M Osinga

Re: Tyros 4 and Reaper
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2022, 09:16:23 AM »
Hello Pedrinho

I would check out this video on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwDcTPn2dvc

Greetings Martin

Offline overover

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2022, 10:19:59 AM »
Hey guys!
Can someone please tell me how to connect Tyros 4 with Reaper (Daw) and be able to control the keyboard from it?

Hi Pendrinho,

Welcome to the PSR Tutorial Forum!

Please answer the following questions first:

- Do you work with a Windows PC or a Mac?

- Which Windows/macOS version is installed?

- How do you want to establish the MIDI connection from the Tyros4 to the computer (USB direct connection or external MIDI interface)?

- Do you intend to work exclusively at MIDI level, or do you also want to record the T4 outputs in AUDIO format in the DAW?

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline Pedrinho

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2022, 04:58:25 AM »
Hi Pendrinho,

Welcome to the PSR Tutorial Forum!

Please answer the following questions first:

- Do you work with a Windows PC or a Mac?

- Which Windows/macOS version is installed?

- How do you want to establish the MIDI connection from the Tyros4 to the computer (USB direct connection or external MIDI interface)?

- Do you intend to work exclusively at MIDI level, or do you also want to record the T4 outputs in AUDIO format in the DAW?

Best regards,
Chris

Macbook

catalina

Direct USB connection

I intend to work only via MIDI

Thanks for listening!

Offline overover

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2022, 01:49:45 PM »
Thanks for the answers to my questions, Pedrinho!

If you have not already done so, please first install the "USB-MIDI Driver V1.3.2-2 for Mac macOS 10.15-OS X 10.5" on your Mac:
>>> https://uk.yamaha.com/en/support/updates/index.html?c=keyboards&k=usb-midi

Important: The USB connection between the USB-to-Host terminal of the T4 and the computer must be established BEFORE starting the USB-MIDI driver installation.

On the T4, press "Function > MIDI" and make sure the Preset MIDI Template "All Parts" is selected. Alternatively, you could use the "KBD & STYLE" template. The difference is this:

- With "All Parts", the keyboard parts (Right 1-3, Left) are sent on 4 different MIDI channels, and at least one part must be switched on for keyboard data to be transmitted.

- With "KBD & STYLE" the Right parts are called "Upper" part and transmitted on MIDI channel 1. The Left part is considered the "Lower" part and is transmitted on channel 2. Keyboard data is also transmitted here when all keyboard parts are switched off.

With both of these MIDI templates, the keyboard data is transmitted via port 1 (= MIDI A). By the way, port 2 (= MIDI B) cannot be transmitted via USB, but only via the DIN MIDI B Out socket.

Normally you always address the SONG parts of the T4 from an external MIDI sequencer (DAW). So set "Digital Workstation-1" as the MIDI OUT port for the desired tracks in Reaper. (This is receive port 1 of the Yamaha USB-MIDI Driver.) The keyboard parts of the T4 would be addressed via "Digital Workstation-2", which is normally not desired.

Set the MIDI IN port to "Digital Workstation" in Reaper. (This is the USB transmit port of the Yamaha USB-MIDI Driver.)

Important: In order to avoid so-called "MIDI loops", either the MIDI THRU function in the DAW must be deactivated, or you set the T4 to "Local Control OFF" in the MIDI display (which internally separates the keyboard from the MIDI sound generation of the T4 ) and activate MIDI THRU in the DAW.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: February 04, 2022, 01:58:00 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

Offline Pedrinho

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2022, 04:46:02 AM »
Yes, I did just that.  But I'm having difficulties to access insert Sysex information in Daw itself.  Thank you very much for your great attention, Chris!

Offline overover

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2022, 08:20:24 AM »
Yes, I did just that.  But I'm having difficulties to access insert Sysex information in Daw itself.  Thank you very much for your great attention, Chris!

Thanks for your feedback, Pedrinho!

The easiest (and best) way is to first record a MIDI file directly on the keyboard (either a "rough version" of the entire song, or just a few bars, but already with the desired voices) and then import this MIDI file into the DAW . In this way you already have the complete MIDI file header (1st bar) with all the necessary controllers, program changes and SysEx in the DAW and can continue working on this basis.

You could also create Registrations for the keyboard voice settings on the keyboard. If necessary, you can call up these Registrations and record the sent data in the DAW. Please note that many Effect SysEx are MIDI channel specific (and therefore need to be adjusted if the Voice in question is used on a different MIDI channel).

Another option would be to export the song from the DAW as a MIDI file (preferably in SMF0 format, but SMF1 is also possible), then load it back on the keyboard and make the desired Voice and Effect settings there. Please note, however, that when you save a modified MIDI file in the Song Creator (tab "Channel" > Setup > Execute > Save), only the settings in the header of the MIDI file (1st bar) are written/accepted (valid for the entire song). If Voice changes are required during the song, they must either be programmed in the DAW or inserted in the Edit tab of the Song Creator.

By the way, you could also take a look at the "Midifile Optimizer" from the German company "Midiland". There is now also a Mac version. The "Optimizer" automatically writes all necessary SysEx to the MIDI file for Voice changes and Effect/DSP processing, for example you have quick access to all DSP parameters, the Part EQ (including setting the working frequency) and other Voice Set parameters, Drum Editor, Drum Splitter and much more.

The "Optimizer" is not cheap (200 Euros), but worth every penny. Under certain circumstances, however, even the Demo version, which you can download from the following link, is sufficient. While this cannot be used for saving, all functions are available so that you could simply record the required MIDI data from the Optimizer in the DAW.
>>> https://www.midiland.de/de/OptimizerXI_DLdemo.htm

See also the two attached pictures.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: February 07, 2022, 08:23:28 AM by overover »

Offline Pedrinho

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2022, 04:20:57 AM »
Thank you for the informations!

I'm trying to insert it in the daw itself, in Reaper, but I don't have much skill to insert this information. For Soft I think it's very redundant, since we can create in the daw and send the information as we want. In this method, perhaps, ends up spending much more time.
Sorry for the delay in responding and thanks again!

Offline overover

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2022, 03:20:48 PM »
Thanks for your feedback, Pedrinho!

Best regards,
Chris