Author Topic: Two sets of stereo active speakers  (Read 1463 times)

Offline bpsafran

Two sets of stereo active speakers
« on: January 18, 2022, 05:45:14 PM »
I would be grateful if anyone had experience connecting a Tyros or Genos (in my case, a Tyros5) to two sets of stereo powered speakers.  I have a soundbar+subwoofer as well as a small stereo PA amp and speakers.  The soundbar is in front of the keyboard and the PA speakers in the back of the room.  Is it useful to connect them both - one as line out and the other as aux out?   Should I consider connecting one as line out and the other as sub1 and sub2 with specific channels on those sub outs?

Thanks

The following users thanked this post: Taffinator

Offline svpworld

Re: Two sets of stereo active speakers
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2022, 08:01:48 PM »
I do this with my Genos when playing at church. Lately I’ve had to sit away from the congregation, with my main PAS speaker system some distance from me. I’m using a iLoud active speaker from IK multmedia as a personal monitor near me when playing.  I connect my main Yamaha PAS active speaker system to the main line outputs of the Genos, and connect my iLoud monitor speaker to the Aux out (Sub 3 and 4) jacks.  I’ve adjusted the settings on Genos to feed the main L/R signal to both the main outputs AND the sub 3/4 outputs. The only downside though is the sub 3/4 outputs are at fixed volume, so not controlled by the master volume control on the Genos.  Not too much of an issue as my iLoud active speaker has it’s own volume control, but it would have been nice if there was an option to adjust both sets of outs via the volume master on Genos.  I’m guessing it’s similar with Tyros 5. I might however just make a pair of splitters so I can connect both sets of speakers to the main outputs.  Given they are just line level signals, I’m sure it won’t be a problem. Another option would be to use the headphone output to drive one set of speakers - a bit noisier but gives the advantage of both being controllable from the master volume.

Simon

Offline bpsafran

Re: Two sets of stereo active speakers - Report
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2022, 12:09:49 PM »
I received my Harmon Kardon SB20 soundbar + subwoofer (300W output total) that is now about 1m from me when seated at the Tyros5.  Previously I used a stereo powered PA that we about 5m behind me.  I could never hear very good stereo separation of the voices that way and the soundbar is much better.. In addition, the higher pitches are clearer on the soundbar and there are subtle aspects of the styles that I never heard before. I still use the stereo PA, but only for all the song tracks (midi) using the Sub1 and Sub2 outputs for them all.  The song tracks in my setup are channeled to the excellent V-Console software (that requires a Windows Tablet) to give the player an additional 8 controllable voices for upper, lower and bass as the user wishes:
https://www.tyrosmagic.com/v-console
This is available for Tyros/Genos/PSR SX keyboards.  So the extra voices are in back of me and the main Tyros5 voices (right, left, styles) are (almost) in my face.  This extra spatial separation enhances the use of both.

Regards

Sam

The following users thanked this post: Taffinator