Author Topic: Connecting the Genos to Audacity  (Read 2264 times)

Offline chesterkins

Connecting the Genos to Audacity
« on: January 16, 2022, 02:32:26 PM »
Can somebody help me with the correct way to connect my Genos to Audacity which sits on my PV
I have a Behringer U Phoria UMC 22 as a USB interface
Which ports in the back of the genos should I use and which port(s) on the UMC 22
I have tried connecting to the instrument port of the UMC with no result

Offline overover

Re: Connecting the Genos to Audacity
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2022, 04:25:39 PM »
Hi chesterkins,

Normally, to connect a stereo keyboard to a computer, you would use an audio interface that has two identical Line inputs. The Behringer UMC22 is not ideal in this regard, as it only has one combined "Mic/Line" input and one "Instrument" input. However, Line and Instrument inputs have different impedance and sensitivity (possibly even a slightly different sound). The only possibility in your case is to work with two "TS to TS" cables (mono jack plugs on both ends), which you connect to the two inputs (Mic/Line and Instrument). For the reason mentioned above, you may have to set the two Gain controls differently so that both stereo channels are at the same level on the computer.

Note: Do NOT use balanced cables (TRS plugs)!

On the Genos you can either use the Main Outputs (adjustable via the Master Volume control) or the Aux Out sockets if they are set to "Aux Out" in the Line Out display (fixed volume, independent of the Master Volume).

The audio interface is connected to the computer via a USB cable. As far as I know, the driver recommended by Behringer for the audio interface must be installed under Windows.

If required, you can connect your studio monitor speakers to the Output sockets of the audio interface.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: January 16, 2022, 04:29:28 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline chesterkins

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2022, 05:28:34 PM »
Thanks Chris
Is there a USB interface with 2 Identical inputs you would recommend

The following users thanked this post: egianto

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2022, 07:18:02 PM »
Thanks Chris
Is there a USB interface with 2 Identical inputs you would recommend

The next larger Behringer models UMC202HD (2 Line outputs) and UMC204HD (4 Line outputs) each offer two identical Mic/Line inputs.

Unfortunately, I can't give you an explicit recommendation for a specific interface or a specific brand. I am using an older "E-MU 0404" that is currently no longer manufactured. There is an almost unmanageable range of audio interfaces from a wide variety of manufacturers. Basically, I recommend a resolution of at least 24-bit and a sampling rate of 192 kHz. (The Behringer UMC22 you mentioned is only 16-bit/48kHz).

Of course, it is also important that the USB version of the audio interface is compatible with the computer used. Some current interfaces are only compatible with USB 3.0/3.1. However, slightly older computers may only support USB 2.0.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: January 16, 2022, 07:29:41 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2022, 08:16:54 PM »
Scarlett Focusrite are good! I have a Scarlett Focusrite 2i2, but you can get them with many outputs.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2022, 01:08:21 PM »
Hi Toril
Focusrite sound boxes are the best in my view.
I have the Scarlett 6i6  as you can connect to computer via usb and have two line outs  and midi in and out.
This way you can run a daw like Cubase and  Audacity and run a good pair of monitors off of it. Cubase better though .
I will wait until it Konks out or lack of future drivers to upgrade.

All the best
JOhn :)
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline chesterkins

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2022, 11:17:09 AM »
Thanks Guys
Bought the 2020HD   will see results when I try it

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2022, 12:53:12 PM »
The next larger Behringer models UMC202HD (2 Line outputs) and UMC204HD (4 Line outputs) each offer two identical Mic/Line inputs.

Unfortunately, I can't give you an explicit recommendation for a specific interface or a specific brand. I am using an older "E-MU 0404" that is currently no longer manufactured. There is an almost unmanageable range of audio interfaces from a wide variety of manufacturers. Basically, I recommend a resolution of at least 24-bit and a sampling rate of 192 kHz. (The Behringer UMC22 you mentioned is only 16-bit/48kHz).

Of course, it is also important that the USB version of the audio interface is compatible with the computer used. Some current interfaces are only compatible with USB 3.0/3.1. However, slightly older computers may only support USB 2.0.

Hi Chris

How on Earth are you managing to keep that EMU 0404 stable. The drivers must be well out of date.
That machine was the worst thing that i had ever had way back in the 2010's
Glitch and splutter and stutter.
As soon as i changed over to Focusrite,  stability , quality 100%  and even it works on Windows 11 like a dream.
Focusrite 6i6 first gen and a pair of Focal Alpha monitors and i have had near perfection for the price.
I may upgrade to 4th gen when that arrives . Focusrite boxes are built like tanks and quality build.

All the Best
John :)

Best regards,
Chris
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline overover

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2022, 01:21:11 PM »
Hi John,

I'm using the latest available 64-bit Beta driver for the E-MU 0404, and it still runs on Windows 10. :)

I'm not currently using Windows 11. (I currently have Windows 11 installed in a virtual machine in VirtualBox on Windows 10 for testing purposes only.)

P.S.
I'll probably get an up-to-date USB audio interface in the near future, but I haven't decided on a specific model yet. There are many very good interfaces these days.

P.P.S.
As just mentioned in another thread: When using the quote function, please make sure to write your answer OUTSIDE the "quote" tags (so that your answer doesn't appear inside the speech bubble of the quoted text). ;)

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: January 19, 2022, 02:10:52 PM by overover »